Hold on to your 100 series, fellas, don't make the same mistake I did. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But you had me curious so I just went and mesured my current "lifted"setup. Its approximately
23" HTF at my normal ride height with 3" of droop.
Ok.. So 26" at HTF at full droop.

This is great info to know comparing these 2. I plan on putting 500k on my LX but would love to get the wife a 200 that I migrate over to when she starts thinking she wants something smaller again.😉 I have always loved the 80 body style the most but really like LX too. I never look at it and have to convince myself to like it.

I never understood the misconception about the 200 over the 100 . The 200 is 1.6 inches wider and about 160 pounds heavier it is 4 inches longer on the same wheelbase. I started out before buying looking at 80's then 100's and landed on a 200 series. The difference is minimal. The cost overlaps a lot between all three. Now back to your regular thread.
My point was really to say its not worth it (to me) to upgrade into the 200 series platform to be used for a trail rig for the reasons I mentioned- not doubting its capability; in fact I think its more capable in many ways especially (2013+) than a 100- but for me it’s cost prohibitive. (My heart yearns for a 85 mini truck with a tray to crawl around with)

My point was really to say its not worth it (to me) to upgrade into the 200 series platform to be used for a trail rig for the reasons I mentioned- not doubting its capability; in fact I think its more capable in many ways especially (2013+) than a 100- but for me it’s cost prohibitive. (My heart yearns for a 85 mini truck with a tray to crawl around with)
What happened in 2013?

What happened in 2013?
Facelift year. A lot of interior upgrades and comforts. Wheeling wise you get a few more MTS modes and Crawl Control speeds. Plus turn assist.

Jumping in with my 2 cents worth, for what it’s worth. I’ve owned five (5) LC’s over the years. 1- 1983 FJ40, 2- 1988 FJ62’s, 1- 1989, and 1- 1991.
I now drive a classic silver/gray interior, loaded 2007 LX and DW drives a 2015 LX, white with linen interior, both acquired from original owners with low miles, stock and in awesome condition. I waited patiently to find these. They drive so sweet, comfort level is incredible, nothing like the LC’s, Denai’s, suburban’s, BMW’s or MB’s we’ve had over the years, and those were newer too. The LX is the perfect length and width, an extremely well balanced machine just as they sit. It has crossed my mind a time or two to sell the ’07, but that thought gets quickly dismissed, once I’ve come back to reality after seeing other options. Been there, done that. I sometimes think I need a truck, to haul junk and yard debris to the landfill, pick up a 2x4, mulch, etc. My conclusion so far has been, don’t do anything that requires a PU! Or, borrow my bud’s, let them pay for ownig an empty bed. LOL!

Seriously though, I love the way my LX’s drive, and I can not imagine doing without one, or two. And, with less than 3000 2007’s sold in the US, and less than 4000 2015’s, despite a few quirks (’07 sound system sucks!), the rarity of these two models alone makes driving them very enjoyable, on any given day
IMG_3979.JPG
IMG_9933.JPG
!

Well she's officially off to her new home in Cali, where she shall stay rust free. Btw, this looks sketch as hell, the way he loaded the heaviest vehicle in the back, dangling like that for a 3000 mile journey.

51290429380_ce06c3b8f6_b.jpg

51289590288_f1402a7e45_b.jpg

51288683272_bfd8f125c7_b.jpg

This is all i have left right now, until i figure out what i want next...

51289428706_52d1895632_b.jpg

50286381291_c8eaf5898e_h.jpg

Front diffs. The Achilles heel of the 100. Weak case and carrier. Even the 4 pinion.

I never dug into this further but on one of the 4x4 Action videos (Australia) the guys in the built up 200 following Shaun-o were snapping drive shafts on their 200 left and right seemingly. Any idea if that is common or what was going on there?

Last edited:
I never dug into this further but on one of the 4x4 Action videos (Australia) the guys in the built up 200 following Shaun-o were snapping drive shafts on their 200 left and right seemingly. Any idea is that is common or what was going on there?
They are using aftermarket CVs

It is very rare to break a 200 CV. But good news is they usually break before the front diff acting as a fuse. Unlike the 100 where the OEM CV axles are stronger than the front diff.

They are using aftermarket CVs

It is very rare to break a 200 CV. But good news is they usually break before the front diff acting as a fuse. Unlike the 100 where the OEM CV axles are stronger than the front diff.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

Have we had many report of front diffs in 100s going after installing a locker? I vaguely remember that was one of the selling points when I did mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom