Hold on to your 100 series, fellas, don't make the same mistake I did. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah but you need a built JK on tons and 42s for the abuse you dish out.
Yeah, but like I’ve been telling ya, I’m easing back some. I’ve found a few limits. I’ll be good now 👍

You sound like a guy telling his nagging wife he's done binge drinking with the boys. I can quit anytime I want, get off my back!
Yeah. That too. 😎

I wheel my 200 HARD and I can tell you a built 200 on 35s isn't all that far behind an 80 on 35s. I wheel with built 80s and 60s and keep up pretty well. Ive never been in a spot were I was the only one that had to pull cable. Most people who throw shade on 200s have never wheeled one hard. They are mean machines.

I am not throwing shade at the 200 whatsoever, they are rad. What I am doing is throwing shade at the 100... torsion bars are stupid.

I am not throwing shade at the 200 whatsoever, they are rad. What I am doing is throwing shade at the 100... torsion bars are stupid.
Oh I know. I was more agreeing with you and adding some personal experience of hard wheeling in one. And I agree about the 100. Extremely limited front travel and a weak front diff. The Achilles Heel of the 100.

Oh I know. I was more agreeing with you and adding some personal experience of hard wheeling in one. And I agree about the 100. Extremely limited front travel and a weak front diff. The Achilles Heel of the 100.
soooooo who here that regrets selling their 100 wants to buy mine :) Literally every bushing in the front end has been replaced

soooooo who here that regrets selling their 100 wants to buy mine :) Literally every bushing in the front end has been replaced
Lol. The only regrets I have from selling mine is not waiting 6 more months. I thought the market was good when I sold it but now things are completely INSANE.

Lol. The only regrets I have from selling mine is not waiting 6 more months. I thought the market was good when I sold it but now things are completely INSANE.
i keep watching what stuff goes for... it's insane.... I'm sure there is someone out there who'd be happy to have my rig and enjoy using it. I think I'd rather have a 2" lift on my 80, 35's, sliders, locker, and call it a day. that's pretty much what everyone runs in our local club, even the hardcore guys.

i keep watching what stuff goes for... it's insane.... I'm sure there is someone out there who'd be happy to have my rig and enjoy using it. I think I'd rather have a 2" lift on my 80, 35's, sliders, locker, and call it a day. that's pretty much what everyone runs in our local club, even the hardcore guys.
If I didn’t have to drive 7 hours to get to decent wheeling I would have an 80 too. Over here on the east coast an 80 on 37s will do pretty much anything you throw at it. 35s are great til we start diffing out in 24” ruts.
By this time next year I hope to be running 37s on the 200 for that very reason.

If I didn’t have to drive 7 hours to get to decent wheeling I would have an 80 too. Over here on the east coast an 80 on 37s will do pretty much anything you throw at it. 35s are great til we start diffing out in 24” ruts.
By this time next year I hope to be running 37s on the 200 for that very reason.

eager to see how 37's on the 200 look, i think i saw one green rig running them?

The nice thing is that I have really great wheeling pretty much an hour any direction... and it just gets more and better the further i go. but it's also 110F here today....

I refuse to participate in this circle jerk thread.

Oops.

Funny.

I am definitely not in the circle jerking circle.

I built my 100 out to the max less a SaS. Drove it to Panama and back over 5 months living out of it for a fair amount of that time. Then sold it. Now I am all about the 80-series, which I also had before the 100 I just had to come back to them. Only other Cruiser I have interest in right now (for myself) is the 70-series pickups or maybe a 73-series or even bigger maybe a 77-series. That or a 60-series. Otherwise, not much interest for me.

They certainly are very reliable trucks, the 100 that is. They can do soso off-road. They are nice and comfy. But to me they are boring and bland. The body lines and front end (nose/hood/grill) is also hard for me to like, even when I try. They are just bland and Subaru-ish. I also can't stand the suspension, sure its fine on road but sucks off-road. I also don't like how stiff the front end gets as soon as you lift it, that sectioned concrete on the highway, thunk thunk thunk, ya I don't like it. Torsion bars, meh, Toyota should have left that to Chevy imho.

If I ever get another 100, I am turning it into a 105 100%. Now that I could get into and like. :)

Cheers

eager to see how 37's on the 200 look, i think i saw one green rig running them?

The nice thing is that I have really great wheeling pretty much an hour any direction... and it just gets more and better the further i go. but it's also 110F here today....
After Colorado/Moab next month my current 35s will be shot and Im moving to a 36. I feel like I'll run the 36s until they are shot (about 11-12 months for me) and then go for the 37. I think I can learn a lot running the 36s and tweak things in prep for the move to 37. I don't think it will be too tough to fit them so that they are functional.

I hear ya about the heat. I was out in the dirt today cutting mangled bolts off the truck to get my skids off to prep for a Tundra conversion. It was 98* with like 95% humidity. Just plain miserable

I saw that one in person down in Florida before I grabbed mine. I see how it got that price for sure.

I sold my old 100 for $35k. Nobody could believe it at the time, summer 2017. Now that seems like no big deal. Oh, it was a 2000 with 135,000 miles.

Cheers

I saw that one in person down in Florida before I grabbed mine. I see how it got that price for sure.
This is a 20K dollar truck. 25K if you are crazy. Please tell me what Im missing?

See my sig if you are close to Dayton and want to start with an almost rust free example. Locals only, these Rust Belt folks deserve a chance first!

:meh: I sold both my 100's in the last 18 months. They were great trucks, and the '04 went to a friend and neighbor, so I still see it around. Glad none of y'all are talking GX460's, because that'll be the next model hoarded. Wheel's better than the 100, WAY more comfy that the 4Runner, you lose the ball vent, but gain ventilated seats, feels way bigger than the 470, what's not to like? Not insanely priced (yet) like the 100 and 200.

:meh: I sold both my 100's in the last 18 months. They were great trucks, and the '04 went to a friend and neighbor, so I still see it around. Glad none of y'all are talking GX460's, because that'll be the next model hoarded. Wheel's better than the 100, WAY more comfy that the 4Runner, you lose the ball vent, but gain ventilated seats, feels way bigger than the 470, what's not to like? Not insanely priced (yet) like the 100 and 200.
Plus it gets 18-20 mpg running on KO2’s with a V8, and has a kick ass sound system.

A7262D26-50D0-49BE-BFB4-465275CB6F6C.jpeg

The ball vent is the only reason I drive toyotas

Funny.

I am definitely not in the circle jerking circle.

I built my 100 out to the max less a SaS. Drove it to Panama and back over 5 months living out of it for a fair amount of that time. Then sold it. Now I am all about the 80-series, which I also had before the 100 I just had to come back to them. Only other Cruiser I have interest in right now (for myself) is the 70-series pickups or maybe a 73-series or even bigger maybe a 77-series. That or a 60-series. Otherwise, not much interest for me.

They certainly are very reliable trucks, the 100 that is. They can do soso off-road. They are nice and comfy. But to me they are boring and bland. The body lines and front end (nose/hood/grill) is also hard for me to like, even when I try. They are just bland and Subaru-ish. I also can't stand the suspension, sure its fine on road but sucks off-road. I also don't like how stiff the front end gets as soon as you lift it, that sectioned concrete on the highway, thunk thunk thunk, ya I don't like it. Torsion bars, meh, Toyota should have left that to Chevy imho.

If I ever get another 100, I am turning it into a 105 100%. Now that I could get into and like. :)

Cheers

I kind of disagree with you in the looks category. I think 100's look good with some work done, not sure why people like the stock wheels at all. Torsion bars are the biggest tragedy, but radius arms aren't great either. 100 series have 2 torsion bars, 80 series have one giant torsion bar between the tires...

My biggest gripe is the width of the 100 series. Not much interior space gained, but its about 6" wider than an 80. tires stick out about the same as my 80, same wheel specs and the front axle of the 100 is 6" wider.

1101C1B7-F902-4BEC-8439-09145E6CAE97.jpeg

I like them both, but my favorite will always be the 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom