LS into my FJ45 LV thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
Dont get too excited, I'm on a fact finding and recommendation mission. I am a looong way from being ready to move forward with the actual install, but I figured I should start to formulate a game plan. There is not a lot of info on installing V8's into LV's. Jonathan Ward, of course being the main leader of the pack. So if you have info, know of links, parts, builds, etc, please post it up here. Here is what I am currently thinking. LS something or other with an automatic transmission using the factory transfer case. Is it doable? No clue. I should also mention that my LV currently has the entire drivetrain from a 1979 FJ55 installed into the frame. I have never started it and actually haven't finished it because I had doubts about keeping it and going w the LS V8 option. But I will need to mate the modern V8 power to that drivetrain. Also so I am clear, I am not super mechanically minded. I am more than capable, but my preferred idea of "shop time" is welding and fabrication. Just haven't done a lot of wrenching in my life, though I imagine that will change as the focus of my projects shifts from fabrication to mechanical. Another words, consider me a Newbie. Thanks for the help.

Here is my LV build three that has gone quite cold here on mud.

1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project

You need to contact @gmayer and look at his thread Buffalo Ny fj45LV. Sorry I wasn't able to copy the link.

It may take some time to find guys with experience with the LS stuff. I did a RamJet because it was literally a couple of wires and fuel.

I know Turn Key Motors here in Oceanside does a lot of LS stuff and I think the owner has a cruiser. Might check with them?

Turn Key Engine Supply- Performance Engines & Engine Parts

Sounds like a cool project.

Good luck!

Good time to tag along with the "farm fresh" LV build that is recieving an LS transplant currently.

Farm Fresh LV

Well after going thru Farm Fresh LV thread I am having Post Tramatic memories of all the blood sweet and tears, well no tears really, that went into getting my LV to the point where it sits today. I am not sure I could go backwards and start hacking up my beautiful floors and frame to install the LS. Nor am I sure I have the mental capacity to make it happen. s*** that’s a lot of work. I will continue to follow along and once my other projects are finished maybe this one will happen, or not. We shall see. Thx for posting links and such.

If you're bored with nothing to do, here's a link to my LS 55. It's not that bad of work to put one in and you would have an awesome traveling vehicle when done. The 55 and 45 are pretty close as far as mounting a Chevy....

SLOW 71

If you're bored with nothing to do, here's a link to my LS 55. It's not that bad of work to put one in and you would have an awesome traveling vehicle when done. The 55 and 45 are pretty close as far as mounting a Chevy....

SLOW 71

Thanks scrapdaddy, I will def check it out.

Don't ruin a perfectly good LV. (Way better than perfectly good)

Or be prepared to spend a ton of money doing it correctly. You literally have to modify every system in the truck.

I drive my 1F 3 speed LV throughout Atlanta on a regular bassis. Given that the axles and brakes are FJ60 parts helps but I wouldn't ruin the soul of the truck in exchange for a V8.

I'm with you Michael. And after seeing all the work the Scrapdaddy has done I can tell you I'm not up for the headache. Scrapdaddy, you have an amazing rig. I have way too much work already invested in my LV to this date to go a different route w the engine. The current 2F will have to work at least until I can say that it won't work for me. And that will mean actually driving it. Tho I do think the H55 might be worth the effort. I will have to look into that.

They are more fun when you are driving them.

IMG_3016.JPG

It may take some time to find guys with experience with the LS stuff. I did a RamJet because it was literally a couple of wires and fuel.

I know Turn Key Motors here in Oceanside does a lot of LS stuff and I think the owner has a cruiser. Might check with them?

Turn Key Engine Supply- Performance Engines & Engine Parts

Sounds like a cool project.

Good luck!

I put a TurnKey 5.3 in my LPB, and couldn't be more pleased with the drivability. Just like the Ramjet, it was a few wires and power and Bob's yer uncle. As their name indicates, they supply most all parts needed for the motor. Advanced Adapters can hook you up with the other things needed.

I wouldn't know. LOL . How warm does that thing get in the summer? My 40 will cook you during summer in Atlanta. I am guessing the 45 will be worse.

As hot as any tin box without AC. I just don't drive it when it's more than 85 outside.

Hey Mark,

I wasn't sure what your plans for the 45 were when finished. I built the 55 for traveling, we've been from Maine to Utah and a stock 71 55 just wasn't going to cut it for me. I tried to leave the looks of it stock and have a more giving soul, if you will. Good fortunes with your 45, and remember it's all about having fun.

Don't ruin a perfectly good LV. (Way better than perfectly good)

Or be prepared to spend a ton of money doing it correctly. You literally have to modify every system in the truck.

I drive my 1F 3 speed LV throughout Atlanta on a regular bassis. Given that the axles and brakes are FJ60 parts helps but I wouldn't ruin the soul of the truck in exchange for a V8.

I opted to swap in a F .5 and a 4 speed instead of waiting and doing a V8 swap in my LV. It's been about 4 years and 14000 miles and I still don't have a V8. The reason is the Toyota drive train does everything I ask it to do. The only time I need more power is on the big mountain grades on the interstate. That's it. My F.5 can cruise at 70 mph all day and I have done 85 at times too.

It is all about having fun like stated above. It's been way more fun driving my LV instead of building what I thought I needed.:smokin:

my Old link might be helpful...

I’m putting a 1UZFE with an H55 in mine.gott the bellhousing from Dellow in Australia, got a JDM engine , and I’m getting the ECU mod.ified by Lextreme v8 engines.yes, it’s a lot of mods and fiddling but it will be all Toyota when done. I would probably go 3Uz if I was starting to do it again... but the 1UZ is still perfect for the vehicle.

I’m putting a 1UZFE with an H55 in mine.gott the bellhousing from Dellow in Australia, got a JDM engine , and I’m getting the ECU mod.ified by Lextreme v8 engines.yes, it’s a lot of mods and fiddling but it will be all Toyota when done. I would probably go 3Uz if I was starting to do it again... but the 1UZ is still perfect for the vehicle.

Sounds very nice. What is a 3UZ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom