2.5"-3" Budget Based Heavy Lift? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lookin to finally treat my old girl a little lift :smokin:

For years, she's been running the original factory coils with 2" Metal Tech spacers up front and a set of 860 medium coils out back with factory LX450 shocks all around :pig:

She's pretty hefty with a bunch of accessories (bull bar front bumper, dual rear swingouts, full roof rack, front and rear winches, dual batts, 3rd row, bunch of recovery gear and a bit more planned like a set of sliders, roof top tent and a swing out awning) o_O

beachcruisindemo.jpg

20181229-090828.jpg

All the added weight actually has her sagging down to around stock height :doh:

Now, as some of you already know, I do a bit of long distance driving, so road manners is my main concern :steer:

I know everyone has their opinions on caster correction, but after reading up on endless threads, I've decided to go with MAF drop brackets (whenever they become available again) :doh:

Caster plates seem to be hit or miss, but I have yet to read about any driving complaints with the brackets :cool:

I'm not nearly as hardcore offroad as some of you guys......in fact, I have yet to push the factory stock suspension even remotely close to its limits, so a little loss in ground clearance usin gthe brackets is just fine by me as long as she performs well during normal onroad driving :meh:

All that being said, after just dropping a $h!t ton of cash on fresh rubber, I'm hoping to do this on a low budget :redface:

Assuming I'll be able to get a set of MAF brackets (they say it will be a couple of weeks), what are my options for a complete low buck 2.5"-3" heavy lift?

I think the best bang for the buck is 861/862 dual rate plus spacers.
Trail Tailor offers Tough Dog & TourFlex in dualr rate coils.
Next would be a Slinky 50mm HD or Dobinson 2.5" tapered 146/147VT

What is you current center hub to bottom of flare measurement?

Last edited:
‘Budget’ = any of the basic offerings from OME, Iron Man, Dobinsons, etc... All much of a muchness in terms of quality IMO but definite differences in terms of shock damping. E.G. OME known to be firm, Iron Man known to be quite soft.... Most important thing will be to get the correct springs for the weight of your vehicle. I’d suggest weighing it, then roughly adding up what you’re going to add, your kit etc to get a reasonably accurate idea.

@crikeymike

He fronts Dobinsons. He had a long conversation with me before agreeing to ship me anything. The springs perform as advertised for my application and body roll was vastly improved. Good luck with your journeys.

you up to 600,000 miles yet?

Lookin to finally treat my old girl a little lift :smokin:

For years, she's been running the original factory coils with 2" Metal Tech spacers up front and a set of 860 medium coils out back with factory LX450 shocks all around :pig:

She's pretty hefty with a bunch of accessories (bull bar front bumper, dual rear swingouts, full roof rack, front and rear winches, dual batts, 3rd row, bunch of recovery gear and a bit more planned like a set of sliders, roof top tent and a swing out awning) o_O

beachcruisindemo.jpg

20181229-090828.jpg

All the added weight actually has her sagging down to around stock height :doh:

Now, as some of you already know, I do a bit of long distance driving, so road manners is my main concern :steer:

I know everyone has their opinions on caster correction, but after reading up on endless threads, I've decided to go with MAF drop brackets (whenever they become available again) :doh:

Caster plates seem to be hit or miss, but I have yet to read about any driving complaints with the brackets :cool:

I'm not nearly as hardcore offroad as some of you guys......in fact, I have yet to push the factory stock suspension even remotely close to its limits, so a little loss in ground clearance usin gthe brackets is just fine by me as long as she performs well during normal onroad driving :meh:

All that being said, after just dropping a $h!t ton of cash on fresh rubber, I'm hoping to do this on a low budget :redface:

Assuming I'll be able to get a set of MAF brackets (they say it will be a couple of weeks), what are my options for a complete low buck 2.5"-3" heavy lift?

I'm impressed that you have all that gear on stock coils!!! How's the bottoming-out situation?

Happy to help you out as needed. Dobinsons has a very large variety of coil springs to suit all sorts of loads and desired lift heights, and it's all sold separately too if you want to go one different directions with the parts you'd like. How many miles are on that suspension now?

If anyone knows about some options, it's this guy!!! OP, if you haven't read his thread yet linked in his signature, be sure to check that out.

20" Front

20.5" Rear

‘Budget’ = any of the basic offerings from OME, Iron Man, Dobinsons, etc... All much of a muchness in terms of quality IMO but definite differences in terms of shock damping. E.G. OME known to be firm, Iron Man known to be quite soft.... Most important thing will be to get the correct springs for the weight of your vehicle. I’d suggest weighing it, then roughly adding up what you’re going to add, your kit etc to get a reasonably accurate idea.

On the hunt for a local shop with 4 corner scales :hmm:

@crikeymike

He fronts Dobinsons. He had a long conversation with me before agreeing to ship me anything. The springs perform as advertised for my application and body roll was vastly improved. Good luck with your journeys.

you up to 600,000 miles yet?

430k on the odometer, but I know that's well over half a million since I've been running big meats forever :steer:

I'm impressed that you have all that gear on stock coils!!! How's the bottoming-out situation?

Happy to help you out as needed. Dobinsons has a very large variety of coil springs to suit all sorts of loads and desired lift heights, and it's all sold separately too if you want to go one different directions with the parts you'd like. How many miles are on that suspension now?

Most of my offroading is under 10mph, so no real issues with bottoming out.

If anyone knows about some options, it's this guy!!! OP, if you haven't read his thread yet linked in his signature, be sure to check that out.

Spent a couple hours going through it last night :cool:

Information overload :oops:

It's like watching this guy :doh:

Screen+Shot+2014-01-10+at+14.38.26.png

OK, MAF just got back to me saying they have a 2” OME kit that has front and rear heavy springs and comes with shocks / sway bar brackets / control arm brackets / and a stabilizer for $1293.08 and a 3" kit with J's up front and 2" heavies out back for $1384.15 :hmm:

Not sure what shipping on this will be, but I know it won't be cheap :eek:

I know not up to today's standards, but was always pretty happy with my cheap (read as sourced here from the classifieds) J front and heavy OME setup.

Hey I forgot to mention the dual rate coils Tough Dog & TourFlex offerd by Trail Tailor. Infact I have a set of Tough Dog 1" lift rear 220/280 rate on my Lx.

At approx 20" center of fender to bottom of flare, you are sitting at stock height.

The OME 850J lift will net you 3.5" taller then you are now. In addition they are only single rate coils.

I bought a OME heavy kit from a fella that had it installed and hated the ride. It had MAYBE 500 miles on it and the stickers on the springs had never even been wet.

He made a GREAT deal for me. I knew exactly what I wanted and I waited for the right opportunity.

You carry a lot of shyte all the time and I think you would like it. I need to get caster plates for mine to get the steering back into the comfort zone.

The only thing I'd do different is to not go with the heavy Nitro shocks. I would go with the softer ride ones, or possibly the stock Tokico's.

I bought a OME heavy kit from a fella that had it installed and hated the ride. It had MAYBE 500 miles on it and the stickers on the springs had never even been wet.

He made a GREAT deal for me. I knew exactly what I wanted and I waited for the right opportunity.

You carry a lot of shyte all the time and I think you would like it. I need to get caster plates for mine to get the steering back into the comfort zone.

The only thing I'd do different is to not go with the heavy Nitro shocks. I would go with the softer ride ones, or possibly the stock Tokico's.

Is this what you got?

Amazon product ASIN B00CPNOG32
Still trying to figure out the model numbers on the coils as some vendors have different coils listed as heavies :confused:

Is this what you got?

Still trying to figure out the model numbers on the coils as some vendors have different coils listed as heavies :confused:
I'll check tomorrow. I can't find my listing on my phone.

In one of the threads I posted my entire parts list.

Do a search for me with that shock part number and you may find it. 60070

I agree I am confused by the different part numbers from different vendors for the same item.

Do not use the caster correction bushings. They junk out fast because of polyurethane. I installed all new OEM bushings, now I need to get my caster checked and then get the correct caster plates.

Yeah, I don't plan on using the offset bushings, just the drop brackets and stock bushings

That being said, if I went with this 3" heavy kit, would I use the 2" or 3" drop brackets?
I found it.

I got about 2.5" over stock I believe ( I have not measured it without all my crap in it) but about 3.5" more than where I was on stock springs. This from memory and the below thread may give better numbers.

I'm getting some funky tire wear and I also will do the DeltaVs rear lateral rod bracket to get it level again. This will place my axle where it needs to.be for best alignment.

You drive more miles than I do, but I'm about 15K-20K per year.

I also run the Duratracs as you have done.

Nevermind, just found OME's chart :doh:

Still a bit confused with the advertised lift heights though :hmm:

A while back, I contacted Slee and Christo suggeested J's all around due to all the added weight and said it would give me 3 inches :cool:

This page on CruiserOutfitter's site says 3.5-4" for the J's all around, but also says 3.5 and 2.5" for the same 850J's up front :confused:

The 850J's (Front) do not provide as much lift as the 863J's (rear). Most "matched" OME spring packages have a lot of built-in stink bug. If you want a level look, you'll either have to run spacers in the front or get 850J in the front and regular 863 (not J) in the back.

The 850J's (Front) do not provide as much lift as the 863J's (rear). Most "matched" OME spring packages have a lot of built-in stink bug. If you want a level look, you'll either have to run spacers in the front or get 850J in the front and regular 863 (not J) in the back.

Those with the stink bug on the J's all around, are they running a heavy rear load as well :hmm:

CO's page says the OME80HL kit (850J/863) is "For increased front weight: bullbar, winch, dual batteries, etc.", but doesn't mention rear weight.....

The OME80J kit (850J/863J) doesn't mention anything about weight front or rear, but reading through the reviews on the Amazon "J" kit, most of them don't have any weight out back

The first review actually says they got 2.75" of lift and looks pretty good with a hint of stink, but again, he has nuthin out back

I'm running dual swing outs with a tire carrier hanging a heavy ass 35" D-Trac as well as a Husky rear winch, sub enclosure, 3rd row, plenty of gear, etc., etc.

Sounds like you are now in the call and talk to someone about it phase :)

I haven't pulled the trigger on a kit yet but I received good intel and pricing from @crikeymike at Dobinsons when I explained my specific situation, including exact part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom