2.5"-3" Budget Based Heavy Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The MAF drop brackets for like the 2" lift is actually about 2.5" of drop. Those are the ones I am running and I like them for my use case....yes they drop down a bit and could get hung up but for moderate wheeling/camping never had an issue.

They are perfectly matched to my OME 850/863 springs. Those do net about 2.5" of lift and sit level if you load them up to the specs OME provides. For your weight I think you'd probably end up below 2.5" of lift. But you'll get some lift and a higher spring rate than your current springs which will be nice.

The 863j springs have a slightly higher spring rate than the 863s so that will maybe ride a bit better with a more appropriately matched spring rate, and a taller ride height as the spring is taller.

Honestly if you are going on the cheap I'd pick up whichever you can find used and for less $$. If you end up buying new, then maybe going with the lower spring height but higher rate 864 springs. If you have rear bumper, equipment, sliders, tent, 3rd row, camping stuff, etc....you are running about as heavy as I was on my long south america trip....and the 863 springs were not quite sufficient. (Would be better than your mediums...but honestly the 864's would be better). I don't think you'll get 2.5-3" with the regular 863 springs in the rear. You would need the 863J or 864's to get in that range. The 850's in the front *may* get you on the low range of 2.5-3". I got 2.5" with dual bats, roof rack, bumper, winch w/ synthetic line.

Last edited:
The MAF drop brackets for like the 2" lift is actually about 2.5" of drop. Those are the ones I am running and I like them for my use case....yes they drop down a bit and could get hung up but for moderate wheeling/camping never had an issue.

They are perfectly matched to my OME 850/863 springs. Those do net about 2.5" of lift and sit level if you load them up to the specs OME provides. For your weight I think you'd probably end up below 2.5" of lift. But you'll get some lift and a higher spring rate than your current springs which will be nice.

The 863j springs have a slightly higher spring rate than the 863s so that will maybe ride a bit better with a more appropriately matched spring rate, and a taller ride height as the spring is taller.

Honestly if you are going on the cheap I'd pick up whichever you can find used and for less $$. If you end up buying new, then maybe going with the lower spring height but higher rate 864 springs. If you have rear bumper, equipment, sliders, tent, 3rd row, camping stuff, etc....you are running about as heavy as I was on my long south america trip....and the 863 springs were not quite sufficient. (Would be better than your mediums...but honestly the 864's would be better). I don't think you'll get 2.5-3" with the regular 863 springs in the rear. You would need the 863J or 864's to get in that range. The 850's in the front *may* get you on the low range of 2.5-3". I got 2.5" with dual bats, roof rack, bumper, winch w/ synthetic line.

Apart from the drop brackets, did you run anything else for caster correction?

Any mods to the rear?

I'm hoping the drop brackets and factory bushings will be all I need....

I'm afraid I might run into tracking issues if she ends up too high in the rear and I'd like to avoid any mods back there if I can....

I do want her level and if she ends up too high with the 863J's, I'd rather step down in the rear rather than add spacers up front to match.

On the other hand, if she ends up too low in the rear using 863's, I can then use spacers in the back to match....

I ran the drop brackets only for caster. Used OEM bushings which was fabulous. I did extend slightly the rear swaybar links but thats it. I also replaced all 3 axle to frame brake lines when doing the lift as well. They needed replacement regardless. Honestly as you lift your biggest issue (IMHO) will be front driveline vibes. Due to the design, the more you lift it, the worse it will get, until you get in the 4" lift range and can go to a DC front driveshaft.

I don't have any tracking issues at all, and doubt you would if you end up at the 2.5" lift. And I honestly don't think with how much weight you have you will end up too high on the rear axle. Dan's link from a while back is a good reference to compare weights. OME 863 vs 864 (finishing the perfect 80)

OK, I had to search to confirm, but it looks like I already went with extended OEM hoses a while back :cool:

So if I go with J's all around, should I also go with the extended shocks even though I won't have as much lift due ot the weight?

Sexton has the J kit with L shocks for $989.99 and free shipping according to their page :hmm:

Man-A-Fre's kit (in stock) comes with the drop brackets, sway bar brackets, 850J/863, regular shocks and damper for $1384.15, but adds $175 bucks in shipping :confused:

If anything, I'll be ordering the drop brackets as soon as they become available separately, then decide on what lift to go with :meh:

The 850J/863 with L shocks is a good level 3" lift, but is still only single rate coils. Besides you don't need a 3" lift for 35s.
A 2" lift will keep all your control arms flatter & closer to stock geometry.

On what I assume is the 2.5" Medium kit here installed by PO. Thing is, I have plenty of lift in the rear even with the weight, but PO installed coil spacers in front even when stock.

ARB/M8000 in the front and 4x4labs in the back, I pack relatively light compared to many of you guys for trips. Tomorrow I am installing 2850s in the front, I also have 2863s in the garage but going to feel it out.

The 850J/863 with L shocks is a good level 3" lift, but is still only single rate coils. Besides you don't need a 3" lift for 35s.
A 2" lift will keep all your control arms flatter & closer to stock geometry.

I've been eyeballing this rig for as long as I can remember and it was pretty much the basis for the direction I wanted to go with mine when I first started moddin :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'm guessing we're pretty close on weight and they're running J's with extended shocks all around :hmm:

On what I assume is the 2.5" Medium kit here installed by PO. Thing is, I have plenty of lift in the rear even with the weight, but PO installed coil spacers in front even when stock.

ARB/M8000 in the front and 4x4labs in the back, I pack relatively light compared to many of you guys for trips. Tomorrow I am installing 2850s in the front, I also have 2863s in the garage but going to feel it out.

Are you running spacers with them?

I've been eyeballing this rig for as long as I can remember and it was pretty much the basis for the direction I wanted to go with mine when I first started moddin :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'm guessing we're pretty close on weight and they're running J's with extended shocks all around :hmm:

Are you running spacers with them?

No spacers, no idea if PO randomly put heavy springs in rear for no apparent reason. Didn't get around to doing the springs today though.

I'd avoid any OME J lift unless you really need the extra lift height and you constantly carry a lot of weight. Consider your needs and the extra mods required at the higher lift heights. Also, the dual rate springs seem to be the way to go, Dobinsons, Tough Dog, Slinky etc. Another suggestion is to get some better shocks, makes a world of difference. Ironman Pro Foam Cell would be a good middle of the road shock.

I'd avoid any OME J lift unless you really need the extra lift height and you constantly carry a lot of weight. Consider your needs and the extra mods required at the higher lift heights. Also, the dual rate springs seem to be the way to go, Dobinsons, Tough Dog, Slinky etc. Another suggestion is to get some better shocks, makes a world of difference. Ironman Pro Foam Cell would be a good middle of the road shock.

Well, she's already quite heavy as is and I do plan on adding a bit more weight (sliders, RTT, swing out awning, etc.)

Already made the first move and ordered a set of drop brackets as they just became available again :cool:

Still talking with multiple vendors about lifts and everyone seems to have different opinions on what will work for me :confused:

OK, I wanna to put together a list of whatever else needed to complete a 3 inch lift :popcorn:

I already have extended brake lines installed and the MAF drop brackets are on their way :cool:

I know I'll need rear sway bar drop brackets, front sway bar spacer blocks and rear bumpstop extensions :hmm:

Apart from the basic lift kit and these items, what else should I be lookng into?

And a few more questions....

1) Is an upgraded stabilizer absolutely necessary?
I already replaced it with a Monroe unit a couple years ago as a PM and never had any steering issues with the 35's
Reason I ask is because I see many lift kits that don't include them and I'd be able to up my budget a little on better coils if I didn't have to get a new stabilizer.

2) What's the highest lift you can install while using the stock shocks? (just curious)

3) Would the 3 inch MAF drop brackets give me too much caster correction if I decided to go with 2-2.5 inch coils instead of 3 inch?

Wasn't someone recently developing a drop bracket that pushed the frame attachment point further forward as well? Then that covers castor as well as re-centering the wheel in the wheel well.

Edit: Link attached.

I have OME's 2.5 heavy / OME shocks with a 10mm packering spacer in the rear - 35's and landtank brackets in front / delta rear bracket

Very happy with how it runs and tracks in all conditions , and I'm loaded like you much of the time plus 250lbs of german shepard.... it actually handles more predictably then my wife old FJ....

new ARB rack # 2.jpg

Wasn't someone recently developing a drop bracket that pushed the frame attachment point further forward as well? Then that covers castor as well as re-centering the wheel in the wheel well.

Edit: Link attached.

Not bolt on unfortunately :(

I have OME's 2.5 heavy / OME shocks with a 10mm packering spacer in the rear - 35's and landtank brackets in front / delta rear bracket

Very happy with how it runs and tracks in all conditions , and I'm loaded like you much of the time plus 250lbs of german shepard.... it actually handles more predictably then my wife old FJ....

View attachment 2403048

Looks good

What kinda weight do you have out back?

We have the Ironman kit and couldn't be happier. I have had it for over 10 years and it has held up well. It will cost less than most kits and perform better in my opinion.

The back...... 4x4 labs - fuel 10gal of fuel and 5 water plus spare and highlift.....

nothing in the rear typically other then light recovery gear and a cooler plus some hardware & large GSD dogs....

BD_rear_lights.png
JL sub on Puma bracket.jpg
Rear storage # 1.jpg
Jet and Sampson.jpg

I rarely put the 2nd row in these days..... it's been months. so decent weight savings there. Thinking of doing the LR replacement tank as well.....that'll add a bit extra but shouldn't squat it much.

I think the best bang for the buck is 861/862 dual rate plus spacers.
Trail Tailor offers Tough Dog & TourFlex in dualr rate coils.
Next would be a Slinky 50mm HD or Dobinson 2.5" tapered 146/147VT

What is you current center hub to bottom of flare measurement?

Been in contact with a few vendors and Dobinson actually said their Flexi coils aren't that good for heavy weight and were designed for long travel.

They suggested the Linear coils, but also asked to measure my current rear coils (860) compressed on a level surface to see what would work best for me.

Just measured about ~11.5" from perch to perch

FWIW, there's about 1/4" of rubber donut insulation on top of each spring

20200818-102503-Medium.jpg

20200818-102429-Medium.jpg

I must say, the coating on these things ain't worth a $hite (pure rust) :confused:

They looked so shiny going in lol

fzj80airliftinstall11.jpg

fzj80airliftinstall12.jpg

fzj80airliftinstall18.jpg

Hmm, now that I notice, I had to remove the inner bumpstops to install the bags :hmm:

Would I be ok without them and just outer bump stop extensions? (don't plan on replacing the bags unless absolutely necessary)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom