91 with budget vs newer with less (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Just trying to get some real world opinions on my current situation. Like many others I’ve been waiting and saving for quite a while to get my first 80 series, and as of yet the “right” one hasn’t come along. I’ve been holding out for the later model years, in decent shape, and not outrageously priced, which is probably why I’m still waiting.

I have the opportunity to trade for a 91 that looks pretty clean, no rust, well taken care of, but it does have 320k on it which scares me. Going this route with a trade, I’d essentially have most of my saved up budget remaining for maintenance and building it out pretty well. If I hold out for the newer years, I won’t have a ton of funds leftover for any fun mods and it would have to remain somewhat stock for a bit, but would have the newer motor, “creature comforts”, etc.

My question to the hive mind is: in your experience, would you rather get into a 91 with the older motor, but have plenty of funds for doing it up right, or would you hold out for the newer years and just put some of that fun stuff on hold for a bit?

Thanks!

That's not really apples to apples, since the 1991 has a 3FE engine and the 1994-1997 have the 1FZ-FE engine. Two completely different animals.

Drive a 60 and and 80 side by side and you'll see the difference.

As to mileage, these things were designed without a life expectancy; don't let mileage scare you off any truck. Condition is much more important than mileage.

It's hard to say, it depends on your budget and plans for the build. If it was me and I had $12,000.00 or more saved I would totally get the 91 assumming its rust free. I would replace all the rubber parts, get the brakes sorted, and get a v8 swap done.

That would give you an awesome starting point with a motor that can handle pulling a boat or camp trailer.

That would probably tap out the budget but you don't need to rush into the lift, armor, overlanding accessories, and wheels right away. Better to get the rig sorted and reliable and than slowly do that other stuff as time and money allows.

It's hard to say, it depends on your budget and plans for the build. If it was me and I had $12,000.00 or more saved I would totally get the 91 assumming its rust free. I would replace all the rubber parts, get the brakes sorted, and get a v8 swap done.

That would give you an awesome starting point with a motor that can handle pulling a boat or camp trailer.

That would probably tap out the budget but you don't need to rush into the lift, armor, overlanding accessories, and wheels right away. Better to get the rig sorted and reliable and than slowly do that other stuff as time and money allows.
Yep this is essentially exactly where I’m at. I can get into the 91 as pretty much a wash, and then would have 10-12k to put into it. A motor swap was not in my mind at all going into this, but with that budget it’s certainly crossed my mind. Though I’m not entirely sure if that’s something I really want to dive into, but it could be worth it in the long run. More than anything I’m just wanting to make sure it’s not a dumb idea to rush into it since I’ve waited this long already. It’s not going to be a DD and will basically be a weekend/camp/ski rig so there’s definitely plenty of flexibility there.

If the interior and body are in good shape and it's rust free than Send it and do the v8 swap. You won't be disappointed..... Except I see your in Colorado which is turning into a California jr. So first thing is to make sure your even legal to do a v8 swap in Colorado.

From the FWIW, department:
the 1990-1992 models had a 3FE engine (4.0L, 155-hp, 220-lb·ft torque) and A440F transmission (hydraulically controlled) (this was the 60 series drivetrain);
the 1993-1994 models had a 1FZ-FE engine (4.5L, 212-hp, 275-lb·ft torque) and a A442F transmission (electronically controlled) (the best combination, IMHO, but I'm totally biased on this point);
1he 1995-1997 and all LX450s had the 1FZ-FE engine and A373F transmission (electronically controlled).

If the interior and body are in good shape and it's rust free than Send it and do the v8 swap. You won't be disappointed..... Except I see your in Colorado which is turning into a California jr. So first thing is to make sure your even legal to do a v8 swap in Colorado.
Yeah good point about that. Emissions stuff is a nightmare here. I definitely had no plans for swaps in wanting to get into an 80 but it definitely is an interesting thought as far as a winter project. Not sure the wife would be too happy taking over the garage for that but I guess it’s an ask for forgiveness not permission sort of deal

I could tell you that owning a 91 for the past 8 yrs and my experience with a 3F-E. I had the opportunity to pickup a clean bone stock 91 with less than 200k miles for a good price, 1 owner truck from San Diego. Similar to your situation, i was holding out on a 1FZ-FE with the newer motor and potential of having locker options. With that said, i still own my 91 and have no plans to replace it with the 1FZ.-FE. It really depends on your end goal and your intended use. The 91-92 is a very basic rig with a reliable motor. It is fantastic for a farm truck or safari truck that doesn't see ton of pavement or highway. However, you can make a 3F-E more highway friendly without doing a v8 swap with regearing, and upgrading the transmission valve body, advancing timing, etc. It will do 55mph up super steep grade and cruise @ 75 mph on the highway all day long.
If you live in higher elevation and tons of mountains passes, the 1FZ-FE will be a better fit between the 2 for sure. OEM parts are harder to come by and some are discontinued, but there are aftermarket support for those and not an issue for me. The motor is bullet proof if you do the basic maintenance and baselining. The past 50k miles i put in this truck are tough, hard miles, and the motor just keep on turning without fuss. It will take a bit of abuse and overheating as well more so than a 1FZ-FE IMO. Lockers are not a concern as there are ton of aftermarket options for lockers and my ARBs been fantastic to use. You do get a semi float rear axle and drum brakes for these truck, and i have yet to break an axle running 37s and lots of rock crawling as well for what it is worth.
For the money, they are hard to beat especially if you can find a clean 3F-E with good interior and straight body. You will be happy to spend that extra money for upgrades.

20230807_082816.jpg

My 91 @ the Rubicon this yr. It will go everywhere a build JK or JL with 37s or 40s will go...

If you want a built rig and would prefer the newer motor, etc. it would make sense to wait for a FZ example already built.

The '91 might be perfect for a budget 80 that could simply be baselined and enjoyed as is. If it's a good deal, that's what I would be tempted to do.

320K on the 3FE isn't necessarily a concern, though that many miles would be for me on the A440 transmission.

A motor swap was not in my mind at all going into this, but with that budget it’s certainly crossed my mind.

Motor swap and budget rarely belong in the same sentence!

If you even slightly think you'd be dissatisfied with the 3fe, hold out for a newer model, and the best looked after version you can afford.

Don't worry about mileage so much as evidence someone kept up with the maintenance. Service records, or visual inspection.

I could tell you that owning a 91 for the past 8 yrs and my experience with a 3F-E. I had the opportunity to pickup a clean bone stock 91 with less than 200k miles for a good price, 1 owner truck from San Diego. Similar to your situation, i was holding out on a 1FZ-FE with the newer motor and potential of having locker options. With that said, i still own my 91 and have no plans to replace it with the 1FZ.-FE. It really depends on your end goal and your intended use. The 91-92 is a very basic rig with a reliable motor. It is fantastic for a farm truck or safari truck that doesn't see ton of pavement or highway. However, you can make a 3F-E more highway friendly without doing a v8 swap with regearing, and upgrading the transmission valve body, advancing timing, etc. It will do 55mph up super steep grade and cruise @ 75 mph on the highway all day long.
If you live in higher elevation and tons of mountains passes, the 1FZ-FE will be a better fit between the 2 for sure. OEM parts are harder to come by and some are discontinued, but there are aftermarket support for those and not an issue for me. The motor is bullet proof if you do the basic maintenance and baselining. The past 50k miles i put in this truck are tough, hard miles, and the motor just keep on turning without fuss. It will take a bit of abuse and overheating as well more so than a 1FZ-FE IMO. Lockers are not a concern as there are ton of aftermarket options for lockers and my ARBs been fantastic to use. You do get a semi float rear axle and drum brakes for these truck, and i have yet to break an axle running 37s and lots of rock crawling as well for what it is worth.
For the money, they are hard to beat especially if you can find a clean 3F-E with good interior and straight body. You will be happy to spend that extra money for upgrades.

View attachment 3417940
My 91 @ the Rubicon this yr. It will go everywhere a build JK or JL with 37s or 40s will go...
This is definitely the kind of real world info I was curious about, I appreciate it! I’m in the Denver area and it’s primarily going to be just the typical camping sort of trail rig, so the main climbs are going to be up I70. It is good to know that there’s some small things you can do to help the highway drivability a bit for the time being. I’d assume even if I wanted to do a swap, it probably wouldn’t be right away and would take a bit of planning time so I’d just run it as is for a bit.

View attachment 3417940
Super cool shot by the way! Love to see it keeping up with the built new Jeeps

Thanks so much for all the help and input!! I ended up going for the 91. Yeah miles are high, but it's a 2 owner, and looks to have been very well maintained over the years. Actually ended up getting a little extra cash on my end of the deal as well so that never hurts. We'll see how long it sticks around and if I move up into the "newer" years at some point, but this is an awesome start and I'm really excited. Going through the usual tune up/maintenance stuff, got a few goodies on order like a lift, wheels, etc, plan on doing a regear ASAP. It's probably not in the cards any time immediately, but the more I read about it and get sucked in by fun youtube videos, a motor swap doesn't sound like the worst choice in the world.

Thanks again so much, time to get going on a build thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom