Building a new house and shop (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's greening up! The native grasses I planted late last summer are coming back up, thank goodness. Along with some weeds of course. Not too bothered about the weeds, as long as nothing big (shrubs or trees) comes up. There might be a few Prairie Sumacs coming up, which I will have to pull up or kill.

Meanwhile, my "driveway" (the road in) looks like this on both sides:

Buy a bag of native wildflower seeds to toss up there. Next year it'll look like the roadside.

Buy a bag of native wildflower seeds to toss up there. Next year it'll look like the roadside.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Bluebonnet seeds are really expensive, and apparently hard to get started, but I should try.

Anything new?

Anything new?

Nothing to speak of. I bought some rolling scaffolding on sale, so that we can (learn to) do our own plastering. The builder is going to give us a few hours of lessons/demonstration next time he is in town.

It's been raining a lot here for the last couple of months. Every time it dries out a little bit, I've been scraping my new fence line level with my tractor and a box blade. The cat that cleared the trees for the fence worked in mud and left some big ruts and really rough areas. Trying to smooth it out enough to be able to use the brush hog to keep the fence clear, and to patrol it easily in a four-wheeler.

Also been working on controlling the thistles; they can get really thick and they spread if you don't control them.

The grass I planted on top of the house and the hill above it all came back this year, plus there are a lot of wildflowers that came up naturally too. I have been weeding up there some, to keep the thistles and more obnoxious weeds out. I need to redistribute some soil up there, it's washed thin in one place with all the rain. I think once all the grass and flowers get well established, the soil should be stable and not move around much.

Still need more money to buy doors and windows and enclose the house. Every time we think we have some money saved something else comes up - this month, it was hearing aids that I've needed for a long time.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Bluebonnet seeds are really expensive, and apparently hard to get started, but I should try.

The natural bluebonnets we have next to the road were really thick this year, and produced a ton of seed pods. We are thinking of collecting some of the seed pods that drop and putting them above the house for next year.

The grass I planted on top of the house and the hill above it all came back this year, plus there are a lot of wildflowers that came up naturally too.

[snip]

The natural bluebonnets we have next to the road were really thick this year, and produced a ton of seed pods. We are thinking of collecting some of the seed pods that drop and putting them above the house for next year.

If you want some variety, I've dealt with these folks for seeds: Wildflower Mix, Wildflower Seed Mixtures - American Meadows

You can pick your locale, exposure (sun/shade), and other factors to pick a mix that will work well in your conditions.

Impressive build. Really like the modular concept for construction. My wife and I are getting closer to retirement and starting to give some serious thoughts about where.....not the easiest decision. I did show her Mrs 911's chicken coop and run. My wife aspires to raising goats and chickens in retirement. Guess we're going to need some acreage.

Impressive build. Really like the modular concept for construction. My wife and I are getting closer to retirement and starting to give some serious thoughts about where.....not the easiest decision. I did show her Mrs 911's chicken coop and run. My wife aspires to raising goats and chickens in retirement. Guess we're going to need some acreage.

Wyoming is a place you may consider due to no taxes on retirement income.

The general cost of living increase in Texas in the form of property taxes helped push us out.

Our final spot is Western Montana on acreage and off the grid. Regret that I didn't do this sooner.

And yes, @1911 has a sweet setup!

Yes 1911 is setup for a full on to the death tax fight with the government. Televised nationwide. But then he likes to fly under the radar so will probably pay their confiscatory rapes and find another way to laugh diabolically while he rides off into the sunset with the saddlebags of gold.

It has been too long without an update. What does the place look like with autumn colors? Do you feel frac jobs in the Barnett shale? Any unidentified critters pics from the game cameras? Us surface dwellers wonder how life is with hundreds of tons of dirt and concrete covering your hideaway.

Guessing they’re still recovering from the hearing aid $$.

Slowly moving up that line myself. :rolleyes:

Update would be good!

Does the ground turn white there this time of year?

Yes 1911 is setup for a full on to the death tax fight with the government. Televised nationwide. But then he likes to fly under the radar so will probably pay their confiscatory rapes and find another way to laugh diabolically while he rides off into the sunset with the saddlebags of gold.

You laugh, but it's closer to the truth than you think! - I did have a big tax fight with the county appraisal district this year, but was able to avoid the armed standoff at the last minute. They look at aerial photos (google earth?) every year; they saw the house under construction, and of course my finished shop/apt. building. You can't even see the house or shop from the road, so I know they were using aerial photos. So, they just scaled off everything, and set my assessment based on the total square footage of everything they could see, including porches, garages, whatever. But they're only supposed to charge based on heated and cooled living space square feet. Short story: I protested their appraisal, had a hearing, and got the valuation cut in half, by providing them plans and photos that show the true size of the apartment vs. the shop, and the actual living space that will be in the big house. Plus, they are not going to charge me for the full value of the house until it is finished.

It has been too long without an update.

Sad to say, no progress to report. Like Mark said, other demands on my reduced income. Good news though, I've recently secured another consulting contract in addition to the retainer I currently have, so if that works out well (if I can keep the client happy), I will have some more income coming in that can be put towards the house.

What does the place look like with autumn colors?

For 4-5 days, it was beautiful, with the red oaks, sumacs, elms, and cottonwoods all turning color at the same time. I took a photo, but it was a few days past the prime of the brightest colors:

IMG_1289[1].JPG

Guessing they’re still recovering from the hearing aid $$.

Slowly moving up that line myself. :rolleyes:

The hearing aids I ended up getting were es-spensive! They are supposed to help with my tinnitus also; I don't know about that, but I do like them, when I'm around other people I can hear them much better. When I'm in my home office, I don't bother putting them in (much to the chagrin of my audiologist), but they're great for meetings, restaurants, watching tv, etc.

Now my sleep apnea doctor wants me to move from my $3,500 BIPAP machine to a $10,000 ASV ventilator! 🙄

Like my dear departed mom used to say, "growing old isn't for sissies".

Update would be good!

Does the ground turn white there this time of year?

We usually get light snow 2-3 times per year, and maybe the same or more in ice storms, but not usually this early. We've had a couple of hard freezes overnight already, but no precipitation other than rain.

IMG_1289[1].JPG

Glad things are moving along @1911

Collin County has upped their game the last few years. They have immediate access to interior photos of other sales, etc. They've made my yearly arguments a hell of a challenge. Soon enough I'll ditch the place in the "Land of Every Shopping Convenience" otherwise known as Collin County, Tejas. How many Walmarts, banks, Home Depots, etc does a place need...

Soon enough I'll ditch the place in the "Land of Every Shopping Convenience" otherwise known as Collin County, Tejas. How many Walmarts, banks, Home Depots, etc does a place need...

Exactly. When we used to live close to those things, we went all the time. Now that the closest ones are at least 10 miles away (and most further than that), we don't miss them at all. I do almost all of my banking online, even got my best/longest client to direct deposit when paying my invoices. Every now and then, I'll make a run to Home Depot or Lowes, but mostly we get everything delivered from on-line or use local small businesses.

My dad tells me a similar line when I biatch about life, I just pony’d up for a cpap machine, didn’t know they got that expensive.

My dad tells me a similar line when I biatch about life, I just pony’d up for a cpap machine, didn’t know they got that expensive.

There are a ton of cpap users, and they are the least complicated so their prices are quite reasonable. Next up the line is bipap, where the pressure is controlled (and different) for both inhaling and exhaling. Then comes auto-bipap (which I have now), then ASV (Auto Servo Ventilator). The more complicated/expensive machines are needed when you have central nervous system apneas, not just obstructive apnea. I have both. The ASV actually forces you breathe, or rather it breathes for you, if you don't on your own.

They look at aerial photos (google earth?) every year; they saw the house under construction, and of course my finished shop/apt. building. You can't even see the house or shop from the road, so I know they were using aerial photos.

Places are beginning to use drones as well. It's pretty crazy.

The hearing aids I ended up getting were es-spensive! They are supposed to help with my tinnitus also; I don't know about that, but I do like them, when I'm around other people I can hear them much better. When I'm in my home office, I don't bother putting them in (much to the chagrin of my audiologist), but they're great for meetings, restaurants, watching tv, etc.

Years ago, my boss would turn his down/off when he wanted to get work done. Then a call would come in for him and the secretary would be yelling at him and finally start throwing things at him to get his attention. :rofl:

A mentor of a similar generation was always telling me that "growing old ain't for p*ssies..." ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom