Building a new house and shop (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s best to assume that pre-hung door jambs are always going to be tricky. Even though I own the router accessories for doing the hinge plates myself, I switched over to prehung six or seven years ago. For the door I just hung three weeks ago, I decided that I didn’t want to go with the traditional stucco moulding. So I special ordered several hundred dollars worth of extra deck boards to match the outdoor shower (which is next to the door) cut one of them down, routed and back-cut it to serve as moulding and flashing.
IMG_8986.jpeg

Last edited:
On the interior I prefer to cut full width jambs and make mouldings to match the rooms. (I cut the flooring freehand on the table saw to fit around the preexisting jamb/mouldings)
IMG_9163.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s best to assume that preying door jambs are always going to be tricky. Even though I own the router accessories for doing the hinge plates myself, I switched over to prehung six or seven years ago. For the door I just hung three weeks ago, I decided that I didn’t want to go with the traditional stucco moulding. So I special ordered several hundred dollars worth of extra deck boards to match the outdoor shower (which is next to the door) cut them down, routed and back-cut them to serve as moulding and flashing.View attachment 3592466

I agree, the pre-hung doors are the way to go. We have a semi-local (one county or 30 miles away) one-off store that sells pre-hung doors quite a bit cheaper than Home Depot. I make a run with my utility trailer about every other month and buy a few more. There are three doors off of the kitchen and family room that go to the pantry and the utility/mechanical room that the mrs. wants sliding barn doors on, so I bought those as slabs.

I think our door trim will be pretty simple, just flat boards, no routing or fancy moulding.

I have that jig for the router and door hinges…still much simpler with pre-hung. I’ll always look for that option first

While building the only house that I contracted myself, I found a smallish shop that sold prehung doors on basically any jamb size you specified. Good prices and nice doors. Pretty sure they were getting stain grade seconds (door only) and selling them as paint grade. They sold both but I think their money was made on the paint grade. They only sold solid core doors.

Duplicate posting of photos in the 40 section also. Annual poser shots of the wildflowers near my "driveway" (the road in - you can just see a part of the middle of the house at the end of the road in the upper left quadrant of the 2nd photo).

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

As a side note, it turns out that my go-to local business that I get crushed limestone for my road from, is owned by a Cruiser head with a nice 60 and 80. Found out when I rolled up to his business in my 40 one day a couple of years ago. Anyway, he hosts a get-together every year for local Cruiser guys/families at his place, and a week ago today was the one for this year:

View attachment 3571855
Any more details on that olive/nebula 43?!

Any more details on that olive/nebula 43?!

It's a very nice truck, I don't remember many details, sorry. An import obviously. Nice young family that owns it; he may be here on Mud, I don't remember. I believe he bought it that way (with most/all of the work already done).

I agree, the pre-hung doors are the way to go. We have a semi-local (one county or 30 miles away) one-off store that sells pre-hung doors quite a bit cheaper than Home Depot. I make a run with my utility trailer about every other month and buy a few more. There are three doors off of the kitchen and family room that go to the pantry and the utility/mechanical room that the mrs. wants sliding barn doors on, so I bought those as slabs.

I think our door trim will be pretty simple, just flat boards, no routing or fancy moulding.
You can have doors fabricated with varying jamb widths. My older home is plaster on 2x4 studs, so my walls are a tad thicker than normal and I order 5 1/4” jambs. In exterior doors I order up as well. You can probably do the same depending on who your vendor is.

You can have doors fabricated with varying jamb widths. My older home is plaster on 2x4 studs, so my walls are a tad thicker than normal and I order 5 1/4” jambs. In exterior doors I order up as well. You can probably do the same depending on who your vendor is.

Thanks, I will ask and see.

Hey check out this companies barn door track stuff. They have bearings for the bottom track and a guide that you router in the bottom of doors. They are stupid quiet and don’t have the scrape noise you get with a slot and aluminum or steel guide.

Even if you have to install doors out of level because of walls out of plumb to make your reveal consistent against the trim it’s still quiet.

Here are a few of the PDF pages with the parts from my last order.

IMG_2488.png

IMG_2489.png

IMG_0338.jpeg

72040117096__98E62E0B-2A52-48E4-BAA8-D770E06EF987.jpeg

Hey check out this companies barn door track stuff. They have bearings for the bottom track and a guide that you router in the bottom of doors. They are stupid quiet and don’t have the scrape noise you get with a slot and aluminum or steel guide.

Even if you have to install doors out of level because of walls out of plumb to make your reveal consistent against the trim it’s still quiet.

Here are a few of the PDF pages with the parts from my last order.

View attachment 3603071

View attachment 3603072

View attachment 3603074

View attachment 3603075

Thanks!

We've had a lot of spring rain this year so far; another 1-1/4" this past Saturday. Everything is growing like mad; had to pause house construction this afternoon to mow the roof:

IMG_2735.jpg

My office is textured, ceiling painted, LED lights in, and the walls being painted:

IMG_2736.jpg

The master closet is textured, painted, and LED lights in. This room just needs flooring, baseboards, door and trim to be finished:

IMG_2737.jpg

Master bedroom is textured, the ceiling painted, and the walls being painted:

IMG_2738.jpg

Exercise/weight room has been textured and painted. The bare concrete is where mirrors are going to go; the mirrors have been ordered. Rubber horse-stall mat will be the floor in here. The only other thing it needs to be finished is baseboards. And a window sill.

IMG_2739.jpg

Beautiful….what a spectacular space and imagination. I feel like my years living in conventional space was a mistake. I love your new house

Beautiful….what a spectacular space and imagination. I feel like my years living in conventional space was a mistake. I love your new house

Thanks!

Wow, the end is in sight and you’ll be moving in soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom