Builds Treebeard (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Treebeard and I got some quality time yesterday. I’m putting off removing the head until I know exactly when the shop can start work, I don’t want to leave the block exposed longer than necessary in this PNW wet.

I removed the seats, removed the center console, removed the tailgate carpet (saved the clips), vacuumed all of the carpet, removed the rear carpet, and started planning to do more rust repair than previously known.

Today I’m planning to start ordering some parts, to wash the seat covers, prep for head removal by draining coolant and working carefully on some bolts.

So far I have only lost one bolt to rust, on the rear seat hinge. Need to do some PB blaster soaks for sure. There’s also some really bad rust on the inside of the wheel wells that I suspect will require some adventures in welding. It’s all good, this isn’t ever going to be a showroom truck. Still, I would definitely advise anyone looking at an abused 60 to pull the carpet up and inspect these spots.

29B5CB89-F15C-44E7-B393-B52B3EBB63D4.jpeg

002D398D-EBB0-41D2-8407-59C6307D352E.jpeg

B2785FED-735C-42E1-A175-689C6ECEF504.jpeg

F5900197-31D0-488A-BCE4-F231A7F59C49.jpeg

Today I learned what hog rings are. Also, screw hog rings.

I removed the seat covers from the rear seat back and bottom and started the process of washing them. Added more PB blaster to the head bolts and the air rail bolts in prep for removing. Also, I placed a few orders! Picked up a tailgate light bezel from a mudder; ordered an FSM reprint, a window lever, used front markers, and replacement taillight lenses from SOR; and ordered the cap and plug kit from Jim C (I have aftermarket headers and an intact (devaned?) smog pump so these are the only pieces I need right now).

@ntdb here is a good list of FSMs for you to use

Which FSM is this? I suspect that it is the 1981-1987 2F engine repair manual which I have been completely unable to find online.
If someone hasn’t said it... if your using an iPhone, hold your phone horizontal and in my signature line a link for the fsms will appear. Others have it too.

Does anyone have experience with Gozzard Composites (Land Cruiser 60 Series - Gozzard Composites) tailgates? Disregard the price, I wouldn't spend that much on one.

Also, the head didn't make it out yesterday. The rocker arm is ready to lift out but I missed my chance to get the head to the shop and don't want it off the block for any longer than necessary.

Last edited:
No need to take the rocker arm, just the bare head with valves and springs left in.
Yes, I'd take the intake manifold also, ask them to check for any warpage or cracks, if needed they can do a TIG weld repair on any cracks found, and also skim the manifold if needed.
I see you have a header exhaust, so no need to take that in.
Cheers, Tim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom