Builds Treebeard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking forward to the build thread! I wouldn't think the head was cracked either. I drove my for two months with two burnt exhaust valves and didnt harm anything else (to my knowledge).

Looks like a typical Cascade LC that's been sitting under a tree. If nothing is seized I'd buy it and have fun. the interior is an easy clean. Tailgates are easy fixes. Lots of people to get the motor going.

Head rebuild, springs, and an OEM carb are definitely in my sights. I’m hoping the PO still has the OEM carb laying around...
I have several...2 of the 3 need rebuilding. 1 is solid.

Welp, there’s the head gasket milkshake. Time for a head rebuild at a minimum.

The tow truck left the car in front of a neighbor’s house on Sunday... how bad of an idea is it to start it up to move it 100 feet up the street? It’s bad... I know.

7037785C-5E5F-4503-8649-101DD7DD3C36.jpeg

Id change your thread title now that you own it.

Good call, I’ll do that next time I’m on my laptop. :)

No photos but I spent a couple hours last night removing garbage and wiping surfaces/upholstery with Simple Green. Found one bullet casing, a dozen straws and straw wrappers, 1.5 pairs of gloves, a pair of sunglasses, and the bottle jack! There is definitely a bit of mold/mildew in the car that needs dealing with. I’m hoping to pull the truck close enough to my house this evening to give the outside a proper wash and use a carpet cleaner on the interior. The seats are probably going to come out so that I can clean the carpet properly and wash the covers.

I have to say... it’s going to look so good! All of the filth is going to come right off with a wash and the only dent I’ve found on the car is right next to the rear wiper blade. Should come out pretty easily. It needs to look good so that it can sit in front of the house for a while without being an eyesore. 🙈

Welp, there’s the head gasket milkshake. Time for a head rebuild at a minimum.

The tow truck left the car in front of a neighbor’s house on Sunday... how bad of an idea is it to start it up to move it 100 feet up the street? It’s bad... I know.

View attachment 2195143
That's likely just condensation, see that a lot of vehicles that make short trips and don't get hot enough to burn it off. Now if the rest of the oil looks like that then that's another story.

So the oil actually looks really clean. I thought I’d try jumping the truck so I could move it down the street but it won’t jump. I think a mallet to the starter might do it but my arms are only so long. All the electronics come on and the engine turns and clicks but no start. Any ideas? I did try pumping the gas with the engine off to try to move fuel into the carb. I picked up a new fuel filter tonight thinking that might help me burn off the old gas without making the engine too unhappy but I haven’t gotten to that yet.

4AA7D0F5-3FAE-41F7-ADC8-6B7DAA4CBDAD.jpeg

The PO mentioned that the engine may have been rebuilt at some stage. Obviously the HG blowing doesn’t really make that seem likely but... does this look like a fixed galley plug?

View attachment 2196251

No. Not if you use the term "fixed" to mean "properly repaired" or "fixed in place" or "returned to a normal state" or even "properly cooked"

But hey.....on the bright side you need to have head work done anyway. Bring that to the machine shop's attention. First, search "galley plug" in this section and learn what that should look like in an ideal world.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to have blown head gaskets in the 2F. The cooling system is a little finicky. If it is drained of coolant and refilled by a mechanic that is unfamiliar with the engine, air can become trapped in the system and the gasket or head can suffer a failure. Usually the gasket goes and the head is fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom