EGR cooler leak question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'77 FJ40 mustard

The EGR cooler has a pretty substantial leak where the cover meets the body of the manifold.

IMG_0759.JPG

Is it possible to replace just the cover or do I need to replace the whole EGR cooler?

Searched and found several issues wth 'the big nut' and sheared bolts in removing the cooler.

Any advice appreciated in fixing this fairly large exhaust leak.

hOOter

It is probably just as easy and expensive to replace the whole enchilada. It may be easier to pull the cooler along with the manifold assembly and get a new manifold gasket.

It is probably just as easy and expensive to replace the whole enchilada. It may be easier to pull the cooler along with the manifold assembly and get a new manifold gasket.

Interestingly, I found the leak on the tail end of exhaust manfold gaskets change.

I just replaced (today) exhaust,intake riser gaskets and doughnut. As I was tightening down the doughnut I looked up and found this monster hole from the underside of the EGR cooler.

I can take it all apart again but would like to avoid if possible. I'm smart enough to listen to wise people, so if that's the easiest way, I'm
game.

If possible to do without pointers are appreciated.

Thanks for your advice

hOOter

The big compression nut is often a PITA necessitating some hefty tools that you can't fit with it installed.

A large crows foot might work for you there

A large crows foot might work for you there

Is it possible to remove the cooler with the pipe attached? Unbolt the egr pipe at the manifold with its 2 nuts and slide it out as a whole unit? My guess is that the nut and pipe won't clear the manifold rigidly fixed from up above.

I have done on my 55 several times, yes. you might need to loosen the steering box from its mount to gain some room. it IS a pain, but it can be done...But @Pin_Head is right...I am refurrbing my fj60 emissions junk, and trying to get everything cleaned up enough to be able to bolt it together nicely(cleaned threads, new flanges, might need custom compression feruls, new longer studs). even with all threads able to bottom by hand, it will still be near impossible to affect a crushed connection with all the other gear in the way{near}). I have not ruled out lifting the engine/trans/tcase out to mount the crap.

Im not an idiot.

If 2 wise people are cautioning me to do this the right way.....I'll listen.

Too many horror stories of broken _____ to do this wrong.

UPDATE

PITA is an understatement.

The big nut/j tube and egr valve have been removed.

Taking the unit off the truck was the only way to do this. I had to heat, soak, percuss, heat, cut , cuss, heat, soak.....finally.

IMG_0991.JPG

Thank you @pin_head and others for the sage advice.

Now on to the reassembly....

Last edited:
FWIW, I took a piece of 3/8" bar stock (think shackle plate) and made a crowsfoot wrench for the reassembly phase.

Best

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom