Length of 3FE vs. 2F or F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone out there familiar with comparing the length of the 3FE vs a 2 or 1 F engine?

I am asking because I have a 55 that someone swapped a 3FE into, but did not maintain the stock radiator. I believe the radiator in a 55 runs a little closer to the fan than in a 60 or 40.

Could I swap a 55 water pump onto a 3FE and run the stock radiator?

Thanks!

FJ55 fans and such

I read the article you pasted in and can share some thoughts. I've never seen an original FJ40 with a clutch fan- the latest year I've owned or parted was an 80, though. I have never seen an FJ55 with a fan clutch and have had quite a few 55's over the years.

My 78 FJ55 with stock engine has never overheated with the original solid drive plastic fan. Even letting the truck sit at idle in the hot summer it never overheats. The solid drive fan is more than adequate for the task of keeping the temps in hand.

Mark Whatley is right- there is not enough room in a stock FJ55 for a later model fan clutch. Even with the solid drive original fan blade there isn't a lot of clearance between the fan blade and radiator. Makes for great cooling but as I found out any unwanted movement in your engine mounts can put the fan blade into the radiator. Did that twice before replacing the front motor mounts. Cost me $400 each time to have the rad re-cored. Hope that never happens again.

I'm in the process of installing a later model (circa 87) 2F in my pig. I had hoped to be able to keep the later model water pump already on the engine but it looks like I am going to have to go with the original 78 water pump and pulleys. The earlier water pump is longer (taller if sitting on your workbench with the snout up) than the later model water pump, the fan mounting flange has threaded holes rather than studs, and the original 78 double pulley is really recessed backwards from the mounting flange. The original plastic fan blade attaches to the water pump flange with bolts.

I worried about having to use the original water pump because I didn't think it had the extra outlet for the hose that goes to the oil cooler. Wrong!!! The pump that was on the pig had a rubber cap over that outlet, secured with a hose clamp. I had changed all the hoses a few years ago and don't remember messing with that cap at all. It does look like all the hoses from the later model 2F will work right with the older water pump.

Clutch fans? I thought they were used to save energy, and to not run very fast until your engine temp started to come up.

To summarize, in my opinion with a 2F in its original location and a stock radiator in its original location there's not enough room in a 55 to run a fan clutch no matter what Toyota water pump you try. Gary S

I read the article you pasted in and can share some thoughts. I've never seen an original FJ40 with a clutch fan- the latest year I've owned or parted was an 80, though. I have never seen an FJ55 with a fan clutch and have had quite a few 55's over the years... Gary S

It looks like 40's went to clutch fan in Jan '77

55's went to clutch fan in Jan '79 and they switched radiators at the same time!

Anyone have a plastic fixed fan they can sell me?

I have some early and late F/2F water pumps and the various flanges...but I've never seen a 3F water pump.

All the F and 2F water pumps I have share the same size shaft...

OK the issue is that the bolt patern on the waterpump (where the pulley and fan bolt) changes when they changed from the direct drive fan to the clutch fan. The 3F uses the same waterpump flange as any late 2F with a fan clutch. There is enough room between the 3f waterpump and the stock 55 radiator to fit a direct drive fan but not enough room to fit a cluch fan which is about 1/2" to long to fit. I looked at puting a direct drive fan, pump flange on the 3F pump but then you cant use the 3F pump pulley which slides over the studs. A 2F waterpump (direct drive) pulley wont work so that is where I reached a DEAD END. There is about 2 1/2" between the pulley and radiator and I also havent been able to find an electric fan that thin. So the search continues.

Michael; I appologize if you have already thought about it but a "16 in spiral" or larger pusher fan+ shroud! with thermostatic control might work; perhaps + or - an oil cooler; it has for me on other applications or have a machine shop make up a shorter pulley so you can fit the stock fan ....had a local one make one up for me out of aluminum years ago after I cracked a cast iron one.....still going strong :)

Lou

Woah, not good to hear the elec fans are not that thin!

I was thinking electric to help w/ warm up times...

How thick are the thinnest units?

Thanks for writing on this.

I wonder if my only option is a custom machined hub to mate fixed fan to 3FE pump/pulley?

The quest for knowledge continues!

I have to fit an A/C condencer in front of the radiator which confuses things a bit more. I have looked at moving the Radiator and condencer closer to the motor and using a pusher fan of some sort in front but I havent come to any final decisions. The truck has to be done by the end of January so I will lety you know what I figure out.

Mike, the width of my pusher 16inch spiral fan is 3 1/4 in.....but this is ALL, hooked in front of the radiator with wiring and rubber bushings/vibration absorbers.......it is rated to move over 2000 CFM and I have not shrouded it.......I picked up mine locally but there are many listed on ebay; some rated to move over 3000CFM.......hope this helps;

Lou

Pablo, the low profile they list has straight blades, their high performance one listed is similar to the one I have mounted with spiral high output blades;in their measurements it is a bit unclear if they include mounting brackets/vibration absorbers, my measurement of 3 1/4 is taken from the radiator fins to the back of the motor as the fan sits in place; similar to their high performance spiral 16' fan profile of 3 1/4........I have it hooked up with a 15 amp fuse that has never blown and haven't noticed any problems with battery run down but I do drive this vehicle weekly; :idea:I like the idea of the low profile in the back as a puller and the higher profile in front as a pusher......for very hot environments or severe use like an AC + high ambient temps....this install has worked for me but am not running an AC.............install is a:banana:job one hot wire and a ground.......connected through a thermostat is adjustable and have it at 180'.....have done this install several times over the years on different vehicles and have been very happy..........hot rodders like it because of it freeing up horsepower and taking load off of the water pump bearings............... Lou

Lou,

Let me ask you this - how mauch air do you think the factory fans move?

Or, how much air do you think we need to move with an electric puller unit?

I am starting to like the idea of an electric, but just wondering if one 16" puller offset to pass side will work, or if I could go 2 x 12" pullers that are staged (or one for AC)

One 16" would obviously be less $ to spend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom