Your degreaser of choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Hell Mustang

Designer, Hack Photographer
Threads
I just got a 40 gallon water-based parts washer for my birthday. Does anyone else run water-based solution? What are you using and what is your favorite degreaser so far?

i am running some water base stuff from northern right now. it was a bit pricey and not all impressed with the cleaning ability. i'm running a 2 parts water 1 part cleaner. might switch to kerosene next batch.

Diesel

^^^ diesel x2. Best cleaner I have found.

i am running some water base stuff from northern right now. it was a bit pricey and not all impressed with the cleaning ability. i'm running a 2 parts water 1 part cleaner. might switch to kerosene next batch.
Saw that stuff, it's from Water Works. It surprised me when I saw the price tag. It's too bad the cutting power isn't any good.

Also, LA’s Awesome.

I use this and it seems to do a decent job. I’m on my first gallon for the last 2 years but plan to replace it soon.

It plays well with some plastics but not others. I have a metal basin but have the basin lined with a plastic can which I made sure wouldn’t turn to mush when exposed to the cleaner.

Edit - the one I use is solvent based but they make a water based solution. I have not tried it.

One word: Gasoline.

Second word FIRE

Most anything solvent based is flammable but gas is just too volatile to have in a parts cleaner situation.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Growing up farming we used "Solvent" . . .WTF happened to that stuff!? :)

Of course in small batches it was gasoline.

Gloves were always optional - - that is why I am fat now.

I've never had a parts cleaner myself but always used diesel in a bucket to degrease parts.

I just use kerosene in my parts washer. I wear gloves and I'm getting fat. I'm starting to think the gloves may be causing it.

Last edited:
You jogged my memory, Dave - Kerosene was what my Uncle said we used!

Don't take the gloves off!

some other options i forgot about since we are on the subject.

D-Limonene Cleaner/Degreaser
varsol

Water based cleaner, like CRC smart cleaner? Or like purple power?

I use purple power as a water based degreaser for everything that cannot fit in the parts washer. That s*** will take the paint off of my older machines if you don't dilute it. Works effing great, but not sure if it will work in a parts washer application. Maybe it will? Can be bought in 5 gallon pales at autozone.

For my parts washer, I use a diesel/kero mix. s*** seems to last forever.

Water based cleaner, like CRC smart cleaner? Or like purple power?

I use purple power as a water based degreaser for everything that cannot fit in the parts washer. That s*** will take the paint off of my older machines if you don't dilute it. Works effing great, but not sure if it will work in a parts washer application. Maybe it will? Can be bought in 5 gallon pales at autozone.

For my parts washer, I use a diesel/kero mix. s*** seems to last forever.
I seriously thought about trying some of the water-based cleaner from CRC. That stuff is called OzzyJuice, it's not made by them per se, but I believe they have a say in its development and they put their name on it to back up the belief that it's a good product. I'd love to try the stuff out if I can find a local distributor. I don't think it's a concentrate, so I may need to buy five 5-gallon jugs of it.

I love some purple power, I'll second that.

Fun fact: diesel/kerosene is pretty close to what jet fuel is made of, albeit with mostly kerosene.

Iv'e got purple power 1/2 and 1/2 with water.
Works really well, turns aluminum gray, and will burn the hell out of your hands.
I have a 5 gallon of water beside it to rinse with. Ordered some 2xl rubber gloves from Amazon for easy on/off

I have to follow-up on this post. I went ahead and did some more snooping around after purple power was mentioned. I saw that a few people posted success with Simple Green: Crystal on Garage Journal.

Crystal Simple Green® Industrial Cleaner and Degreaser

I went ahead and bought a 5 gallon bottle of the stuff and diluted it with ~4 parts water. Their instructions call for 1 to 15 parts in heavy duty applications.

I dumped it (and the water) in the parts washer and washed a few of the dirtiest, oiliest, greasiest, most disgusting parts I have in my garage. The stuff worked great. The two drawbacks are that the parts come out very slippery and they need to be rinsed off in fresh water after being run through the solution. Gloves are advised unless you want incredibly dry and cracked hands. The smell isn't nearly as pungent as the purple stuff, but I still like to keep the doors open. The best part is that it's not as harsh as purple power or ZEP purple cleaner. It's slightly more environmentally safe than the others too, though I wouldn't go dumping it on my plants.

Anyway, I figured this was worth a follow-up for anyone searching out a safer non-solvent based option. That said, solvent is still king with respect to parts cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom