Write-up: Toss the LSPV and install a manual proportioning valve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been a couple of months now since I ditched my LSPV (and ABS). BEST thing I ever did for my brakes.

I installed a proportioning valve (under hood) and played with settings a bit, but since I always have 500 lbs of stuff in the rear, it was easy to find a setting that works well for me.

Brakes are excellent now.
PValve route.jpg

IF/when reusing the OEM lines, the ends that went into the 'Tee' below the Master Cylinder all have a slight 'lead' built into them. So if you place that end into a shallow fitting....there won't be much thread engagement and a leak might occur.

It's an easy thing to overlook.
Good tip! Wish I saw this earlier. Mine looks a little shallow threaded into the MC and this would explain why. Guess I'll leave it for now since it's not leaking.

Looks clean. I personally had a hella of a time using the provided thread adapters from flying miata, they just didn't seen to seat that deep.
why adapters? theu make a wilwood with toyota metric fitting sizes....

rock auto also sells a 8" hard line with 3/8-24 on one side and M10x1 on the other. Could be useful for anyone putting the proportioning valve up by the master cylinder.

thats a nice find there, saves the hassle of having to cut an end off and reflare or find different adapters

The brake booster on my 94 just went out on me. Many years ago, I removed the abs fuse and took the bulb out of the dash after I could not get the brain to bleed thoroughly. Been driving it without issue ever since. Additionally, I’ve removed all the ABS sensors and wires along the axles/frame. Figured now would be a good time to do the full ABS/LSPV delete while I’m in there. I’ll also be replacing some brake lines as well.
I’ll report back with results and initial thoughts after the first test drive. Looking forward to the extra room under the hood and hoping to have better braking as well. What’d everyone do with their old parts?

The brake booster on my 94 just went out on me. Many years ago, I removed the abs fuse and took the bulb out of the dash after I could not get the brain to bleed thoroughly. Been driving it without issue ever since. Additionally, I’ve removed all the ABS sensors and wires along the axles/frame. Figured now would be a good time to do the full ABS/LSPV delete while I’m in there. I’ll also be replacing some brake lines as well.
I’ll report back with results and initial thoughts after the first test drive. Looking forward to the extra room under the hood and hoping to have better braking as well. What’d everyone do with their old parts?
All of mine went into the garbage. ABS unit, lspv, the whole lot of it. Not going back and I'm not selling this rolling death trap

All of mine went into the garbage. ABS unit, lspv, the whole lot of it. Not going back and I'm not selling this rolling death trap
all of mine went to a local 80 owner, because he is under the disillusion that he'll replace these brake parts as they age and fail. :rofl:

I havent looked at mine in a while, though I removed the abs pump, I think I put in a T from another cruiser to the MC...how did you plumb your two hardlines from the front brakes to the single output for the front on the MC?

Use the tee mounted under MC. IMO this is the best thread for ABS and LSPV delete.

I boxed mine up in the hope that someday they will be worth $5k and I can go on a bender.......

I boxed mine up in the hope that someday they will be worth $5k and I can go on a bender.......
I’ve been doing that for decades, maybe I have a $500 jewel hiding out there now😜? My old brake parts were lucky to make the recycling bin.

Gotta say I‘m loving having brakes in the 80.

I love it hahaha. I’ll probably just keep it all in hopes that it will be worth something one day as well.
About to get the delete done today. Unfortunately the booster won’t be here u til tomorrow, but with all the other brake lines out of the way it should make easier work to swap the booster.

About to get the delete done today. Unfortunately the booster won’t be here u til tomorrow, but with all the other brake lines out of the way it should make easier work to swap the booster.
I replaced my booster when I did the ABS & LSPV delete, its way easier with lines out of the way but you will want a second set of hands to guide the new booster in on the install. Took us about 5 minutes to wrangle it into position but was smooth sailing after that.

Got it done. Unfortunately, I still have to wait to bleed them and take them for a test drive since I’m waiting on the booster. I’m also going to replace the soft lines with braided lines. I’m liking the extra space and now I’m gonna have to clean up the engine bay Pretty simple .

IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_8152.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom