Worst Mod you have every done: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

worst mod i have done so far....trying to do to much at once! spent way to much $$ and time on a truck that is almost done but not enough to use for anything...pisses me off most every day i think about it...one reason i don't feel like wheeling anymore:( wish i had just fixed the engine and then continued to do one thing at a time but not the whole thing:(

Stew

cruzer said:
worst mod i have done so far....trying to do to much at once! spent way to much $$ and time on a truck that is almost done but not enough to use for anything...pisses me off most every day i think about it...one reason i don't feel like wheeling anymore:( wish i had just fixed the engine and then continued to do one thing at a time but not the whole thing:(

Stew
btdt...took me over three years to almost finish the 40...haven't touched it in the two years since....

nuclearlemon said:
btdt...took me over three years to almost finish the 40...haven't touched it in the two years since....

Oh great! All this encouragement is killing me... Been working on mine for about 2 years. Got it running, steering all new or rebuilt and brakes all rebuilt. All I need now is a 3/4 tub. I had no choice but to do it all at once. It was ALL bad! :)

Hi-Lift Spare Tire Rack

I bought a Hi-Lift holder that mounted to the spare tire rack and what a POS. No way can a stock tire carrier hold that weight. It sold on EBay. Other worst one was a Le Bra I must have drank too much beer when I bought that thing also sold to someone else. I am sure I am not the only one who has done this.
MJM

Worst Mod

PO had 4 sets of lights on the front bumper, only 1 out of each pair worked, a 2000# ATV winch behind the bumper, not to mention he let his kids stick Pokemon stickers all over the dash, which were unremovable with anything less than a razor blade. Then there were the rust holes in the tub "repaired" with fiberglass,... takes 15 minutes to fix it that way, lasts 15 minutes as well.

All that said, my worst personal mod would have to be running a shackle reversal for a yr or so. Didn't like that the front would squat during braking. Braking hard on road, it would squat 4-5 inches, and forget about braking coming down a steep hill on the trail, if gearing down wasn't cutting it (keeping speed down), I pretty much had to deal with it. Plus the driveshaft situation plainly sucked.

fsusteve said:
I'm the opposite, I've gone thru three sets of sua lift springs, wished I had just done soa the first time.
What does sua and soa stand for? I am looking at lifting my 77 fj40 and am curious.

SUA-Spring under axle

SOA-Spring over axle

Worst thing I ever did was buy a March performance pulley set up off of ebay. Crank, wp and alternator are great but the power steering setup is a joke. Even at half the price of retail.

Also not happy with black magic electric fan, should've gone with the taurus.

custom bumper with two taillights

I'd have to say the worst mod I've ever done was my taillights. When I built my bumper, I only put two taillights in it and used a trailer wiring converter. There was something goofy with my wiring and when I used the brakes, the turn signals didn't work so I either took screaming corners with no brakes or almost got rear ended when I would turn without warning. :rolleyes: I then installed 2" round lights for turn signals which are hard to see, so my next mod will be an electronic flasher and leds and maybe use the 2" rounds for running lights or something.

Does it have to be your mod? The PO of my 55 put 3.73's in the front axle while leaving the rear with 4.11's. I would think that this would have to qualify as one of the worst mods ever. Although he did get front disc brakes out of the deal.

Jared

Any more info for this?

Seems fitting for the FAQ also...

I should have gone with a Saginaw P/S instead of thinking that minitruck would do and be a cleaner, easier install. Now looking at redoing it and I've hardly put 500 miles down with it.
Takes my energy away when I piss myself off.

BTW, you guys talking about moonroofs - That might not have been your PO's mistake. I'm not sure, but I think that those could have been dealer installs. I remember seeing brand new FJ40's with those things installed in around 1978. Back then dealers in some areas couldn't move cruisers to save their lives so they tried any "Americanize" doll-up trick they could think of and do cheap in order to hopefully attract buyers.
For example, there was a brown one, up on one of those ramp displays with all kinds of geegaw mods on the lot of Santa Cruz, CA Toyota for well over a year. They couldn't sell it. That truck was stickered at $12K in 1979. I looked at it while they were doing the paper on the 1979 Toyota pickup I bought new for my wife to drive, for $6.7K.

my worst was buying my pully for my saginaw from tpi 4x4 it was a off the shelf ford part and two skinny for the 40 belt. no returns on special order my as+. i could have gotten the same part at local auto store for half what they sold it to me for. so for me tpi 4x4 :ban:

Some will probably hate me for this but my worst mod was swapping the stock 4-speed for the SM465. I could shift the 4-speed with a slight breeze and now I have to punish myself every time I need another gear.

I am going to check the shifter for wear because I have heard that may fix my problem. I love the low gears but if I can't fix the shifting...

Yup, treeroot, none of my two burb SM465s are hard shifting. They shift fast & easy for a truck trans with some throw distance. Not as easy as my FJ40 4-speed, though. I've only read of drag racers complaining that SM465s shift slow.

With out a doubt, hands down...gotta be anyone's FDB kit...not to bash any vendor. Go minitruck! It all bolts up with no booty-fab.

Jacobs Electronic Ignition was a complete waste of money for me. Are they still selling these things? I didn't notice any improvement in engine performance and then it flat out quit on me one day and left me stranded in the no-mans land between Tucson and Phoenix. Fortunately I had left the stock ignition intact. I had to walk to a wrecking yard to get a coil to distributor wire to reattach the OEM coil to the distributor. Then she fired up just fine and has been running ever since.

Second, I put in a set of Ironman springs from JTO about five years ago. The performance is excellent--I can drive down washboarded roads all day at 50 mph without any jarring, but they are rusting out like hell, and I live in Tucson!

Finally, I am in process of rebuilding my engine and thinking of putting in a MAF RV cam. Anyone ever regret putting in an RV cam? Any emissions issues, overheating, fouled plugs, etc.

Thanks,

Matt

My PO caulked galvanized sheet metal to to my hardtop to cover the 3 moonroofs (not dealer installed). When uncovered from the inside I found two large hearts cut out in the mid roof section behind the front rectangle. It must have been a shag wagon in the 60's.

I made the mistake of putting SOR aftermarket tail light lenses on my wagon. Cracked an faded in a matter of months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom