Worst Mod you have every done: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 77 fj40 has been in the family since the early 80's still pretty stock but had a leaky sunroof when parents bought it. I got the bright idea to fiberglass the hole in once the baton was passed to me. Knew a guy at the boatyard who did fiberglass work. $600 later I've got a 1/4 sheet of resin above my head glued a screwed to a wooden frame, with additional holes drilled to support the frame. It still leaks! Next step cut the whole thing out and replace with lex and weather stripping

After market taillights from Cruiser Corps. Absolute trash.

Door felt from ccot, feels like I’m going to snap the crank and they refuse to seat correctly.

I didn’t do this, but the only time someone else worked on my truck, the guy put a Webber 32/36 on without asking or telling me. Runs fine but lacking I’m sure. At least he messed up the invoice and only charged me half for all the work.

3 on one pic

1.fender headers
2.poly tank
3.advance handling revers shackle
4.not in the pic, warn birfield eliminator that keep on braking ,i return it to warn 11 years later and get my money back (unbelivable) now running aisin hub

keep in mind that i chose those parts and build my 40 back in 1999 with no computer ,no cruiser club , just toyota trail and other 4x4 magasine as inspiration
View attachment 575005
I did the Adavance handling shackle reversal, Thought it was pretty cool at the time. Like you said not a whole lot of info back then. Mines still on my 40 w old Gut buster 4” Rancho springs and shocks! Looks like you still got yours in this pic, What didn’t you like about it? I’ve never had power steering and was running 33x12.50-15’s Bfg muds.

I did the Adavance handling shackle reversal, Thought it was pretty cool at the time. Like you said not a whole lot of info back then. Mines still on my 40 w old Gut buster 4” Rancho springs and shocks! Looks like you still got yours in this pic, What didn’t you like about it? I’ve never had power steering and was running 33x12.50-15’s Bfg muds.

Yes still there , with 3.5" shackles for more caster and saginaw PS , it is a one finger driver , even with very old 35" krawler and DIY weld on beadlock

IMG_20231020_214228.jpg

After market taillights from Cruiser Corps. Absolute trash.

Door felt from ccot, feels like I’m going to snap the crank and they refuse to seat correctly.

I didn’t do this, but the only time someone else worked on my truck, the guy put a Webber 32/36 on without asking or telling me. Runs fine but lacking I’m sure. At least he messed up the invoice and only charged me half for all the work.
Ha! Reminds me of an old story I’d forgotten.

I had a buddy in the early days of the shop who was a diehard Holley carb guy. One day he comes in and offers to rebuild one of my Holley cores for free to ‘keep himself brushed up.’ I figure it’s gotta be slightly easier to off-load a rebuilt Holley than a used one. Keep in mind that at this point my 40 was my daily driver.

So about a week later he waltzes into my shop and tells me that he installed the Holley on my 40 while I was busy in the back and that now I have to try it! And he hands me my stock carburetor!🤬

Well, it ran like a raped ape…for about three days…until the engine had a hiccup and blew out the power valve. I gladly swapped my carb back on before I called him with the bad news.😛

Ha! Reminds me of an old story I’d forgotten.

I had a buddy in the early days of the shop who was a diehard Holley carb guy. One day he comes in and offers to rebuild one of my Holley cores for free to ‘keep himself brushed up.’ I figure it’s gotta be slightly easier to off-load a rebuilt Holley than a used one. Keep in mind that at this point my 40 was my daily driver.

So about a week later he waltzes into my shop and tells me that he installed the Holley on my 40 while I was busy in the back and that now I have to try it! And he hands me my stock carburetor!🤬

Well, it ran like a raped ape…for about three days…until the engine had a hiccup and blew out the power valve. I gladly swapped my carb back on before I called him with the bad news.😛
Wow, how did he figure it was ok to touch your 40 much less swap your carb?

That reminds me, the guy actually took off a Holley carb from my 40 to put the Weber on. I still have it in a box with a rebuild kit…
You could relive your past🥸

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom