Worst Mod you have every done: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My worst mod was diamond plate quarters AND rocker panel covers. Unfortunately they were a present for some occasion from my parents, so I felt that it was necessary to put them on. Wish I never would have done that.

Shipwreck said:
Worst mode is the Waggoneer springs on the front of my SOA FJ40. I have FJ55 springs in the rear and I should have waited until I could track down a second set for the front. The Waggy's were way too soft. Once I got them in and put the weight of the cruiser on them, they sagged into reverse arch and the frame settled all the way until it rested on the bump stops. Big waste of time, effort and money. :mad:

add a couple leafs ;)

My worst mod is definitely my CD deck.

I cut the dask to fit it in, but all metal is there (I just notched it and folded back the metal so it would fit) and I still have the AM only deck...so I may have to fix that one of these days, and put the CD deck in the glovebox.

Rebuilding the Rear Drum brakes. I wasted alot of money on buying all new wheel cylinders and having hard lines made up. I should have just converted to disc and been done with it. I am tired of always having to adjust them and clean them after every mud run.:D

that would have to be right now.

35's + 3.73's + 2h =

one
HELL
of
a
slow
ride.

Soon to be remedied though

2.5" lift and hinged shackles, took it right back off after 1 run and went SOA.

for me probably weber carbs. Ran them for ever thinking they were great ranking and raving about them because they were the 'cool' thing at the time. Then got in a cruiser with a good rebuilt Toy carb and who knew. All that power and fuel lost for nothing...

I ran that crappy Jacobs ignition on a 4 runner for about one month, POS! Made it run rough, idled wierd, called the company a bunch and tried everything they told me too.

Worst mod on my 40 has been dust. I really shouldn't let it sit untouched so much, I am doing well lately to work on it and get it ready to start running some of the local trails when they open back up. I have made a ton of mods though since I drove it last, and I am sure at least one of them has to suck, I just have yet to find out.

Worst modification has to be the attachment tabs for the trailer hitch sticking out of the front bumper (some PO's doing). You cannot believe how many times I bumped into them just waling around the truck, and it hurts :crybaby:

i would have to say sunroof. i didn't put it in, but no one should ever cut a hole in a convertible top.

cruiser ken said:
2.5" lift and hinged shackles, took it right back off after 1 run and went SOA.

Why, what did it do? Or not do?

One thing I'd NEVER recommend to anyone is adding add-a-leafs. Trust me on this, your kidneys will HATE you. Secondly is look at the guage of metal if you wanna buy some body protection. *Some of that bolt on stuff is cheap & too light guage for wheelin - more for looks.

landbruiser1 said:
Rebuilding the Rear Drum brakes. I wasted alot of money on buying all new wheel cylinders and having hard lines made up. I should have just converted to disc and been done with it. I am tired of always having to adjust them and clean them after every mud run.:D

OTOH... Mine would be rear discs. Waste of $ unless you need new drums, pads, and wheel cylinders at the same time. My old drums worked great compared to discs and I could've put this $ towards something else...

Rancho Add-a-Leafs

Standard electric fan to cool a v8. Go Lincoln Mark VIII.
Extended shackles.
BDS lift springs on my 60

snailwagon said:
Jto's rear disc brake brackets. They would never acknowledge the fact that the sent me a pair with fxxxed up caliper bolt spacing. I hate them and wish only jeepful things upon them.

Ditto that, had two different brackets sent out and both of them were not cut properly. Pins would never align properly, went with TSM and no problems.

Replacing rear heater hose that had a pin-hole in it. That was 9 months ago and haven't driven my rig since.

That has lead to 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 speed tranny, new T/C, rebuild of parking brake, tie rods, 4" lift, greasable shackles, rebuilt drag link, steering stabilizer, replaced motor on rear heater, new front heater core, new tires (soon) and wheels, replacing the bench seat for buckets, "new" engine and probably a few more that I can't remember now and I am sure more to come.

Dang, I need to get this rig back together and get it on the road.

Ran OME 2.5" springs with the stupid original OME shackles which had no provision for anti-inversion...I bent 2 springs :eek: :eek: And ran the cheap Cool Cruiser hoses that cracked up after a few years.

Not researching what year FJ40 would make the best platform for building a rig for the trails.

With my 65 FJ40, when I wanted lockers, I needed to replace/upgrade the axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom