Winch Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too bad receivers are designed and tested for straight pulls, and not side loading. And there is nothing more annoying that trying to dig your winch out of the rear of your rig so you can use it, then dig into the mud/sand/snow to mount it....etc....
I guess be cognizant of the limits of the gear your using. Just keep it at home and slide it in before you hit the trail. It will always be in great condition because its out of the elements. I wouldn't wait until your stuck to install it. Otherwise your stuck with a winch on a truck that just sits year after year in the elements. You can mount a receiver front and rear, left or right side, and on multiple vehicles so you have one winch for multiple vehicles.

Last edited:
Yeah I hear you. I see very little moisture on my trips, and when I do get the winch or even just the line wet I make sure to pull it out and dry it thoroughly. That is a good reminder though, for sure. In my very dry So-Cal location I'm more worried about solar degradation than moisture.
And, I might add, I'd love to hit the trail with you one day. Your level of experience and preparation is surely far beyond mine. Thanks for the tip.
I've been wheeling the buggy 3x a week for the past year. Hadn't wheeled the 80 on anything other than access roads until Sunday. Breezed thru the Double Sammy trail in about 30 minutes, every obstacle, with a friend following.

Solar is definitely an issue, especially for synthetic line. The buggy is almost never kept outside, and I usually have room in the shop for the 80 too. BJ74 is a garage queen.

Ya learn a lot in 30+ years of wheeling...and I've made my fair share of mistakes :)

I guess be cognizant of the limits of the gear your using. Just keep it at home and slide it in before you hit the trail. It will always be in great condition because its out of the elements. I wouldn't wait until your stuck to install it. Otherwise your stuck with a winch on a truck that just sits year after year in the elements. You can mount a receiver front and rear, left or right side, and on multiple vehicles so you have one winch for multiple vehicles.
Approach angles are terrible with a receiver-mount winch, and greatly increase the chances of damaging the winch because it sticks out so much. A winch tucked into a sturdy bumper is well protected.

So many winches are IP67 rated, the day-to-day elements are a minimal-issue. IMO, more winches fail to work because the owner fails to check their function regularly, and having it stuffed in the corner of the garage only means you are LESS likely to check. Disuse is hard on electrical.

In 30+ years of wheeling, I've had ONE instance where I needed to winch backwards....ran the line under the axles and pulled myself backwards for 5-6' to clear the obstacle and reposition.

Then there's those random requests for assistance.... "hey, that's a badass 80 you have there, my rig is stuck just up the road, are you able to help?" "No, sorry, I left my winch in the garage....." Most of my recovery assistance is because I happened to be there. I KNOW I'm the exception on this, but my 80 is 100% ready for recoveries every day.....recovery gear, welder, tools, etc all never leave it. I can be out the door in 5 minutes and know it's fully prepped for most anything.

Approach angles are terrible with a receiver-mount winch, and greatly increase the chances of damaging the winch because it sticks out so much. A winch tucked into a sturdy bumper is well protected.

So many winches are IP67 rated, the day-to-day elements are a minimal-issue. IMO, more winches fail to work because the owner fails to check their function regularly, and having it stuffed in the corner of the garage only means you are LESS likely to check. Disuse is hard on electrical.

In 30+ years of wheeling, I've had ONE instance where I needed to winch backwards....ran the line under the axles and pulled myself backwards for 5-6' to clear the obstacle and reposition.

Then there's those random requests for assistance.... "hey, that's a badass 80 you have there, my rig is stuck just up the road, are you able to help?" "No, sorry, I left my winch in the garage....." Most of my recovery assistance is because I happened to be there. I KNOW I'm the exception on this, but my 80 is 100% ready for recoveries every day.....recovery gear, welder, tools, etc all never leave it. I can be out the door in 5 minutes and know it's fully prepped for most anything.
Yeah but your an avid offroader it sounds like. For someome who goes and hits a mild trail once or twice a year or goes hunting it can be a fine option. I say this because the hunting fj60 we have has a receiver winch on the front and I have found it to be great. The receiver also doubles as part of a snowplow mount in the winter. While the cruiser is covered in mag chloride and salt spray, the winch is sitting at home. The body of the cruiser took its toll from that, but its built for getting work done.

Or, they trap moisture and don't allow it to fully dry. Like leaving your wet swimsuit in a plastic bag and forgetting about it....ew
took a closer look at it again last night, and on my ARB bumper with winch mounted feet forward would just water and dirt to blow in while driving, and possibly just sitting. it would keep UV off the line. But here in VA we get lots of rain and humidity.

i did pull the synthetic line off my winch this weekend and the last 10' or so was very wet still; days after hurricane ian cycled out. i let it dry in the sun. but the drum is covered in surface corrosion. yay.

i'll add winch cable drying to my list of things to do regularly

Yeah but your an avid offroader it sounds like. For someome who goes and hits a mild trail once or twice a year or goes hunting it can be a fine option. I say this because the hunting fj60 we have has a receiver winch on the front and I have found it to be great. The receiver also doubles as part of a snowplow mount in the winter. While the cruiser is covered in mag chloride and salt spray, the winch is sitting at home. The body of the cruiser took its toll from that, but its built for getting work done.
Hunting rigs are about 99% opposite of what most offroaders do....lol That random stuck on a fire access road is usually a straight pull, and not very stuck. We used to hunt with a stripped Subaru Brat, two of us could actually pick the back up when it got hung in the ruts. That and a come-along got us everywhere in northern WI.

I may wheel the buggy 3x a week. Or more. Hard.

Skyscraper2.jpg

Hunting rigs are about 99% opposite of what most offroaders do....lol That random stuck on a fire access road is usually a straight pull, and not very stuck. We used to hunt with a stripped Subaru Brat, two of us could actually pick the back up when it got hung in the ruts. That and a come-along got us everywhere in northern WI.

I may wheel the buggy 3x a week. Or more. Hard.

View attachment 3139585
Wheeling a buggy 3 times a week sounds like you may qualify as a avid offroader haha. Nice benefit of having a successful forum. Hunting in the rocky mountains is similar to doing a rough forest service road you would need 4wd for in the summer such as yankee hill in colorado. Except it's in the winter with varying depths of snow. Usually chains are needed. Same rig will do poison spider or fins and things every couple years(nothing crazy), and is used as a daily driver.

I'm late to the party but I have been running a ComeUp Seal Gen2 9500rs (9500lb winch with synthetic line) for nearly 6 years on my 80. I would say my 80 is heavier than the average 80 (fully loaded close to 8300lbs) and my winch has never had a problem the few times I've used it for self recovery. I've used it much more to recover other vehicles. During one Cruise Moab event on a trail I was leading we had an obstacle that myself and one other rig were able to drive. Several others in the group struggled and couldn't make it so I positioned to winch them up. The rest of the group elected to just winch the obstacle. I winched 18 rigs consecutively with a straight line pull. I expected the winch to possibly overheat and to need to take a break partway through for the winch to cool down. Wasn't necessary. The winch didn't seem to mind one bit.
So from my experience the 9500 winch has been more than up to the task. Different brand winches of that size may perform differently.

Recently ComeUp asked if I would do some testing on their new SOLO winch prototype. I had the option of testing the 9500 or the 12000 and I chose the 12000 so I could compare it to the 9500 I've been using for the past 6 years. I've only used it a few times so far and it's working as expected but up to this point I haven't noticed any significant differences from my 9500 with the actual winching pulls. The SOLO does have some cool features though with a magnetic wireless remote that you can stick to the bumper or other metal surface if you need your hands during a recovery. It's also got an overheat warning, displays battery condition. The control box is able to be remote mounted if you desire as well.

Bottom line for me is if you can afford the larger winch go ahead and get it (I've never heard of anyone regretting getting a larger winch unless it was a small comp rig). But if the budget is tight and you'd like to hang onto some cash for other things then my experience has shown that a quality brand 9500lb winch is adequate on an 80. However, I would recommend some kind of pulley block and tree strap etc to be able to set up double line pulls to increase the pulling power if necessary.

Winching with my 9500
IMG_0725 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

ComeUp Solo by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

ComeUp Solo 12.5

IMG_6968 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I've been trying to position the abrasion guard on the rope so that it would act as UV protection.
And a 3/8 synthetic rope can trap an amazing amount of dirt. When I spooled the rope in after pulling someone from a stuck in a running desert wash, the rope felt gritty. So, the next day I unspooled the rope and dumped it into a 10-gallon bucket with water and let it sit there for a while, with an occasional stir. I was surprised by the amount of sand and silt at the bottom of the bucket when I pulled the rope out of the water. Drying the rope - no problem in Arizona.

I'm late to the party but I have been running a ComeUp Seal Gen2 9500rs (9500lb winch with synthetic line) for nearly 6 years on my 80. I would say my 80 is heavier than the average 80 (fully loaded close to 8300lbs) and my winch has never had a problem the few times I've used it for self recovery. I've used it much more to recover other vehicles. During one Cruise Moab event on a trail I was leading we had an obstacle that myself and one other rig were able to drive. Several others in the group struggled and couldn't make it so I positioned to winch them up. The rest of the group elected to just winch the obstacle. I winched 18 rigs consecutively with a straight line pull. I expected the winch to possibly overheat and to need to take a break partway through for the winch to cool down. Wasn't necessary. The winch didn't seem to mind one bit.
So from my experience the 9500 winch has been more than up to the task. Different brand winches of that size may perform differently.

Recently ComeUp asked if I would do some testing on their new SOLO winch prototype. I had the option of testing the 9500 or the 12000 and I chose the 12000 so I could compare it to the 9500 I've been using for the past 6 years. I've only used it a few times so far and it's working as expected but up to this point I haven't noticed any significant differences from my 9500 with the actual winching pulls. The SOLO does have some cool features though with a magnetic wireless remote that you can stick to the bumper or other metal surface if you need your hands during a recovery. It's also got an overheat warning, displays battery condition. The control box is able to be remote mounted if you desire as well.

Bottom line for me is if you can afford the larger winch go ahead and get it (I've never heard of anyone regretting getting a larger winch unless it was a small comp rig). But if the budget is tight and you'd like to hang onto some cash for other things then my experience has shown that a quality brand 9500lb winch is adequate on an 80. However, I would recommend some kind of pulley block and tree strap etc to be able to set up double line pulls to increase the pulling power if necessary.

Winching with my 9500

ComeUp Solo 12.5

First picture looks like the wall, 2018 Cruise Moab I ran the trail with you, we were the only ones to make it up unassisted

I know this has been discussed a few times, but I'm in the market and can't find what I need to help me choose. I'm in between a 9500lb winch and a 12,000lb winch. I can get a great deal on a 9500 right now. I'll save a few hundred by going with the smaller winch that I can contribute to some other goodies...... My question is, is a 9500 enough or is 12,000 the clear choice? I plan on doing some trails and some mud, but nothing too intense. I'm trying to not just succumb to the "Bigger is always better"... Would be nice to save a little $$$, but I'll go 12,000 if needed.

My FZJ80 is completely stock except for 285/75/16 BFG's and an ARB front bumper.

Thanks everyone!
Do the math.. Frame deep in mud can double the extraction weight. Here is an example from a recovery calculation on a piece of farm equipment. Rock crawling recovery is very different from mud recovery.

Minimum Capacity Required = W + ARR + AGR
1665698773840.png

how to calculate additional rolling resistance by surface type

Winching with my 9500

ComeUp Solo 12.5

The ComeUp was my first choice, but from everything I read, they are ALL a foot forward only design...looks like you are mounted foot down with no problems????

Guide on winch calculations. I have had a snatch block fail and the amount of force was incredible. Hit a truck cab just below the rear window denting the cab and shattered the window. All my gear is now certified recovery equipment. The failed block was a Warn item but we had way overstressed it on a mud recovery.

Attachments

• Winching-Techniques-for-Vehicle-Recovery.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 36
First picture looks like the wall, 2018 Cruise Moab I ran the trail with you, we were the only ones to make it up unassisted
It might have been that day, I'm not sure. I've led that trail so many times they all kinda blur together. But I remember when you and I were the only ones to drive it. Good times.

The ComeUp was my first choice, but from everything I read, they are ALL a foot forward only design...looks like you are mounted foot down with no problems????
Not sure where you head that. They are all feet down design, but the motor/clutch can be rotated on most models to make them feet forward. They often recommend feet forward so that the forces on the mounting bolts is in line with the bolts rather than putting them in shear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom