Winch Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still running the original steel cable that came with M10k from the mid '90s but I did cut it in half to get the most pull during winching. However, I do carry a synthetic 100' extension cable which is rarely used. I've abused that steel cable to hell and back and just can't kill it.

I guess it comes down to what I plan on getting into off road,
What one "plans" to do, vs. what actually happens in the woods can be quite different.
There is no way I would ever go below a 12K on an 80. I carry a plethora of recovery gear when going on a trip, and it all gets inspected/replaced when needed.

I had an M10000 years ago and wanted to reduce weight and went to an M8000 and snatch block. Just another perspective. Smaller winches can work just fine if you aren’t doing single line pulls from Louisiana mud bogs.

Double the weight of the vehicle for winch - you could end up pulling out heavier vehicles with it. 12k for our portly rigs, but you could use a 10k. 9.5 is a little too small, IMO.

Steel cable is heavier, but more forgiving on shorter pulls, and won't friction burn like synthetic will, if you don't use the whole spool. It's also more difficult to fix in the field, if you break the steel line. Should be covered, but more forgiving if not covered.

Synthetic is better for weight savings, easier to fix in the field, however, it can easily friction burn. If mounted outside the vehicle, you should always keep it covered when not in use. Also keeps it clean.

Also depends on where you plan on wheeling. Desert generally has longer pulls, since good anchor points are further apart. Forest can offer plenty of trees to use.

Whichever way you go, make sure to get a good winch kit, and have the knowledge on how to fix the line you select, prior to outings.

You have an 80, so you have tools.

Craigslist a used M12K, tear it down & fresh grease & o-rings.
Warn has rebuild kits pre-made, and blown-apart diagrams for parts placement.

I did it for my 80, my truck has a fluke cheap deal on a new floor display Warn Zeon, otherwise I’d have a M12K there too.

THE best tool for winching is not ti get stuck !
triple lockers are a must before THE Winch .
good tyres are also a big help .
I world go with a 9000 lb , without doubt .

The duty cycle gets neglected or forgotten but needs to be factored in also when considering winch size. On a given pull, both winches setup with a snatch block, the larger capacity winch doesn't have to work as hard as the smaller winch. Most folks don't even think about it until they feel the winch on a pull to see how hot it's getting, or the winch thermally shuts down.

For example in the documentation that came with my 2011 Badland 12K winch, there were specs for the 12K, but it also contained specs for their 6K and 9K winches. So let's take a 2k pull as an example, which each winch should be capable of pulling(all specs quoted on 1st layer). The amps a winch is drawing is generally going to give you an idea of the heat generated, or more to the point - the more amps, the more heat. And excessive heat is a big winch killer.

2011 Badland winch specs from owners manual
6K winch draws 135 amps at 2K pull
9K winch draws 132 amps at 2K pull
12K winch draws 115 amps at 2k pull

9K winch draws 280 amps at 8K pull
12K winch draws 242 amps at 8K pull

Other winch brands will have different specs, but I'M confident they'd follow the same pattern. After owning an 80 for over 20 yrs now, I tend to agree with @jonheld in saying I'd not run with anything less than a 12K on an 80. However, yrs ago, when I first got my 80, I put an 8K Ramsey on my ARB. Thank God I was able to replace it with the 12K that's currently on it. One thing's for sure, I immediately noticed the difference whenever I needed to use it.

Last edited:
THE best tool for winching is not ti get stuck !
triple lockers are a must before THE Winch .
good tyres are also a big help .
I world go with a 9000 lb , without doubt .

A winch ist a the cheaper and easier upgrade for most trucks that didn't came witch factory lockers. 235/85 tires, part time 4x4 on open diffs and a trusty 8274 get base model cruisers going places they shouldn't go all around the globe.

Im all for big tires, triple locks and all the goodies, but in a lot of cases they aren't even necessary.

The duty cycle gets neglected or forgotten but needs to be factored in also when considering winch size. On a given pull, both winches setup with a snatch block, the larger capacity winch doesn't have to work as hard as the smaller winch. Most folks don't even think about it until they feel the winch on a pull to see how hot it's getting, or the winch thermally shuts down.

For example in the documentation that came with my 2011 Badland 12K winch, there were specs for the 12K, but it also contained specs for their 6K and 9K winches. So let's take a 2k pull as an example, which each winch should be capable of pulling(all specs quoted on 1st layer). The amps a winch is drawing is generally going to give you an idea of the heat generated, or more to the point - the more amps, the more heat. And excessive heat is a big winch killer.

Other winch brands will have different specs, but I'M confident they'd follow the same pattern. After owning an 80 for over 20 yrs now, I tend to agree with @jonheld in saying I'd not run with anything less than a 12K on an 80. However, yrs ago, when I first got my 80, I put an 8K Ramsey on my ARB. Thank God I was able to replace it with the 12K that's currently on it. One thing's for sure, I immediately noticed the difference whenever I needed to use it.

It would be interesting to see what voltage was being supplied to the winch motor. For DC motors, the current will increase as the supply voltage drops. This is one of the reasons I went with a dual battery setup and 1/0 wire gauge.

This is a good point, but bear in mind that the higher capacity winches generally have slower line speed, so even though they're drawing less current in this example they're most likely doing it for a longer time to pull the same distance. From a duty cycle perspective, you would need to take the relative speeds into account, which could make it a bit of a tossup.

Most of these winches have about the same horsepower(for a example M12 and M8 both have a 4.8 hp motor, the M12 just has more planetary gearsets), so in the end you're either getting faster linespeed and less torque, or slower linespeed and higher torque.

apart from the mechanical winch of the 80 series , that can pull as long as the motor is running , and as strong as the pin or the rope will break .
who knows for certain what is the rating of the original electric winch from 80 series ?

This is a good point, but bear in mind that the higher capacity winches generally have slower line speed, so even though they're drawing less current in this example they're most likely doing it for a longer time to pull the same distance. From a duty cycle perspective, you would need to take the relative speeds into account, which could make it a bit of a tossup.

Most of these winches have about the same horsepower(for a example M12 and M8 both have a 4.8 hp motor, the M12 just has more planetary gearsets), so in the end you're either getting faster linespeed and less torque, or slower linespeed and higher torque.
Maybe with the Warn winches you've mentioned, but not true with the early (2011 vintage...lol) Badland winches. To update the specs quoted in previous post:

6K winch draws 135 amps@12v on 2K pull with line speed 12.1 fpm (5.1 HP series wound motor)
9K winch draws 132 amps@12v on 2K pull with line speed 12.5 fpm (5.5 HP series wound motor)
12K winch draws 115 amps@12v on 2K pull with line speed 14 fpm (6 HP series wound motor)

9K winch draws 280 amps@12v on 8K pull with line speed 6.5 fpm (5.5 HP series wound motor)
12K winch draws 242 amps@12v on 8K pull with line speed 7.6 fpm (6 HP series wound motor)

It would be interesting to see what voltage was being supplied to the winch motor. For DC motors, the current will increase as the supply voltage drops. This is one of the reasons I went with a dual battery setup and 1/0 wire gauge.
The specs I quoted, I'm assuming, were done with "lab conditions" of a 12 volt power supply that was reliable. Otherwise why even show the specs? They're for comparison I would think. I also updated the specs in another post with voltage, line speed and motor size.

Doesn't everyone on Mud by now run at least 1/0 cable to the winch? :)

Maybe with the Warn winches you've mentioned, but not true with the early (2011 vintage...lol) Badland winches. To update the specs quoted in previous post:

6K winch draws 135 amps@12v on 2K pull with line speed 12.1 fpm (5.1 HP series wound motor)
9K winch draws 132 amps@12v on 2K pull with line speed 12.5 fpm (5.5 HP series wound motor)
12K winch draws 115 amps@12v on 2K pull with line speed 14 fpm (6 HP series wound motor)

9K winch draws 280 amps@12v on 8K pull with line speed 6.5 fpm (5.5 HP series wound motor)
12K winch draws 242 amps@12v on 8K pull with line speed 7.6 fpm (6 HP series wound motor)
I would not trust the specs from the Badlands winch.
There the cheapest low quality winch on the market.
Most likely over rated!!!

I would not trust the specs from the Badlands winch.
There the cheapest low quality winch on the market.
Most likely over rated!!!
You know this is a thread to discuss winch size, not bash particular brands. But, give us a good reason or proof of your remarks. Why would they lie about specs? Perfomance is where people make their judgements. Hell, everyone knows Harbor Freight's reputation, but I've heard very few failures of their winches. Mostly rumors and speculation because of their rep. And if a Badlands winch works for @woody , it'll work for most folks on this forum, IMHO. Mine has given me no problems in 11 yrs service, with little maintenance! I'm not claiming Badlands is better than any other brand, just adequate for most wheeler's use.

Last edited:
You know this is a thread to discuss winch size, not bash particular brands. But, give us a good reason or proof of your remarks. Why would they lie about specs? Perfomance is where people make their judgements. Hell, everyone knows Harbor Freight's reputation, but I've heard very few failures of their winches. Mostly rumors and speculation because of the rep. And if a Badlands winch works for @woody , it'll work for most folks on this forum, IMHO. Mine has given me no problems in 11 yrs service, with little maintenance! I'm not claiming Badlands is better than any other brand, just adequate for most wheeler's use.
🤷‍♂️ JMHO ;) I gald it's good enough for you and woody . You will never find one on anything I own :cool:

Oh I wasn't bashing just stating Facts

You know this is a thread to discuss winch size, not bash particular brands. But, give us a good reason or proof of your remarks. Why would they lie about specs? Perfomance is where people make their judgements. Hell, everyone knows Harbor Freight's reputation, but I've heard very few failures of their winches. Mostly rumors and speculation because of their rep. And if a Badlands winch works for @woody , it'll work for most folks on this forum, IMHO. Mine has given me no problems in 11 yrs service, with little maintenance! I'm not claiming Badlands is better than any other brand, just adequate for most wheeler's use.

And if a Badlands winch works for @woody , it'll work for most folks on this forum, IMHO. Mine has given me no problems in 11 yrs service, with little maintenance!.
FYI, I've been running a WARN 9.5 for over 5 years on my 80. My Badlands never failed, but it kept getting noisier as time went on. WARN and ComeUp are what I rely on for my rigs. I do a LOT of recoveries (10+ on Friday alone) and needed to be sure of my equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom