"Wife said cute" (danger Will Robinson) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My mission for this weekend was to get all the door and window mechanics serviced and operating smoothly as well as check for the deadly kudzu inside the doors.

E1CDA8D2-61F0-4DB6-BCE5-4FED43D3B5BB.png
AAA13A21-8A14-43C6-B705-29A66F696A5B.png

Amazing, these two doors still have the original moisture barrier with the ashtray condom.

The door vinyl on all 4 doors is in great shape but the cards are rotting and warped.

So new door cards

5961C342-1A41-4BBA-8484-A8FA75B3722C.png
63C7C3E1-038F-453A-8606-72751D126BA6.png

Didn’t have 1/8” staples to reattach the upholstery so I cut 3/8 staples down to 1/8”

BAF7FAC0-6199-44D1-A45D-ADC1CE4C19B9.png

48D4123A-5A09-4E1F-A3D1-E37BFFF8D539.png

Next I will spray penicillin on the inside of each door to neutralize the thin film of the evil orange kudzu that has infiltrated. Great that it hasn’t rooted in the door but it got close. At least slow it down for the next 10 years.
48D4123A-5A09-4E1F-A3D1-E37BFFF8D539.png

Did you buy new cards or did you make the new ones by using the old ones as templates?

Made new from old as templates. Used tempered Masonite like originals

Could you get me some pics of the PO mounted the retractor mechanism?

Hope these pics help.
They jammed these retractors hard against the existing speakers. No sense of decorum!

2756995A-72F4-4C3A-AB95-A602D29F29A1.jpeg
9695941B-BA39-4ECF-BD85-C70E827A762D.jpeg

Friday dropped pig at shop to do a fog test on fuel tank to locate leak. They ended up dropping tank and finding a split at a dent on top of the tank. Someone man handle it????

All repaired and back on the road.

Today I gave the engine bay a light pressure was. When I first saw photos of this pig I was pretty sure it was just grime. Turns out I think it was Oregon mildew.
Before

E67B79CF-281B-43BF-A967-0AE05F40EB00.jpeg

After

7546753B-F9A3-4A01-A0C9-08EFB9E13553.jpeg

I thing with a little more elbow the hood and engine bay will clean up nicely

Friday dropped pig at shop to do a fog test on fuel tank to locate leak. They ended up dropping tank and finding a split at a dent on top of the tank. Someone man handle it????

All repaired and back on the road.

Sounds like the breach I had on the top of my Pig’s tank.
Did you see that picture?

So work has been intense and no time to play pig but had to do something.

At some point in the past my 2nd mistress of the dark had a PTO winch. For some reason the PO or PPO stole the candy from my baby including the front bumper gussets.

The method in which they re-hung the front bumper was a bit dodgy. I installed replacement gussets courtesy of a fellow muddy using grade 8 bolts, cut off the malignant growth from the bumper and installed the bicycle deflector properly (except for the paint touch up, all I had at that moment)

Not a revolutionary feat but one more step to but the proper lipstick on a pig.

4556D911-4B17-46F3-A8A4-024EC48F5A86.jpeg
7499CE31-103C-4F41-85FE-0B1B257D3122.jpeg
202BBA61-B082-4CA0-BDC5-09899F34A78C.jpeg
FAF3F189-4E75-41E7-A4A3-0D79179CB2AB.jpeg

Thanks for the tip. How does one correct it.

Other interesting photos.

Hard to say what energy was used reconfigure this tire crank
View attachment 2067562

Am I correct in the fact that the dealers were responsible for installing hub release hubs?

View attachment 2067563

Have never seen these before

i think the crank is for the engine. My front apron has a hole in it I assumed was for a cranking mechanism but I'm not positive.

So, resurfacing after a bout of work overload. Have not done any wrenching (or is it wench) time in months.

Studying AC options for my 1970. I know there’s the ultimate AC thread as well as Pablo‘s thread.

2 questions.
-is a modern after market system (Vintage Air or equivalent) more efficient (powerful) then an original Toyota system (if so how much more)
-if I were to go for a Toyota system, are metric Freon lines (hoses) available or do I modify fittings to accommodate American lines (hoses)

thanks for any feed back

Here's my take on it, I've got the Restomod system and it works good. I'm right at 6 foot now and the air just doesn't get up to my head, I like to use a small fan to blow the cold air up in my face. My wife is 5 foot and feels fine with it, so all's good in scrapdaddy land. I have no experience with the factory system, so my opinion is skewed. I know placement of the vents higher in the dash will help, but you purist types are not willing to cut the dash up. Most systems have the vents under the dash in where lies the problem.

I've been thinking about a rear system to supplement the front, because in my opinion no one system will cool down the whole beast even with a ton of insulation. :meh:

So, resurfacing after a bout of work overload. Have not done any wrenching (or is it wench) time in months.

Studying AC options for my 1970. I know there’s the ultimate AC thread as well as Pablo‘s thread.

2 questions.
-is a modern after market system (Vintage Air or equivalent) more efficient (powerful) then an original Toyota system (if so how much more)
-if I were to go for a Toyota system, are metric Freon lines (hoses) available or do I modify fittings to accommodate American lines (hoses)

thanks for any feed back
The newer condenser design (parallel flow?) is going to be more efficient at heat exchange than the ones used in 1970.
You should be able to get custom lines made with what ever ends you need, at least I am hoping so!

2 questions.

thanks for any feed back

Here is what I plan on running in my Pig: 14

Parallel flow are said to be about 30% more efficient than serpentine, or tube and fin.

Parallel:
ac-condenser-parallel.jpg

Serpentine:
ac-condenser-serpentine.jpg

Some fun reading:

Thanks for all the input

be about 30% more efficient

what does the 30% equate as? Less work for the compressor, less load on the engine, colder air or?

Have the right front engine mount with the compressor bracket
Found the correct crank shaft pulley

Now to decide on the a/c components. My gut says make as Toyota would. The rest of the the pig is still original throughout. As long as the front seat area cools down. Although it would be nice to have a second evaporator under the front seat ?

what does the 30% equate as?
It’s a ball park number to compare apples and oranges.

Basically the modern components are smaller and do the same work as their older larger counterparts, for things like condensers this gives you the option of (A) going with a physically smaller parallel flow vs a serpentine due to space restrictions or (B) install an equal size parallel flow to support a higher cooling capacity system.

Again it’s all just a bunch of buzz words and unless you size all of the air conditioning components together it really won’t benefit you much.

I honestly don’t get the love affair with the dealer installed “Toyota” systems but if that’s a desire to keep a mostly original Pig mostly original then yes spend countless hours tracking down mostly original dealer installed A/C components and over spend for an underperforming system. Yes it will blow cool air when it works and yes it will look period correct so if you’re showing your mostly original pig and going to be judged on originality then sacrifices need to be made. If all you want is A/C to help keep the cab cool on those hot days then just buy a new modern system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom