Why no amber LED fog lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Earlier this year I added PIAA yellow H3s to the IPF housings in my Ironman bumper. Work great, super bright, and have a yellow tint. They do run hot and need a glass/metal housing.

On a previous vehicle I replaced my fog lights with 2500k HID's, and while the the color output was perfect there was significant glare. Fast forward to a year ago, I had my 20 inch rigid E2 covered with the yellow filters and the color was perfect but as stated the output dropped significantly. I would guess that the new bars that can switch between clear and amber could work but the cost is prohibitive. A good set of Hella's or something is probably the easiest and most cost effective although the d series rigid are very convenient due to their small size...

After getting my first cheapo LED light bar, I'm hooked. I love the obscene amount of light pouring out of them for locating camp at night, setting up camp, bombing down desert backroads, recovery situations, etc.

Been looking for lower draw, decent Amber LED fog lights and can't seem to find any. I do drive through serious snow storms over Vail Pass and the Divide and find the amber light cuts the reflection nicely.

I guess my question is why don't we see these available? If they are around, who makes'em? I would think that reflector technology is far enough along to create a nice wide, flat beam with good cutoff so as not to blind traffic. for fog lights I can't imagine needing 10000 lumens, either. ;)

Anyway...I'm curious about the technology, light patterns, wavelengths etc...or maybe fogs are right around the corner. I'm hoping 2000UZJ or BajaDesigns might chime in with some enlightenment.

Thanks for entertaining this question.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? I am wondering how good of a pattern and projection they give out in a real world situation.

KC HiLites Universal Gravity LED Fog Lights - 1493
PIAA 22-07206 RF Series Yellow 6" SAE Compliant Fog Beam LED Light Bar Kit

Seems like people often just say bright.. awesome etc, but anything that hurts their eyes seem to be bright and awesome doesn't tell you if they have a good cutoff or how far they project.

I purchase the fog lights and color changing bar and put them at the top of my SUV,

ApgD2.jpg

the illumination is super bright as it has about 200 watt to 300 watt power. the led fog lights have high penetration power and thus it improves the safety a lot when i apply them.

it seems there are both white and amber fog lights for car and ship. what are there difference?

Last edited:
Throw in my experience here, I'm running Rigid D2 Dually's in Amber Driving pattern in my ARB front bumper (Labrak kit). I was really disappointed with the light output at first, but I have grown to love them. They're low enough that they really throw good shadows along the ground for night wheeling (can see the texture of the ground really well) and the amber shows great in rain/fog/snow. I have bigger lights on the front for when I want to really light things up. I use these on the road when the weather is bad, snow/fog in Alaska and now that I'm back in GA in the rain too. While I was initially disappointed by their light output, I would 100% buy them again for the same location low on the bumper. One of my next projects will be to re-wire these as my DRL's so I can upgrade to LED high beams.

Link to lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMEMQ2O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody have any recent updates on this? I’ve been looking but can’t find anything. I can’t (or won’t) spend hundreds.

In other words: I want a super cheap light that is also awesome! :rofl:

I wonder how those would work and look in 4" holes of a grill. :hmm:

Anybody have any recent updates on this? I’ve been looking but can’t find anything. I can’t (or won’t) spend hundreds.

In other words: I want a super cheap light that is also awesome! :rofl:

I’m filling a total of 4) 4” circular holes in a Tundra winch bumper with the VisionX 3.7” units (good fit for a 4” overall hole).

I’m even in for a set of the amber fog/ellipsoid covers as well as a set of clear in both spot (just clear covers) & a set of clear covers with a euro beam pattern/fluting in them.

I’ve seen the next size up in action with a amber euro cover on it, and it throws some serious light.

Also - FWIW - I only paid slight under/right at 1/2 MSRP with shipping (made an offer for 2 sets) -from a ebay reseller - I’m in for pocket change over $400 for 2 sets of the 3.7” ones & the 6 light covers I bought direct (VisionX is ~70miles from my house), covers are ~$12ea & quality made, have a airtight gasket for airspace gap between the lenses. So ~$70 in lenses.

I’ll update this thread: Anybody here have a Demello bumper on a G2 Tundra / Sequoia?
-later this week when the bumper is stuffed with the winch, etc - if they suck for output, bumper has room for a 30” Heise bar I have slated for the boat, but might see the Tundra instead.

So under $200 for a pair. Not bad.

I installed these Rascals in my 05 Tundra Double CaB

My Hella Lights :: Optilux Extreme Yellow XY Bulbs

They ROCK and have that JDM Yellow Color we all want

Does anyone know who sells all the smaller Bolbs in the JDM yellow ? like a T-10 194 wedge bulb

DSCN8452.JPG
DSCN8453.JPG
DSCN8454.JPG
DSCN8457.JPG
DSCN8458.JPG

I went through this painful search and finally arrived at a pricey PIAA yellow LED bar - it throws more wide than far, which is good for where i live and spotting dear in crappy conditions which was my motivation in the first place, and I've been very happy with it.

You can see pics and details in this post here:
What have you done to your 100 Series this week?

I went through this painful search and finally arrived at a pricey PIAA yellow LED bar - it throws more wide than far, which is good for where i live and spotting dear in crappy conditions which was my motivation in the first place, and I've been very happy with it.

You can see pics and details in this post here:
What have you done to your 100 Series this week?

I like the PIAA yellow fog , good call

anyone know where i can source Yellow LED bulbs like T-10 wedge and such ?

and NoT AMBER ............fyi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom