who is running fj60 power steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know a lot of people are running this including myself. Does anyone know of a drag link or tie rod that has right hand threads and fits the fj60 pitman arm? When i intially did my steering swap i was in a time crunch so i cobbled something together with what i had available. I made a custom relay rod with a bj70 drag link on the pitman arm end however what i ran into was the correct tie rod for the other end of the relay rod also had left hand threads. I temporarily installed a different tie rod on this end (with right hand threads) but was not happy with it because the shank is not long enough and doesnt provide enough thread engagement into the factory fj40 pass tie rod end. At this point i am replacing all of my tie rods and wanted to properly take care of this. I have a new tie rod for the lower end of the relay rod (proper shank length) and will make another custom relay rod so, i am in search of something that will fit the fj60 pitman arm that has RIGHT hand threads. I know it will probably have 19, 21, or 23mm threads which i am fine with. I just need the correct taper for and correct thread direction.

I got my drag link and pitman arm set up from IPOR. IPOR supplies a pitman arm with a 80 series tie rod taper and the tie rod end. IPOR then has Budbuilt drop ship a heavy duty tie rod that has the correct threads for the 80 series tie rod end (that is available at most any parts store, I might add) and has the threads for a 40 series tie rod end on the other side. Works great. It's at least an option. Give them a call.

:cheers:

I got my relay rod from IPOR. When I decided to replace all the old moving steering parts , I bought my tie rod from Bud Built and my ends from Cruiser Outfitters. The relay rod from IPOR is also a Bud Built I believe. Driver side rods are right hand thread Pass. side is left hand. Hope this helps.

An 80 pitman arm will fit. They are avail at many vendors with varying degrees of drop. When I built mine I used all 60 series stuff and cut down a 60 relay rod and sleeved it. Tie rod I used metric weld in threads and jam nuts. Tie rod threads are same on 80 and 60. Relay rod are smaller. Wish I could find a pass side relay to tie rod that took 80 ends for spring under but not in my cards yet. U can get luke to build them for ya. Then use all 80 ends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

There are sleeves (bushings) to make up the gap between the 60 pitman arm taper and a 80 TRE. Can't remember where I got mine, maybe 4X4labs? Most people that build drag links and tie-rods can build them with RH and LH fittings.

Do u have 40 steering arms or mini/60 ? That will help us give you more options. 60/mini fit 80 tie rod end taper. 40 fit 40. The pass relay rod end piece is different thats why I ask. With 60/mini u can use that insert (which I would love to find) and run three 80 style ends and use weld in bungs and jam nuts using a 60 tie rod end at the pass side. Or with 40 steering arms your options are 40 ends on three and a 60 into a 60 pitman or 80 into 80 pitman and custom relay rod.
The steering arms dictate what your options are. If you have big knuckles off 79 and newer it would be as easy as finding some arms from a buddy that did hy steer. Small knuckle your limited more

Have the same issue with mine. Get a ream and ream out the hole on the tie rod end on the passenger side large enough to accept the factory 60 series drag link end for that side. The 60 drag link end will thread directly into your BJ70 drag link (right hand thread I guess, can't remember offhand). Or send/buy from cruiser outfitters (what I'm going to do) or some other Toyota shop close to you who will have the proper ream to do the job. I think it's a 1 in 12 ream, kinda an odd angle and not easy or cheap to find. Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD at 85mph in an FJ40

I cut my original driver's side tie rod end off saving the threaded portion. Got a 60 tie rod end that was the wrong direction thread and cut off the threads and saved the actual tie rod end. Beveled the two pieces and mig'd them together. Now the rod adjusts properly when it's rotated. Yeah.... I trust my welds.:cool:

The cut and weld is what I did as well using a new 60 relay rod. Sleeved it inside and plug welded it as well. All I did was shorten it. I can build beefier later if needed.

I got my drag link and pitman arm set up from IPOR. IPOR supplies a pitman arm with a 80 series tie rod taper and the tie rod end. IPOR then has Budbuilt drop ship a heavy duty tie rod that has the correct threads for the 80 series tie rod end (that is available at most any parts store, I might add) and has the threads for a 40 series tie rod end on the other side. Works great. It's at least an option. Give them a call. :cheers:
Curious how much this ran you. I've got the 60 pump and steering box and all the lines mounted up, just working on all the rods and pitman. Having IPOR supply those parts would be much easier.

I've seen a bunch of discussions on crazy combinations of parts to make the 60 pS swap work and most of it was over the relay rod/TRE issue. I've seen people butcher two rods and sleeve and weld them to make this work (with varying degrees of success and usually bad aesthetics). Seems to me, the simple answer is to get a new relay rod made by someone like Luke at 4x4 labs. It is $65, think for a custom threaded DOM rod with whatever threads you want.

Rare or unique is cool until you are stuck in BFE needing a new one.

I know a lot of people are running this including myself. Does anyone know of a drag link or tie rod that has right hand threads and fits the fj60 pitman arm? When i intially did my steering swap i was in a time crunch so i cobbled something together with what i had available. I made a custom relay rod with a bj70 drag link on the pitman arm end however what i ran into was the correct tie rod for the other end of the relay rod also had left hand threads. I temporarily installed a different tie rod on this end (with right hand threads) but was not happy with it because the shank is not long enough and doesnt provide enough thread engagement into the factory fj40 pass tie rod end. At this point i am replacing all of my tie rods and wanted to properly take care of this. I have a new tie rod for the lower end of the relay rod (proper shank length) and will make another custom relay rod so, i am in search of something that will fit the fj60 pitman arm that has RIGHT hand threads. I know it will probably have 19, 21, or 23mm threads which i am fine with. I just need the correct taper for and correct thread direction.

IIRC - the tie rod is the link between the two front steering arms, while the relay rod connects between the steering box pitman arm and the passenger side steering arm.
Sounds like you are looking for relay rod options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom