Which Tires Wear Fastest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My rig eats tires faster in the front, I would run a bald tire in the back before the front. As others have stated, good traction in the front is important for steering and stopping. I like to stay on the road when its slick lol

My rig eats tires faster in the front, I would run a bald tire in the back before the front. As others have stated, good traction in the front is important for steering and stopping. I like to stay on the road when its slick lol
:bang:

@Kaninja - blame Honda. VW too.

Both those dealers did & prob still default to better tread up front, and you’re fighting some 4 decades of what has been preached to people since the gas crunch of the early 70’s when FWD caught on.....and for little s-box FWD cars, I’d do it too - or just buy a pair of tires.

I’m out of the little s-boxes tho.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to run the slightly more worn ones in the rear in hopes they will all wear out together. Seeing how this is not a daily driver, I should get years worth of service out of this set.

Better tread on the rear. I agree with @Kaninja

So to me I want to put the tires with the most tread on the front so that they will all wear out at the same time. However:

So I want to put the tires with the most tread in the rear?

So it’s different for different cars. You want front to have better tires if you have front wheel drive. The 80 is AWD and I would put better tires up front in bad condition as most braking comes from the front tires. The reason people put better tires in the back is because they are use to having rear wheel drive cars.

I'm wondering if the front or the rear tires wear faster? I ask because I have a used set of tires I want to put on my rig and two of then are more worn than the other two. I'd like to put the ones with less tread where they will last the longest, i.e. where the tires wear slower.
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to run the slightly more worn ones in the rear in hopes they will all wear out together. Seeing how this is not a daily driver, I should get years worth of service out of this set.
If it were me, even though it's not a DD, I would not put an unmached set of tires on my 80. My 80 is my "go to rig" to depend on in inclimate weather and in all honesty, anytime. The VC is also a consideration. Also, when I buy tires for it, it's a set of 5 - not 4 and similar size worn but usable spare. And the spare is in my tire rotation pattern. YMMV, if you're asking for opinions, I don't like "planting weeds in my garden" - no disrespect intended.

The reason people put better tires in the back is because they are use to having rear wheel drive cars.

This is not why.

Edit : Actually there was a time when the standard practice was to put new tires on the drive wheels. Now we know this is wrong. New tires on the rear, regardless if it is RWD, FWD, AWD.

Still, preferably 4 new or equally matched tires.

Last edited:
Yes. To some it sounds counterintuitive. However, it is better to lose traction with the front end and push or understeer through a corner than it is to have the ass end try and pass you.

No...it doesn't 'sound' counter-intuitive...it IS counter-intuitive. Anytime you have understeer or God forbid are pushing the front end...you are going too fast for the conditions and ONLY reducing speed will correct this.

Losing traction in the rear is often 'correctable' by simply counter steering (depending on the surface). You lose traction in the front and you ARE going to go the direction momentum is carrying you until you lose enough speed (or tractive conditions change) to allow you control again. The trouble is...today's drivers have been reared on ABS/Stability control...etc....and don't know how to 'handle' a vehicle any more.

Not to mention that under normal conditions the steering axle will benefit most from having the best traction to facilitate turns as well as braking (as most situations have the weight transferring to the front). If you have the 'ass end' come around on you (on anything other than snow, ice) you don't know what you are doing.

Lastly, it should go without saying....it is always best to have tires that are evenly worn AND have enough tread for the conditions needed. Way too many folks out there riding on tires of dubious tread depth (trying to get that last bit of good out them).

Oversteer is a more dangerous condition than understeer. This is why so many car manufacturers dial in a certain amount of understeer as opposed to oversteer.

This is why every tire manufacturer recommends new tires or tires with more tread on the rear regardless of where the drive wheels are. Same goes for almost all tire shops....as they should.

I still recommend 4 new tires 1st. If only 2 then to the rear they go.

If it were me, even though it's not a DD, I would not put an unmached set of tires on my 80. My 80 is my "go to rig" to depend on in inclimate weather and in all honesty, anytime. The VC is also a consideration. Also, when I buy tires for it, it's a set of 5 - not 4 and similar size worn but usable spare. And the spare is in my tire rotation pattern. YMMV, if you're asking for opinions, I don't like "planting weeds in my garden" - no disrespect intended.

This is not even my backup rig. And I'll take my Subaru with winter tires over my Land Cruiser when the weather gets bad. As for the tires, I just didn't have $1K+ dollars to throw down on some tires. Picked these up for a good price and in good condition. All tires still have good tread, but two have a little bit more. Apparently they didn't wear evenly on the truck they came off of.

Oversteer is a more dangerous condition than understeer. This is why so many car manufacturers dial in a certain amount of understeer as opposed to oversteer.

+1, but you’re fighting a battle where the tire manufacturers say “best out back” & the car manufacturers (lawyers) say “best up front”.

It comes down to each guy is going to do what they think/hear is best or their gut says.
This could easily fall into being “best motor oil” -type thing for threads.

The last I’ll say is that semi-regular rotation keeps you from having to think this through. Rotate tires every 2 oil changes.

This is why every tire manufacturer recommends new tires or tires with more tread on the rear regardless of where the drive wheels are. Same goes for almost all tire shops....as they should.

I still recommend 4 new tires 1st. If only 2 then to the rear they go.

Here is Michelins 'reasoning' for your claim, (as relates to wet conditions). Laughable.

Please note how the instructor has the driver lift off the throttle just as soon the vehicle begins to 'push' (tires on rear) and how she has him "go-go-go-go" when the tires were on the front in order to even get the tires to break loose in the rear (because the front is tracking so well) and THEN has him JAM ON THE BRAKES! Of course you are going to swap ends. Seriously...watch this folks.

READ the comments below the video. Virtually everyone's BS meter was pegged.

****Remember when Margarine was better for us than Butter, experts had that wrong too.****

Agree with you about 4 new tires or at least 4 tires with adequate tread (and type) for the conditions at hand.

Edit: Watch the instructor challenge 'counter steering' to recoup the rear end. Then watch the video and note that all four tires are locked up. You CAN'T steer (any method) with the brakes locked up. I promise you...I could recover from that hydroplane situation.

Last edited:
Awesome. You Tube comments.:clap:

Tire manufacturers and insurance companies are wrong, and You Tube comment worriors are correct.

Nothing further to say on the subject.

Awesome. You Tube comments.:clap:

Tire manufacturers and insurance companies are wrong, and You Tube comment worriors are correct.

Nothing further to say on the subject.

You're fighting a battle you won't win. Let them be wrong.

Tire Rack even sent people to Michelin's proving grounds to test out the claim. New tires in the rear is always best.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52
If the front tires have significantly less tread depth than the rear tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rear tires. While this will cause the vehicle to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead), understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control.

I've had this same battle on other forums so don't feel bad. Something something you can lead a horse something something...

You're fighting a battle you won't win. Let them be wrong.

I know. Hey I couldn't even convince my Sister in law years ago. Her boyfriend knew better. On ramp, + bad shocks, plus old tires in the back with heavy rain......she destroyed her $800 Dodge Colt when the ass snapped around. Thank God she was OK.

This argument is mostly akin to the motorcycle argument of lean vs countersteer. Countersteer is correct, but thousands of riders with 30+ years of experience says countersteer is a myth.......soooooo.

I put the two best tires on the starboard side when heading east and then swap them to the port side when heading west to compensate for the rotation of the earth.

Oh no, key the Flat Earthers saying the Earth is Flat and motionless.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom