Which Tires Wear Fastest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wondering if the front or the rear tires wear faster? I ask because I have a used set of tires I want to put on my rig and two of then are more worn than the other two. I'd like to put the ones with less tread where they will last the longest, i.e. where the tires wear slower.

Always put tires with the most tread on the back if it is quite noticeable. This is most important if it rains a lot where you live or you get snow or ice.

Front tires live harder lives and die sooner.

So to me I want to put the tires with the most tread on the front so that they will all wear out at the same time. However:

Always put tires with the most tread on the back if it is quite noticeable. This is most important if it rains a lot where you live or you get snow or ice.

So I want to put the tires with the most tread in the rear?

True in a rear wheel drive car/truck. I have had the opposite experience with front wheel drive vehicles. They drive from the front so that's where the traction is needed. On an all wheel drive I am not sure how much it matters other than the fronts tend to wear quicker.

So I want to put the tires with the most tread in the rear?

Yes. To some it sounds counterintuitive. However, it is better to lose traction with the front end and push or understeer through a corner than it is to have the ass end try and pass you.

It isn't so much about accelerating. Under braking and cornering is where having equal or more traction in the rear matters. As the front tires wear, this is even more pronounced. AWD, FWD, or RWD, it is all the same.

Someone's been reading the poster at walmart's tire center...

If the tires are worn enough to cause that much of a mismatch in performance, they need to be replaced.

Someone's been reading the poster at walmart's tire center...

If the tires are worn enough to cause that much of a mismatch in performance, they need to be replaced.

Or I worked for Bridgestone in the 90's as a technical rep. I will never recommend better traction in the front after having driven every combination you can think of in virtual every condition. The Walmart posters are correct.

I also always recommend 4 new tires or equally worn tires at the same time. However for the consumer this isn't always what they will do.....so what I recommend is the next best thing, and much safer than the other way around.

traction sure is nice. So are steering and braking.
I've always put the best tires of a foursome on the front - that's where all my steering, and most of my braking is...

traction sure is nice. So are steering and braking.
I've always put the best tires of a foursome on the front - that's where all my steering, and most of my braking is...

It is wrong.:deadhorse:

Given the OP's question, barring a part time conversion, I will say the fronts will wear slightly faster. Keep rotating and you won't really notice.

Last edited:
Also, your viscous coupler might not like the mismatched tread depth over a long period of time/miles. How much difference in tread are these tires?

It is wrong.:deadhorse:

Given the OP's question, barring a part time conversion, I will say the fronts will wear slightly faster. Keep rotating and you won't really notice.

Sure. :rolleyes:

I never rotate my tires and always have even wear. Just keep an eye on your front axle and don't have too much toe.

So what is too much toe? Go to a concrete parking garage where they have a spiral entrance and exit. If driving on the spiral you can hear the front tires squealing, you have too much toe or other problems.

Discount Tire will always put the best tires on the front FWIW

Discount Tire said:
If for whatever reason you replace only two tires, we recommend installing the two new tires on the rear. This helps maintain reliable traction in wet weather. If only one tire is being replaced, it is best to match it with the best of the three remaining tires and place them both on the rear axle.

If they are they are going against their own policy and industry standards. Some tire shops still put lug nuts on with rattle guns with the pressure cranked......

If they are they are going against their own policy and industry standards. Some tire shops still put lug nuts on with rattle guns with the pressure cranked......

Its been years since I used Discount, policy may of changed or I was mistaken:doh:

I never rotate my tires and always have even wear. Just keep an eye on your front axle and don't have too much toe.

So what is too much toe? Go to a concrete parking garage where they have a spiral entrance and exit. If driving on the spiral you can hear the front tires squealing, you have too much toe or other problems.

How much do you want to bet I can get the tires to squeal no matter what the toe is?

But yeah, I think I remember that procedure being in the FSM. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom