When to replace Ignition coils. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Misfire of a coil does not always set off a CEL or even pending code. But with tech stream it can usually be spotted.

Coils over time weaken due to heat. Cracks in coils in do indicate excessive heat. It does not mean they're bad. But I've found in some cases, I can detect weak coils during a driving test.

When I know all system working at peak. That is compression, air intake, vacuum, fuel, spark plugs, back pressure in exhaust, engine temp, etc.. Then go out and floor it from 0 to 90 MPH. If l feel the tiniest hesitation at various point in the power cure. Slap in a new set of coils, that clears it up. MPG improves and raw gasoline smells go away.

In OP, there is a video of equipment than can measure this health. I don't have. So I use seat of the paints.

I bought two to keep as spares from Amazon for $126.38. These have the Denso testing lot numbers and other markings that come with authentic Denso products. I will make pictures and post tomorrow.

As promised I am posting some examples of Denso coils with the unique testing lot numbers and markings that I have found to be a consistent indicator of authenticity between Denso, Aisin, and Aisan (e.g. Toyota owned) parts.

Unfortunately, I do not have any counterfeit coils products to compare. I will need another member to chime in. However, I do have examples of OEM Aisan counterfeit injectors with these same type of lot number markings that I can post in a thread that is dedicated to identifying authentic vs. counterfeit parts.

Note that production control testing trace numbers can be found virtually all Toyota parts. This lets Toyota trace the part back to specific lots from a given OEM parts supplier.

So here goes. Denso part number 673-1303 - Made in Japan.

1584109533203.png

Unique (B10 and B15) production lot numbers on the coil boot.

1584109608138.png

Production lot numbers on the coil body.

1584109674984.png

1584109730592.png

It's not totally clear to me based on previous posts. Do you all think that the coils sold at Jegs are solid?

Jegs', drop ships coils from Denso USA. Just got set last week.

i carry at least two spares with me all the time, easy fix when it happens, but when it happens you can be stranded with low power or very rough performing motor....Denso is the way to go but ive used the cheap ones on amazon too...be SURE to use the grease to coat the rubber coating before you put the new one in because if you dont, when you go to change it our later the rubber boot can detach from the coil and thats a major PITA trying to get that rubber boot out of the spark plug hole....especially for cyl 7 or 8

i carry at least two spares with me all the time, easy fix when it happens, but when it happens you can be stranded with low power or very rough performing motor....Denso is the way to go but ive used the cheap ones on amazon too...be SURE to use the grease to coat the rubber coating before you put the new one in because if you dont, when you go to change it our later the rubber boot can detach from the coil and thats a major PITA trying to get that rubber boot out of the spark plug hole....especially for cyl 7 or 8
Thanks for the tip! Mine were just delivered today, so I’ll be doing this very soon. I have a set of 8 plugs and now the 8 coils.
What kind of grease? Just any old dielectric grease like used for car batteries and such?

Interesting. Replacing my set during down time at home and I noticed my old coils (Toyota parts) had flared tips on the rubber gasket but the new ones from Jegs don’t. Anyone else notice that? Should I be concerned?

BCD265BB-5906-4157-A5E8-C63CF8F362B0.jpeg

5355FC7C-3A68-46CF-BE53-335163280617.jpeg

Just different style. Makes no difference flared boot or not..

I just received a package of 8 'Genuine OEM' Denso coils from EBay. I was so excited. Only spent $135 on them, a US seller.

When I got was a box with individually bubble-wrapped coils. I inspected the coils - turned out to be very good counterfeits. The plastic did not feel right. It does not look like normal Denso quality. The plugs do not have the Denso part number sticker on top.

I asked for a refund. And the seller kept trying to get me to 'just install them, - it has the part number right on the coil, it was just a bulk package so it does not have a Denso blue box, etc.' I told him they were counterfeits - give me my money back. His responses were mistyped and had spelling errors.

I am getting my refund. Just be aware. These fakes are really convincing.

View attachment 2186980

View attachment 2186981

View attachment 2186982

View attachment 2186983

Thank you for posting this. I felt a little roughness in my idle today, did some searching and ultimately decided to do the coils (250K). I sure thought I was Jiminy-fricken-smarty-pants when I found these for $27/ea on eBay labeled "Genuine Denso". Of course, I'd only gotten a dozen pages into this thread when I bought them and hadn't seen your post yet. Was your order from a seller called Professional Sales Company? I see yours were ordered in January, and they only have 1 negative review in the last 6 months, for these parts. Was that you?

Looks like a lesson learned the hard way on my part. I've contacted the seller, advised that I have good reason to believe the parts are in fact counterfeit and would like the order cancelled. I don't expect there to be any issues getting it refunded.

*To update- they responded to my message within about 10 minutes. Advised they've never had complaints about the authenticity of their products but refunded the order immediately. If I were a pettier person (I probably am) I'd refer to the negative feedback review referencing fake products and post a link to this thread. However, I don't think it'd be wise to tell counterfeiters how to make a better counterfeit.

Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I felt a little roughness in my idle today, did some searching and ultimately decided to do the coils (250K). I sure thought I was Jiminy-fricken-smarty-pants when I found these for $27/ea on eBay labeled "Genuine Denso". Of course, I'd only gotten a dozen pages into this thread when I bought them and hadn't seen your post yet. Was your order from a seller called Professional Sales Company? I see yours were ordered in January, and they only have 1 negative review in the last 6 months, for these parts. Was that you?

***DO NOT BUY COUNTERFEIT!!!!***

Good eye MongooseGA. That's the one I bought, for the seller you quoted.

These are the responses I got.
I requested a return request under the category counterfeit:
"This item did not come in an official Denso box or part bag. There is no Denso part sticker on top of each coil. I would like a full refund please."

Seller response:
"Dear buyer, This item is genuine oem part without original pacakge. You can see that their is a denso brand marked on the part. Would you pls have a try?"

My Response:
"I would like to return these for a full refund please"

After that I did get a refund.

Things to note: Who responds in a formal message with 'pls'? And the seller used the wrong word, 'their' instead of 'there'....

Lastly. The the order placed with USD. But PayPal charged a foreign transaction fee, because it converted dollars to Chinese currency to a Chinese name seller. So this seller is even more shady, cannot even have an account defaulted to USD.

I did not leave negative review... I should have. Could have saved another Mud member for buying these fakes.

Good thing you got your refund.

Looks like a lesson learned the hard way on my part. I've contacted the seller, advised that I have good reason to believe the parts are in fact counterfeit and would like the order cancelled. I don't expect there to be any issues getting it refunded.

*To update- they responded to my message within about 10 minutes. Advised they've never had complaints about the authenticity of their products but refunded the order immediately. If I were a pettier person (I probably am) I'd refer to the negative feedback review referencing fake products and post a link to this thread. However, I don't think it'd be wise to tell counterfeiters how to make a better counterfeit.

Buyer beware.

I just found this post after ordering from the same seller on Ebay yesterday. I've messaged them requesting to cancel. I'm tired of rolling the dice with Ebay. Anybody know a good reputable seller for these coils? Thanks.

Rock Auto has them for like $54/pc.

Thanks! Ordered from them earlier.
Did your new coils smoothen out the ride? I've had lingering rough idle issues for awhile, but finally got a CEL (P0307) yesterday after sitting idle for 30 minutes with the AC on full blast.

I have had great luck with the Japanese made YEC FLAMMA IGC 107F, Amazon has them for 28 dollars each.

Buying new auto parts (oem or branded) on Amazon or ebay is risky. Yes there are legit sellers but an equal number of well disguised counterfeit products represented. Lots of wasted time & resources to buy, inspect and then have to send back. If it matters, purchase through a reputable distribution channel.

Denso coils are $57-$58 through multiple authorized retailers and authorized Denso distributors:
Densoproducts.com
Jegs.com
Summit Racing.com

I have had good luck buying legit Denso parts through RA- they do have the best price Ive found recently @ $48.79
RockAuto.com

Just bought coils from local dealer (Toyota of Cool Springs) that has 30-40% off of online orders. $88 each is steeper than the Denso’s above but I wanted to make sure I was getting OEM for this PM round. I was excited to find them as every other online dealer wanted $112-130. Plan to change them in the next few days.

I believe the NGK boot kit is now made in China. I bought one off Rock Auto to check. It looks nearly identical to the Denso kit I purchased 3 years ago. Interestingly, my gf’s mazda 3 ngk boot kit is made in Canada.

A4522F3C-6201-4499-B6DD-8EA957083CA9.jpeg

Just bought coils from local dealer (Toyota of Cool Springs) that has 30-40% off of online orders. $88 each is steeper than the Denso’s above but I wanted to make sure I was getting OEM for this PM round. I was excited to find them as every other online dealer wanted $112-130. Plan to change them in the next few days.

Was just looking at coils and found Denso main website links to distibutors of their products such as advanced auto parts, autozne and denso online store. You are guaranteed to get legit coils this way and cheaper compared to going through toyota, and I would never trust amazon/ebay.

$57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom