When to replace Ignition coils. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On a side note: Denso P/N 671-8184 provides the ignition coil boot set. These are now made in China and not Japan.
1575596439805.png

@2001LC I bought them off amazon. At the time no local parts place had them in stock.
I heard Denso had a plant in China. I have bought a lot of bootleg Denso stuff. But none said made in China, but was and was junk.

@2001LC I bought them off amazon. At the time no local parts place had them in stock.
I heard Denso had a plant in China. I have bought a lot of bootleg Denso stuff. But none said made in China, but was and was junk.
the user pics of the product packaging on the amazon ad say made in china now.
Amazon product ASIN B00FRMAL8M
summit has them for $40

@AlpineAccess do you have a part number for those NGK boots?

@bamabrock that was my review on amazon!

Per Denso, it looks like they have manufacturing plants all over now: Global Network | About Us | DENSO Global Website

Interestingly, they have a factory in China listed as the ignition coil manufacturer WUXI DENSO AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS CO., LTD.

But it has been about 2 years since I rebooted and no issues so far.

Try this

Brand:NGK
Part Number:59009
UPC:087295590096

I didn't see any country of origin information on it until I received them in boxes.

I put mine on without any issues. Quality looks good. I bought mine through advance auto because they always have a discount code going online and I had some speed perks points to use. About $20 to do 6 as I have two newer coil packs.

Adding to the data...

MY: 2000
Miles: 239k
Coils: Original as far as I can tell. Toyota part numbers on them
Plugs: Denso Iridium SK2011. ~50k on them.
Symptoms: None really. "D" vibration. PM prior to Alaska trip this winter.

Replaced with Denso coils as seen earlier in the thread and Denso Iridium TT spark plugs.

All 8 of my coil packs were cracked. Spark plugs all looked the same - dark/burnt looking threads and point, smelled of gas, except one had a brown ring on the white shaft. All had dried out dielectric grease on the plugs/coil pack insides.

Brief test drive: "D" vibration seems to have disappeared. I guess it has more spunk... slightly quicker response. Will see about any MPG changes.

IMG_7357.jpg
IMG_7358.jpg

I have checked mine one as a slight crack on it, but no codes and car runs fine so in time I guess will go out.

Adding to the data...

MY: 2000
Miles: 239k
Coils: Original as far as I can tell. Toyota part numbers on them
Plugs: Denso Iridium SK2011. ~50k on them.
Symptoms: None really. "D" vibration. PM prior to Alaska trip this winter.

Replaced with Denso coils as seen earlier in the thread and Denso Iridium TT spark plugs.

All 8 of my coil packs were cracked. Spark plugs all looked the same - dark/burnt looking threads and point, smelled of gas, except one had a brown ring on the white shaft. All had dried out dielectric grease on the plugs/coil pack insides.

Brief test drive: "D" vibration seems to have disappeared. I guess it has more spunk... slightly quicker response. Will see about any MPG changes.

View attachment 2152287View attachment 2152288

Does the car feel more responsive on take off or general like entering freeways or from lights etc.

Does the car feel more responsive on take off or general like entering freeways or from lights etc.

I guess, but the "noticeable" difference from the first drive is all gone now. feels as responsive as a 7,000lb truck would on 34s.

MSD’s quality was horrible 15ish years ago. I don’t know if that’s still the case but I wouldn’t be the guinea pig.

I love threads like this, and I am reading my way though it (currently on page 8). I don't understand why I wouldn't just replace all eight coil packs at once with new Denso/ OEM ones?

It's my personal experience that if the local auto parts shop and/or dealership sells one coil for $100 or $150... then odds are I can buy all 8 new, OEM online for about less than the cost of just one locally...

If I can get 8 new Denso coil packs in New Toyota branded packaging for about $100 - $125 with free shipping, then it doesn't really make sense to me to buy them individually?
Toyota part number: 90919-02230

So I am 100% in the buy all 8 and replace them as a set.

My truck has about 260k miles on it, and I am ordering and replacing the coil packs now as preventive maintenance as I try to improve my MPGs.

I love threads like this, and I am reading my way though it (currently on page 8). I don't understand why I wouldn't just replace all eight coil packs at once with new Denso/ OEM ones?

It's my personal experience that if the local auto parts shop and/or dealership sells one coil for $100 or $150... then odds are I can buy all 8 new, OEM online for about less than the cost of just one locally...

If I can get 8 new Denso coil packs in New Toyota branded packaging for about $100 - $125 with free shipping, then it doesn't really make sense to me to buy them individually?
Toyota part number: 90919-02230

So I am 100% in the buy all 8 and replace them as a set.

My truck has about 260k miles on it, and I am ordering and replacing the coil packs now as preventive maintenance as I try to improve my MPGs.

Did I misunderstand your comment? Are you trying to say that you are able to source all eight (8) in a package for $100-125?

Yes, you can buy them for less that $125 individually through the dealership, but if you go through a few of the local parts dealers or a few that have been a huge help here on mud... (@cDan) or others... they can probably help get you better pricing.

I am a huge proponent of replace all at the same time, but $800 or more on factory replacements is a tough pill to swallow for some people.

Also, electrical components can be unpredictable. Some can last forever, while others could have shortened lifespan due to unknown reasons. Alot of guys use this as sound reasoning for replacing them as they go out.

I'm speaking to all of this from the fact that I just replaced one. I used a Denso unit to troubleshoot it and ordered a factory Toyota replacement to put in its place. I'll keep the Denso unit on hand to help troubleshoot any future misfire issues that come up.

Did I misunderstand your comment? Are you trying to say that you are able to source all eight (8) in a package for $100-125?

Yes, you can buy them for less that $125 individually through the dealership, but if you go through a few of the local parts dealers or a few that have been a huge help here on mud... (@cDan) or others... they can probably help get you better pricing.

I am a huge proponent of replace all at the same time, but $800 or more on factory replacements is a tough pill to swallow for some people.

Also, electrical components can be unpredictable. Some can last forever, while others could have shortened lifespan due to unknown reasons. Alot of guys use this as sound reasoning for replacing them as they go out.

I'm speaking to all of this from the fact that I just replaced one. I used a Denso unit to troubleshoot it and ordered a factory Toyota replacement to put in its place. I'll keep the Denso unit on hand to help troubleshoot any future misfire issues that come up.

That is correct. Online vendors often are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of local retailers. there are a dozen retailers on eBay selling a set of 8x Denso/ OEM Toyota coils for about $125.

That is correct. Online vendors often are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of local retailers. there are a dozen retailers on eBay selling a set of 8x Denso/ OEM Toyota coils for about $125.

I'd be suspicious of anything too cheap, especially on ebay. There are alot of cheap knockoffs that try to use factory branding. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Isn't that why most people spend the extra money on a Toyota or a Lexus? They know they are spending more on a quality product.

Good luck with the cheap bulk package. I really hope it works out for you.

Thank you.
If it arrives in sealed, labeled Toyota packaging, and is stamped and with the correct Denso numbers, it begins to become fairly difficult to discern if it is anything other than OEM.

Fact of the matter is that more $$ does NOT make something better, and they call the Dealership the "Stealership" for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom