What suspension should I go with on my 80 series FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don’t really have the money for anything too expensive, but something nice and off-road geared would be perfect. I’m just not sure what the best brands or types of suspension are.

I don’t really have the money for anything too expensive, but something nice and off-road geared would be perfect. I’m just not sure what the best brands or types of suspension are.
need alot more info to get advice: do you have extra weight? what size tire are you running/ planning to run? what's important to you? comfort, flex, handing on mountain roads?

I'm in Laramie. Have 4 years on OME 3" springs and Nitro shocks, with 500#+loadout.
PM for discussion.

need alot more info to get advice: do you have extra weight? what size tire are you running/ planning to run? what's important to you? comfort, flex, handing on mountain roads?
I’m running 33s (But if I lifted it I would like to run 35s), and the weight is about 5000 pounds. I’m not sure what my preference is in terms of feel but it needs to be nice on and off-road. So it can’t be too off-road oriented. I have to daily it but I’m ready to go pretty far with a lift and tires.

That’s actually a similar setup to what I was thinking. Great shocks too.
Well I've accepted that - with experience and as they are - they can ride like a "Cadi" off-road.
But it's the on-road performance to which many object. And I get that.
But for the money and for largely off-road use (and not excluding other vendor's competing offerings) they are worth it at least to start with.
Which is to say, that I've not found a compelling reason to upgrade to multi-stage springs or valved shocks (not that those don't provide a respectable difference, just saying that for the money to do so an' all...compared an' such...).

Last edited:
I’m running 33s (But if I lifted it I would like to run 35s), and the weight is about 5000 pounds. I’m not sure what my preference is in terms of feel but it needs to be nice on and off-road. So it can’t be too off-road oriented. I have to daily it but I’m ready to go pretty far with a lift and tires.
So here is the dig.
ON and OFF road performance is a give and take.
You cannot have both w/o what I would consider massive expense.
It's the classic super car argument - "A Ferrari you can use everyday!"
ALL things considered, no, not really.
IMO, the baseline, OEM 80series product is as close as you can get to both worlds.
When you go outside the factory parameters (as with any vehicle) you are leaning into one or the other - On or Off road performance - with one being compromised to increase the capability of the other.
You have to decide which you want to increase, and which you are willing to live w/less thereof.
At that point, yes, cost can try to close the gap.
But really, for all intents and purposes it is what you want most from the vehicle which should win out, side effects (compromises) be damned.

Last edited:
I'm in Laramie. Have 4 years on OME 3" springs and Nitro shocks, with 500#+loadout.
PM for discussion.
Similar setup here
OME 850 fronts and 863 rears with nitrocharger shocks & CCorection bushes.
Firm but controlled ride when unladen but once loaded up its so plush yet still controlled
Off road no problems whatsoever
Been that way for a very long time, installed 2000 and only recently changed out the lower bushes on the rear shocks so needless to say very happy with the product.

PM for discussion.
Not to hijack or criticize, but this comment always irked me.

If you have something to add to a discussion, post it publicly.

Taking it to PM doesn’t allow for everyone to learn or gain any insight on the topic.

My personal experience lands me on the Slinky suspension being the best bolt on option for the 80. Performance on and offroad is the best I've experienced in any 80. Sadly, I'm not aware of any way to get these parts in the US at the moment unless you find someone selling a used kit.

That being said, if I were shopping for myself to outfit a typical off-road oriented 80 that still gets street driven my first choice on the high performance bolt on kits would be a Dobinson 4" tapered dual rate coil and Dobinson MRR 3-way adjustable shock along with other supporting parts like pandhards, swaybar brackets, brake lines etc.

In the mid range I would look at OME BP51 shocks with Dobinson coils listed above and other supporting parts.

On the more budget end of the scale I'd look at Dobinson coils and their standard yellow shocks to suit a 4" lift, or a complete OME kit with J coils, but I'd possibly consider Icon 2.0 shocks over the OME Nitrocharger shocks. The Nitrocharger shocks are on the firm side on the road but feel better in the dirt, they are just a bit too short to allow full suspension flex.

That's just my personal view and others have shared good suggestions also, but at the very least it's a good idea to read through the COMPILED suspension thread and find what works for your truck and use case.

I’m not sure this helps, but I found ‘The Suspension Thread’ difficult to work from, mainly because my limitation is as boring as the height of the garage door… Perhaps I didn’t read things right, but it seemed to me that many folks reported springs advertised as providing 2.5” of lift ending up yielding over 4” because they were mounted on a lightweight rig. In the end, a used set of front J springs (together with a set of still-undetermined rears) yielded 2”. Good enough to clear 315/75-16 MTs for the most part, and those + lockers get that truck to most places where it has any business to be. And I’d rather have the tires rub the fenders every once in a while than deal with what comes with a 4” lift.

I went with the 2.5” Dobinsons VT coils (used) and 4” IMS shocks. Total lift is roughly 3.5” and of course this height lead to a Landtank DC drive shaft and 4” DVS control arms, not cheap at the end of the day. But if I had to do it again I would, drivability is solid and it’s been a blast off-road on 315’s. Gears and 37’s if I want to deeper, but I’m pretty good where I’m at.

IMG_2364.jpeg

Not to hijack or criticize, but this comment always irked me.

If you have something to add to a discussion, post it publicly.

Taking it to PM doesn’t allow for everyone to learn or gain any insight on the topic.
It is a topic covered heavily throughout the forum.
I added all that was needed; and simply offered to discuss with OP anything specific, in the interest of expediency and w/o public rehash.

Please share what you have to offer that isn't already articulated in numerous other threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom