What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't really done anything to my 40 in a while, but my 4 year old thought it could use some improvement...

IMG_8433a.jpg

Are your front springs backwards or are mine? Unless both ends have the outside loop? Or does it matter?

Stock, the longer end goes forward. Some flip the springs end for end to extend the wheelbase, but this involves other mods also (driveshaft(s), shocks, brake line(s)).

Tub - not ok at all ...
Me - think I got the worst of it , may have blown a disk in the lower back , again or just blew the remains of several others out - still can't flex it much at all . Time will tell I guess . Sure makes deciding how to fix the 40 a lot harder if I can't do the work ..
Sarge

Tub - not ok at all ...
Me - think I got the worst of it , may have blown a disk in the lower back , again or just blew the remains of several others out - still can't flex it much at all . Time will tell I guess . Sure makes deciding how to fix the 40 a lot harder if I can't do the work ..
Sarge

Sorry Sarge!! I misunderstood... hope your back isn't as bad as it feels...

Well I just went a little deeper Into the rabbit hole. While I have the transmission and transfer case out for replacement or rebulid I need to do the rear main seal.then I hear I should remove the Bell housing to make sure the two plugs are not leaking. So I did it I have the engine supported between two Jack stands and a piece of wood.it is also recommend that I change the oil pan gasket once I get the Bell housing back on. I am being a little apprehensive on that one but I don't have to decide at this moment.

The bell housing all cleaned up

... it is also recommend that I change the oil pan gasket once I get the Bell housing back on. I am being a little apprehensive on that one but I don't have to decide at this moment.

It is way easier to replace the rear main seal with the oil pan off - remove the rearmost main bearing cap, and the old seal comes right off with no prying and the new one goes on straight without having to tap/pound it in.

Changing the oil pan gasket is not difficult, just take your time and do it right (straighten and clean the flange/mounting surface, and torque it to spec). Use only the OEM one-piece cork gasket.

Tried on some 16" gen 2 Tacoma wheels for fun.

IMG_20160514_163041337_HDR.jpg

Yea, I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I was looking at the before pics last night and I've been working on this so long that I forgot how bad it was before I started. Felt so good about the results I grabbed a beer out of the frig to celebrate.
I think I got this picture posting thing now.

20140427_153901.jpg

20140423_213044.jpg

20140423_213111.jpg

20160301_174101.jpg

20160514_221850.jpg

Hey, yáll ! Been posting more in the clubhouse than regular forums.... But after we pulled this out last weekend :

image.jpeg

Replaced the Rear Main Seal, Clutch, Pressure Plate, a wore-slap-out Throw Out Bearing, and E-Brake seal :

image.jpeg

One set of motor mounts, the Clutch Slave Cylinder, and then refilled fluids.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And for good measure, I threw on the OME Steering Stabilizer that has been taking up space in the lower drawer of my shop cart.

image.jpeg

Finished the weekend with a trip to the new house lot...

image.jpeg

Got my fuel tank degreased, de-rustified and etched. Inspired by @NKC I came up with a hillbilly tank dryer.:hillbilly: I'll git'r sealed up tomorrow.

I also think I lucked out and got a good candidate for Mark's Pertronix conversion.

Got up the nerve to pull apart a couple old working Kyosan-Denki FP's. Thanks to @Coolerman for the advice. One was dirty as all heck inside, the one stamped TEQ was clean as a whistle.
image.jpeg

Today, I drove 44, dirty with two dogs worth of hair inside, to my ophthalmologist appointment.

As I was leaving the appointment, a young lady flagged me down.

She said, "this is a LandCruiser, right?".

I replied, "Yes and it's considerably older than you are". She was twenty-something.

She pointed to a silver looking FJ Cruiser and said, "I always wanted an FJ40, but have an FJ Cruiser... It's nice, but it's not real".

I was astounded that she knew what an FJ40 was... and that she recognized her ride's failings.

She then asked if it was ok for her to snap a picture.

I said, "You bet and smiled all the way home".

I guess I need to drive around town more often... 44 doesn't get noticed much in the bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom