What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced front rotors and pads. Brake fluid flush. Replaced 4 accumlators and went through 4 liters of AHC fluid. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have the correct hose size to bleed the accumlators. I got lazy and didn't want to go pick up the tubing and decided to use a larger one in the garage. Made a freaking mess otherwise it wouldn't have been so bad of a job. They came off and went in with ease 2011 with 190k miles. Next up spark plugs.

Took a buddy snow wheelin for the first time near Sisters, OR this weekend. I was surprise the conditions were as good as they were for playing in the snow. We got lots of practice shoveling and using the kinetic snatch strap and maxtrax. The dog had a blast too. He's older so he has to take breaks sometimes.

On the way back we stopped to help a 90 y/o Korea vet in a Class C who got stuck. He was heavy so we did a tandem pull since we didn't have a winch.

One really random occurrence: while we'd be driving in the snow for a bit, using 4-Lo and higher RPMs, I started to smell something that I thought was tire rubber. Then I saw smoke coming from under the hood. When I opened it, I saw it was coming from the firewall, on the passenger side of the block, just inboard from the inlet/outlet heater hoses. It was glowing hot and the insulation was smoking a bit. It was close enough to the heater hoses so I thought that may have something to do with it so I let it cool off then ran with no heat and no rear heat the rest of the trip with no issues. I just had the hose assemblies replaced and coolant flushed in November last year. My OBD scanner showed no issues and normal temps. Is there a computer or wiring or something that has a propensity to get too hot around that area? Have the coolant pipes been known to do that?
I was thinking of making a new thread but thought I'd ask here and SQOD first.

snow01.jpg
snow04.jpg
snow02.jpg

snow06.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 4.49.40 PM.jpeg

I finally have time to experiment with a tundra front end / body lift / 37s. The 37x12.5x17 maxxis razr is absolutely massive compared to my 35x12.5x17 toyo MT, but a hair narrower. I decided to stick to an E-load tire for it's sidewall resilience. For reference, I attached a picture of a 315/70/17 mickey thompson vs a 35x12.5x17 toyo MT. If you're looking to jump to 35s, theres a significant price difference between a 315/70/17 vs a 35x12.5x17 with minimal difference in height!

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 4.51.25 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 4.54.35 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 5.00.48 PM.jpeg

View attachment 3278803

I finally have time to experiment with a tundra front end / body lift / 37s. The 37x12.5x17 maxxis razr is absolutely massive compared to my 35x12.5x17 toyo MT, but a hair narrower. I decided to stick to an E-load tire for it's sidewall resilience. For reference, I attached a picture of a 315/70/17 mickey thompson vs a 35x12.5x17 toyo MT. If you're looking to jump to 35s, theres a significant price difference between a 315/70/17 vs a 35x12.5x17 with minimal difference in height!

View attachment 3278804

View attachment 3278806

View attachment 3278807
You selling your old components?

New tires. Mickey Thomson Baja Boss AT in 285/65R18. Pictures don't do them justice, including the side-biters which have much thicker rubber than it looks like in photos.

They look really good! I'm considering them myself. You've had em a month. How are they daily driving and what PSI are you running?

They look really good! I'm considering them myself. You've had em a month. How are they daily driving and what PSI are you running?
I agree with other reviews - I'm surprised how they're relatively quiet. They're quieter than my previous tires (GY Wrangler UltraTerrain AT of same size & LT).

42 is the proper inflation, but I'm running at 40 psi. They'll likely work their way up to 42 psi over the coming weeks as the weather warms up, and then I'll probably drop them back to 40. My old tires (2-ply), right at 42 psi and even a fraction over on hot days seemed to pass a threshold where they became significantly too reactive to small bumps (so I tried to keep them around 41). Curious to see if the same is true for the Mickey's (3-ply) as the psi increases. But at this point, I haven't noticed any negatives at all. As a general observation, I don't think they feel any harsher than the old tires, which is a bit of a surprise considering the 3-ply structure should have made them harsher. I wonder if their increased weight actually helps with that.

They feel very planted. And they still have that new tire smell 😌

I'll have more insights and feedback after a lengthy trip to Ouray and Moab this summer.

Didn't even know where to post this but anyone need a Prada Camper? Lol. Never seen this setup...ever before.

Screenshot_20230322_204925_Facebook.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom