What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slapped on some new shoes....Cooper Discoverer ATP in 285/75/16.

How do you like those? Did you run them off a relay?

I hate the factory Corolla horn. It's sort of like hearing/seeing Barry Bonds say something for the first time

I followed a how to video on youtube and ran a relay (they came with one). You have to make your wires to run, but at that gauge, it's easy. They are loud! So much better than the stock. Cheaper than the LX470 horns too. I'm happy with it.

Replaced my rear pads (and rotors) as well as a wheel stud. Recommendation: Don't wait this long.

pads.jpg

Still have more to do, but here it is as of now, just back from installer, OME 2.5 lift, SPC Upper contol arms, Slee diff drop, ARB Safari Bumper, ARB fog lights, Hella 4000i driving lamps, 9.5xp-s winch, Safari snorkel and led light on back
Toyfronts_zps94091070.jpg

Toylefts_zps32d831c5.jpg

toyrtfts_zps4c299102.jpg

Nice build you've got yourself there! Let us know how you like the Hella 4000i's. I have the 4000 halogens and they're pretty underwhelming. They look cool, but honestly aren't a lot better than the OEM high beams. I'm not ready to spunk $12-1400 on the ARB intensitys, so looking for something almost as good at a bit lower price!

I only tried them om my street last night, but they are way way brighter than the OEM high beams, When I talked to Hella they said the Xenon were the brightest, we will see when I get to try them out in some real darkness

Finished relocating the back up camera to the spare tire on rear bumper. Thanks to @paflytyer for the great write up on installation. I did deviate some and built a new wiring harness rather than cutting/splicing into the existing wiring harness. For anyone else that's OCD about cutting an OEM wiring harness, the wire housing part numbers (for my 2006) for the connections at the camera and in the driver side rear quarter panel are 90980-12381 and 90980-11950 (thanks to @cruiserdan for the help identifying the correct wire housings).

Glad to have this done. Was tired of looking at the back of the spare tire.

image.jpg

Took the rig out for a quick overnighter and a mild trail. Hot day in the desert was quite a pleasure in the leather clad climate controlled Lexus. Had a great time sucking up bumps at high speed (although the truck mysteriously "beeped" at me after one harder hit).

Arch.jpg

I'm still learning to wheel this beast, and the front end behaves differently than my 80's. Poser pic below shows the extent of front end flex I could get. I'm thinking a quick front end anti-sway disconnect would be nice. Project for the future.

front flex.jpg
pose.jpg

We did encounter one obstacle with a combination of holes and body-snatching rocks that took some care and a little trail work to get through unscathed. I still have to learn to trust the ATRAC on this kind of thing--I kept finding myself double footing the brake and accelerator, which killed the traction control.

lexus.jpg

Last but not least, I got a great deal of satisfaction hitting power folding side mirror button when creeping into a narrow dugway under the freeway. Simple pleasures.

tight fit.jpg

Last edited:
I ripped off my Ironman bumper, winch cradle and my winch to fix a bent winch cradle, stripped captured nut in frame and to reinforce the mounting interface between the winch cradle and the frame. I'm not too happy with the normal IronMan setup. We had to cut the frame horns off of the front of the frame (Slee bumper install style) so we could weld an additional 14mm x 1.5 nut (Same theads as 100 series lugnuts. We actually used an extra oem lugnut and machined both ends off of the lugnut.) on top of the stripped out frame captured nut. We also put a sleeve inside the frame for the front mounting bolt, so that the front most of the three bolts was actually doing something. Lastly, we tossed the u shaped spacers that fill the gap between the winch cradle and the bottom of the frame with 1" x 2" aluminum bar stock drilled for the three mounting holes. When it was all put back together I installed my new 30mm TJM synthetic winch line and a Slee aluminum hawse fairlead.

What is everybody with either a ARB or Ironman combo bar doing about the fact that the fairlead is recessed to far behind the bumper? On a side pull, the line will rub against the bumper edge due to the fact that the fairlead pocket is recessed and designed for a roller fairlead.

Finished installing hot water exchanger for shower unit.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405295304.445754.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405295408.555771.jpg

I put some solenoids in so I can chose whether I get heated water or just recycled/ pressured water.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405295668.177118.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405295690.595040.jpg

And diff lock time! Managed to borrow a mates hoist for the weekend, so got stuck in to them

...via IH8MUD app

A few pics. The first is the bent winch cradle. The second is the drivers side post reinforcement and repair.

WP_20140712_008.jpg
WP_20140712_011.jpg
WP_20140712_004.jpg
WP_20140712_015.jpg

Drove it to a 4WD gathering and got it dirty in the mud.
It hurts to see others mis0ue their car and race around the track, hitting every holes with speed. There were broken diffs, CVs an side steps.
If you did it slowly and controlled, you managed without any damage.

Installed techstream software. Disabled auto tilt/telescoping wheel, disabled DRL and programmed a couple of keys.

found a bad (brand new autozone) coil pack that had not thrown a code, its been acting up for 3 months and just discovered which coil pack it was.

Hose clamped the cat heat shields, removed the running boards and tracked down some wiring issues. Also "fixed" my front bumper with some zip ties. It'll do until I decide which route to take on the front.

found a bad (brand new autozone) coil pack that had not thrown a code, its been acting up for 3 months and just discovered which coil pack it was.
How long did you run that coil pack? I had to put an AZ unit in my 100 about 2 years ago (went out on me on a Sunday) and its been in the back of my mind for a while. Think i might buy a new OEM and keep the Auto Zone pack for a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom