What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are one that I feel bad for. Not much you can do to update that setup.
PXL_20230213_233221587.jpg

I am so jealous of this.
I really need to address this with my '01 LC, especially now that it's my DD. I've been putting this off since I bought it because I don't have any experience with vehicle audio stuff.

How difficult was install? Did you retain or bypass the factory amp?

I am so jealous of this.

I haven't tackled my 98 yet, but this write up has been incredibly helpful in planning Stereo Wiring: Land Cruiser / LX 470 (1998-02) - https://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/05/land-cruiser-lx-470-stereo-wiring/

Physically the radio install is easy. You fish a GPS antenna wire behind the dash, move the brackets from the factory radio to the aftermarket radio and bolt it in. Some minor filing might be necessary on the corners of the radio opening on the bezel to get it to fit.

I bypassed the amp 7 years ago when I installed my first aftermarket radio, before amp bypass kits were available. I don't think it was a difficult task by any means, but I am also a wiring geek and enjoy looking at the EWD's :) I ran 8 new wires from behind the radio to the amp area under the seat (2 wires per speaker) and soldered them to the wires feeding the door speakers. I remember soldering power and grounds together under the seat as well. You will loose the factory sub. I am no audiophile, but bypassing the amp made a huuuuuge improvement in sound quality even utilizing the well used factory speakers in the doors. Don't worry, you won't miss the crappy factory sub.

My big debate now is a nice single din that will integrate and look "natural" or a double din car play head unit. All I really care about is being able to stream music via Bluetooth and USB. Car play is nice, but in my experience relatively glitchy and not a must have for me. I wasn't super impressed with it in the '21 Tacoma and the '20 F-150 I'd driven for work the past few years. A backup camera would be nice though.

On a side note, did you buy an adapter harness or direct wire it from the head unit?

My big debate now is a nice single din that will integrate and look "natural" or a double din car play head unit. All I really care about is being able to stream music via Bluetooth and USB. Car play is nice, but in my experience relatively glitchy and not a must have for me. I wasn't super impressed with it in the '21 Tacoma and the '20 F-150 I'd driven for work the past few years. A backup camera would be nice though.

On a side note, did you buy an adapter harness or direct wire it from the head unit?
If you have a non-nav LX470 you pretty much have to make your own harness unless you want to cut off the factory harness connector.

Y'all know about how crappy our oem keys are, and know how awesome the yotamd kit is. So after 4 years I got a chip in my shell that made the blade wiggle. I hit him up on Instagram at 9 at night (when my ADHD ass remembered to, also why I got orange because I lose everything) and 20 minutes later I had a $0 invoice for the replacement parts. Got them today... And while it's not my 100 directly, this will have to do while I wait for my bumper to be built.

This is what 4.5 years of use, and mind blowing customer service looks like.
PXL_20230215_004602902.jpg

If you have a non-nav LX470 you pretty much have to make your own harness unless you want to cut off the factory harness connector.

Mine is a non-nav LC so I don't think I have the same issues as the LX guys. I *think* Crutchfield sells an adapter made by Metra. Just didn't know if the adapter was worth the extra cost. The more I research the topic it doesn't seem that difficult to just make your own.

Mine is a non-nav LC so I don't think I have the same issues as the LX guys. I *think* Crutchfield sells an adapter made by Metra. Just didn't know if the adapter was worth the extra cost. The more I research the topic it doesn't seem that difficult to just make your own.
I used some Metra adapter, but all I am using it for is the 12v+, ignition and ground. The power antenna trigger also goes through the adapter but I don't have it hooked up since I have a manual antenna due to snorkel interference. I did add a generic 8 pin connector for the speaker wires.

If you can get it they are pretty cheap and make it just a little bit easier.

If you have factory navigation, you’re stuck with it, and the factory stereo… But if you delete the factory nav, (which is quite honestly, far outdated and a dinosaur compared to the latest tech available, ) then the sky is the limit for stereo building possibilities.

Choose your poison…

I did a double din from crutchfield along with front speakers and they included the amp bypass harness with it. I paid $24 for them to connect all the wires specifically for my 01. Install was super easy and I'm not an audio/electrical guy whatsoever, so it was worth it to me. CarPlay wasn't a must but it is quite nice and I haven't had any serious issues with it other than it cutting out once in a blue moon.
unnamed.jpg

It's been a few years but I think I remember that my 2001 LX non-nav Mark Levinson had a normal 20 pin harness. I used a Axxess TYTO-01 Wiring Interface for a while until I did a Mark Levinson amp bypass.

More of a What Did I (You) Pay For week…

Local shop did radiator flush with new hoses, front/rear diff fluid changes, power steering flush, transmission flush, repacked front wheel bearings and new seals, and the best thing…took off that rusting damage multiplier on the front!

This weekend is shampoo the interior carpet/figure out a floor liner for the dog (removed the 2/3 middle row seat so she could help drive).

Hopefully next weekend get to the auto hobby shop on base and do some undercoating/rust prevention.

Still need to flush brake fluid.

FC10D371-2423-4BE5-895D-CA5FAAC2DCFC.jpeg

B68F7297-6101-4A0A-B97A-C1B23AB0291A.jpeg

More of a What Did I (You) Pay For week…

Local shop did radiator flush with new hoses, front/rear diff fluid changes, power steering flush, transmission flush, repacked front wheel bearings and new seals, and the best thing…took off that rusting damage multiplier on the front!

This weekend is shampoo the interior carpet/figure out a floor liner for the dog (removed the 2/3 middle row seat so she could help drive).

Hopefully next weekend get to the auto hobby shop on base and do some undercoating/rust prevention.

Still need to flush brake fluid.

View attachment 3251058

View attachment 3251059
Do not use rubberized undercoating. I have been using the PB Blaster Shield this year and it has held great in the salty roads of MA. Took me 4 bottles to complete the car.

Do not use rubberized undercoating. I have been using the PB Blaster Shield this year and it has held great in the salty roads of MA. Took me 4 bottles to complete the car.
Thanks, I have been just doing some spot stuff with rustoleum rust converter. Plan is to switch over to the pb blaster or por. Unfortunately, she spent 19 years in Ohio before moving to Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom