LX470 Turn Signal/Marker Light Conversion Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in need of some help in converting my marker lights into turn signals. All of the correct parts have been aquired and the pig tails/plugs have been made with the following parts:

81510-60500 - Lamp Assembly - Required - 1
81520-60370 Lamp Assembly - Required - 1
90980-11020 Bulb Housing - Required - 2
82998-12440 Terminals - Required - 6
00234-1157N - Bulbs - Required - 2

I do not have the wiring diagram for the LC. On the LX there are two wires on the marker light and two for the turn signals. The pigtail that I made with the aquired parts has three wires coming off of the pigtail that goes into the new LC marker/signal bulb socket. Is one wire from each light a common and the others the positive/signal wire for the lights? Meaning I would connect two of the LXs wires to one wire on the pigtail and the other two to the remaining wires on the pigtail. This will convert or incorporate the LX470s turn signals (removed for bumper installation) into the side marker lights, utilizing the new dual element bulb. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

1416247660904-1313092979.jpg
The new pigtail/plug is shown. You can see it is numbered as well. In the background you can see tit plugged into the new LC bulb socket/assembly.

I did this conversion recently. Unfortunately I did not note the final wiring configuration.
If it makes you feel any better, I puzzled over it for a quite a while, tried to figure it out with a tester, and finally just tried every combination and permutation of connections until it worked correctly. Didn't even burn out any bulbs or fuses ;)

If you haven't figured it out by this evening, I'll see if I can peek under the hood and see how mine is wired.

That would be wicked man! I emailed Christo at Slee Offroad but I know he is busy running a company.

Be advised, on the dual filament bulb, one of the filaments is brighter than the other. I'd use the brighter one for the signal light. The other for the parking light.

I have attached the wiring from a 1998 LC and 1998 LX. Your new connector has 3 wires, one is ground, one is 12v feed for indicator, one is 12v feed for the marker.

On your existing connectors, the grounds are white-black. You only need to take the black/white from one (probably the marker since that is already in the right spot on the truck) and connect to center pin (pin 2) on the new connector.

Pin 3 (new connector) should be connected to the 12v feed from the indicator (should be Green/Black)
Pin 1 (new connector) to the 12v feed from the marker - Should be a green wire.

Attachments

• indicator.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 514
  • Lexus_Indicator.pdf
    108.9 KB · Views: 425
  • Lexus_Tail.pdf
    125.1 KB · Views: 260
  • LC-Tail.pdf
    83 KB · Views: 209
Perfect, thank you guys for the fast response! I am getting my new inspection sticker as we speak!
20141117_162011.jpg
Tried to get a quick picture. I sure had hell btw getting off my stock marker lens/assembly on the passenger side. Thanks again for the replies! I couldn't find any other threads after searching so hopefully this will come into use for other people doing the same.

Just a tip for others trying to do this. The stock turn signal harness is rather low and hard to get to. But it has a decent amount of slack if you cut the stock zip ties that bundle it together. So there was no need for extra wire.

Perfect, thank you guys for the fast response! I am getting my new inspection sticker as we speak!
View attachment 966729
Tried to get a quick picture. I sure had hell btw getting off my stock marker lens/assembly on the passenger side. Thanks again for the replies! I couldn't find any other threads after searching so hopefully this will come into use for other people doing the same.

I had a time pulling a corner lens assembly recently. I couldn't find my trim tool or anything thin enough to release the tab in between the headlamp & corner lens. Luckily it was already broken and I was able to peruse it out.

Very old thread, back from the grave....anyway, does anyone know if the schematics above are all we are given to do this conversion??

I have all the parts and my bumper is shipping in the next day or two...

I was hoping there would be some illustrated instructions.....hopefully I am not gonna be the guy hanging my hand out the window for turn signals....

Thanks!

Also interested...this is on my to-do

The instructions above are correct, and unfortunately there appears to be no better way forward than to "just do it". I didn't have any trouble performing the conversion (a poorly placed branch took out one corner light and the 2003+ LX lights are impossible to find). The clear Depo LC corners are also pretty attractive (to me) on my dark gray truck.

I talked to Slee today, confirming the above info. No instructions on the light setup other than schematic a few posts up.

They said it is pretty easy and when things are taken apart, it should be pretty apparent. I think they are overestimating my abilities.

When a highly-rated auto shop tells a financial advisor "it's easy," my mind imagines that it will be as easy as replacing a battery.....however, their definition of "easy" is likely much differant than my definition.

I am sure I will stumble through it, but if I can give back to the forum that has helped me so much, I am willing to take pics and make a DIY.

Can't promise it will be perfect, but at least others can learn from my mistakes.

Bumpers are paid for and are in the "packaging stage." Sounds like they will be en route by Monday, unfortunately next weekend I am out of town for some work stuff, so it might be a little while.

I am about the most impatient person imaginable, so as soon as I have time I will do it.

I will keep you posted.

If anyone has and tips or other input that would be great.

Ok all, I had plans to add pics but believe me, you will figure it out pretty easily without the pics.

So, as Slee stated, the new assembly will have 3 inputs (1, 2, and 3...they are labeled).

When you remove your existing corner marker lights they will have two wires. A wht/black and a green wire.

As slee stated below, take the white and black from your old marker light and connect it to slot 2 on the new harness.

Take the green wire that was from the old marker light and install that in slot 1.

Now, disconnect your old blinker lights, take the grn/Blk wire from that and install it in slot 3. You are done.

Also, I hate crimping, as I really suck at it. I carefully removed the old wires from the old connectors and snapped them into the new connector.

No splices, no aftermarket wiring, and look clean.

Thats it.

I have attached the wiring from a 1998 LC and 1998 LX. Your new connector has 3 wires, one is ground, one is 12v feed for indicator, one is 12v feed for the marker.

On your existing connectors, the grounds are white-black. You only need to take the black/white from one (probably the marker since that is already in the right spot on the truck) and connect to center pin (pin 2) on the new connector.

Pin 3 (new connector) should be connected to the 12v feed from the indicator (should be Green/Black)
Pin 1 (new connector) to the 12v feed from the marker - Should be a green wire.

Question:

Do I need the new housings for LX470? Seems like I could change the bulbs and wiring and use the existing housing. Please inform me. Thanks.

Can this be done by simply running the turn signal wires to the existing marker light wires? I don't really care about the marker lights...

The light bulb socket for the turns inalienable and marker lights have a different key shape for turning/twisting into the housing. The turn signal light doesn't fit nicely in the LX side marker housing. I bought the LC housings figuring worst case I have an extra set of lenses, thinking back to hunting down lenses for my 60s.

Honestly I'm not super satisfied losing the side marker lights. little rhings like jot having the visual indicator yhat im locked or unlocked from the front when using the keyless entry... Im legal now, but at somepoint, I will put dedicated turn signal lights in my aftermarket bumper and switch back to my original lens housings to restore the side markers.

@ylexot I don't quite understand your post. If you wired it up per this thread, the corner lamps have dual filaments. One for turn signal and one for marker/parking lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom