What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the TD rear panhard. Adjusted to be a hair longer than the factory one that I took off. Had to raise the driver side of the axle slightly to make the holes align. Tightened up the big nut and check nut with a pipe wrench.
Also, replaced the rear sway bar bushings. Managed to break off one of the mounting bolts :bang: Driver's side is held by only one bolt at the moment.
View attachment 2190599

View attachment 2190600

how does the longer panhard afect the ride? or too hard to tell bc of the broken bolt ?

how does the longer panhard afect the ride? or too hard to tell bc of the broken bolt ?
Thank God I only broke the sway bar mounting bolt. The panhard is mounted by 24mm bolts that are in great shape!

The longer panhard is supposed to re-center the axle under the frame on a lifted truck. Mine has slightly more than 2" lift and the axle was ever so slightly shifted to the passenger side. As far as I can tell there is no difference in ride quality. Admittedly, I had only a very short test drive after the install.

The bushings on the old bar are completely shot, so hopefully the new bar would be a little less harsh - but I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference.

Managed to break off one of the mounting bolts :bang: Driver's side is held by only one bolt at the moment.
I did the exact same thing a year or 2 ago. I broke off the drivers side bracket bolt on the outside of the frame rail. When I was getting my timing belt done by a local shop I asked if they’d just weld that side of the bracket to the frame since my truck was already there, but they refused (something about liability bs). Took it to my local welder and he had it done in 2min. Before I got it welded it would make an obnoxious clanging noise every bump I went over.

Waited too long on the rear brakes and destroyed a rotor! "while i was in there" also replaced the e-brakes and hardware,

View attachment 2163233
This was what my 2001 100 seeies lookes like when i went ro work on a few issues.

20191021_121132.jpg

20191021_121304.jpg

20191021_121326.jpg

Did the $.25 JB weld fix for the throttle body leak...

View attachment 2188399
reminds me of the first time I heard about JB Weld. 30 years ago I was working in a pizza shop and the big bowl attached to the mixer that mixes and kneads the dough had a hole in it and one of the guys patched it with JB Weld, I guess its edible?

Broke it...but not sure what yet. Feels like the right front cv Axle, but a quick inspection crawl in the snow showed no damage. Can still move under its own power without sounding like death. Bad thumping once rolling, though. Thankfully not my DD. Just in time, too; my garage in the works for the last 5 months was finished yesterday!

BBA1CFEF-EA3B-4874-89D3-66E21FDF426A.jpeg

Bora 1.25" spacers

20200124_164922.jpg
20200124_165205.jpg

Put on a front skid from ASFIR.

Didn't have time to fit the middle skid so modified the (damaged) original.

Oh, and made up this little hardwood spacer/support for the center of the front for a little more comfort if I put a jack under there:

While she was on the lift I changed the oil, replaced the transfer case oil with synthetic (after rinsing it with dino for 500 miles).

And rotated the tires -leading to an internally broken lug nut on the rear which will temporarily postpone upper ball joints...

Have been having some grinding noise coming out of the back - showed up out of nowhere earlier this week. Brakes right? Took it to the local Les Schwab to inspect and repair/replace whatever was wrong.. they said all the pads were great and just a little dirt. Huh. Drove it home, drove it across town to basketball, came back - just clearly something is wrong. Looked a little closer through the wheel and I noticed there’s metal shavings, grit everywhere. What?! So, jacked it up, pulled the wheel off, removed the caliper, and the rear brake pad is totally shot. Metal on metal. The front pad was okay. But, a quick trip to Autozone for some new pads and a few minutes of work - back in shape. I didnt want to do the work, I wanted to pay someone to do it - but now that I see how easy it is I guess I’m glad Les Schwab screwed their inspection?
6872AD34-5E69-4B86-9C96-40D5FF1CA58A.jpeg

Have been having some grinding noise coming out of the back - showed up out of nowhere earlier this week. Brakes right? Took it to the local Les Schwab to inspect and repair/replace whatever was wrong.. they said all the pads were great and just a little dirt. Huh. Drove it home, drove it across town to basketball, came back - just clearly something is wrong. Looked a little closer through the wheel and I noticed there’s metal shavings, grit everywhere. What?! So, jacked it up, pulled the wheel off, removed the caliper, and the rear brake pad is totally shot. Metal on metal. The front pad was okay. But, a quick trip to Autozone for some new pads and a few minutes of work - back in shape. I didnt want to do the work, I wanted to pay someone to do it - but now that I see how easy it is I guess I’m glad Les Schwab screwed their inspection?
View attachment 2192384
You might consider checking the piston travel on the caliper. I’m guessing your front side piston is hanging up (or frozen) and putting all the wear on the back side.

Changed a downstream oxygen sensor which finally cleared a P0420 code after several months. Finally passed DC emissions. The gasket and nuts were terribly corroded.

6F0A8123-0741-4D86-82C7-5C4EC1915E88.jpeg

EA03E97B-0CBA-467C-8B35-4A7095A218DB.jpeg

92F99294-57AF-4407-8E74-D3C1D2C7E675.jpeg

922E0AEA-5A67-4E41-A304-310BAC6091F6.jpeg

Finally replaced leaking power steering reservoir return line. Generic 3/8 power steering hose from advance auto parts. Cut it to size. The bottom was a pain in the ass with my skid plate in place.
And once again I made a small mess out of my driveway.
D2DC2521-EDB2-42B6-A8C9-4307F113E168.jpeg
AE3CC468-9D22-4B95-9AEE-850E35A1223B.jpeg
DDB4CF16-50EE-4B1D-A305-A00C2930891D.jpeg
I bought the other line as well but I’m gonna wait and see if this fixes leak.

Upgraded my starting battery to a H7 AGM with a group 34 spacer. 850 CCA and 140min RC is a nice jump from the stock 27F. Also installed the Slee hold down that came with a Group 31 tray I've never used. Could have reused the original hold down, but it was corroded.

1580095715892.png

Increased charging voltage with a diode:
1580095919645.png

Then spent a lot of time on roads currently in 'Defrost' mode:
1580096069478.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom