What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What adhesive did you use to glue it to the lever?

For now it's some "power grab" stuff I had in my caulk gun already. However, I know that stuff to be kind of crappy. I specifically passed over some really good super glues and epoxies in my tool box because I'd rather this have the ability to come off without a ton of effort in the future.

After working the door , I got a little more carried away with the wet sanding and the deep scratch removal. Here's another one I cleaned up. About 95% gone, I'll get it about 99% of the way when I finish my big detail. I did another on the front fender. Some of these scratches ended up into the primer, so I'm sitting on a Dr Colorchip system to do all of that at once.

Gotta keep in mind, it's a trail truck. These scratches were put there by nature, while I was in the process of conquering the crap out of it.

1463099279067946028.jpg

-5823670844749732761.jpg

Last edited:
What fog lights are those fog lights?

But you should check these out as well

Instead of retrofitting a factory fridge into the center console (and spending actual beer tokens), I snaffled some excess self adhesive thermal insulation from work to line it with instead. Should keep gas station drinks cool for longer, especially if I throw a chilly pad in.

Finished the starter install and didn't even get a check engine light when I was done!

1575584710217.png

*pro tip* read the FSM before setting the manifold back on. Per the FSM, these gaskets should have the white painted marks facing up :hillbilly: I did correct the problem even though I did't want to remove the intake again.
1575584734283.png

Last edited:
Finished the starter install and didn't even get a check engine light when I was done!

View attachment 2149767

*pro tip* read the FSM before setting the manifold back on. Per the FSM, these gaskets should have the white painted marks facing up :hillbilly: I did correct the problem even though I did't want to remove the intake again.
View attachment 2149770
How long did it take you?

How long did it take you?
5.5 total hours at a leisurely pace. Would have only been 4.5 hours if I hadn't goofed on the intake manifold gaskets and didn't have to repair missing insulation on the solenoid wire (previous starter replacement mechanic's doing). I could probably do it in 3 hours next time.

Tools I used are below. I would now be comfortable tackling this job in a parking lot (as if I was on a trip).
1575586645536.png

Last edited:

View attachment 2149767

View attachment 2149770
I wonder if the random repair shop that did my starter installed the intake gaskets wrong. I do have a P0171 DTC that I can't figure out.

I wonder if the random repair shop that did my starter installed the intake gaskets wrong. I do have a P0171 DTC that I can't figure out.
The one piece non-Toyota gaskets that were on mine were nothing like the 3 piece Toyota gaskets I installed. Anything is possible when trying to figure out a ham-fisted mechanics work.

I also tried my luck at a little PDR and some testing of my new MF cutting pads and 3D One polish.

The dents were pretty bad, pretty deep. I'd been told by 3-4 PDR pros that it was just too much for them to try out, so I figured I'd give it a shot for the $60 the tool kit cost me. I was just looking for 'better', definitely didn't expect 'perfect'.

Beginning. Notice the big deep scratches in the dents where the door rubbed a tree root about 5' off the ground:

View attachment 2148976
View attachment 2148977

So I tried a little bit of everything the kit came with. I had a slide hammer, a little gun looking thing, and a metal 3-footed whatchamacall it. I've never done any kind of dent removal before, so this was completely new. If anyone here is an expert and has any tips, I'm all ears. For now, I'd say it was worth the $60 I paid and the ~30 minutes spent.

I also wet sanded the scratches and buffed. the MF pads on my PC weren't cutting it (pun intended) so I switched to my old Makita with a foam cutting pad and that made short work. Followed up with the MF pad on the PC, 3D One polish, and it came out really well. This is all just preliminary work before a full weekend worth of buffing and paint correcting. At least now I have an idea of how the paint reacts to various tools and products.

View attachment 2148983
View attachment 2148984
View attachment 2148985
What PDR kit did you use, and where did you get it? I think I'm going to give this a shot.

Looking to replace the head unit on my 2001 LC w/ the integrated climate controls. The head unit has basically all the controls for radio, A/C, Navigation, etc. What's a good replacement that won't break the bank? Have zero skills installing this type of equipment so I will have to get an "expert" to install it.
As always, thank you so much for your help!!

Look up the Pre-2003 Nav Delete thread in the 100 series FAQ section, I believe. It has some great feedback.
You will need to find a AC manual control bezel or maybe a LX digital control bezel without nav and the wiring pigtails. Make sure to look on your current dash for the "Rear Heat" button or the "Rear Hi/Lo" button and get the bezel controller that has that matching button. You may find a shop that will do the entire job. It's a big job, but you can replace it with a double din.

I had this BIOR tire carrier installed earlier this year but never posted a single picture. Big shout out to Mike at Bump it Off-Road for customizing this one. I think he’s the only fabricator that can customize a bumper to your liking for the 100 series. Center tire carrier with jerry can mount. He also added tabs on the back side of the spare tire mount for a front runner fold down table.
FFAE513A-AAD3-4370-A795-3C6F415941C7.jpeg
4EBCC5E6-71F1-4469-94F8-87D2DA4B1E43.jpeg
F22D3682-62DD-48B6-A232-3D5996351A5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom