What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the 100 into the shop. Pulling the MC and bolting on the rebuilt pump, accumulator, and solenoid controller. $500 in spare parts vs $2000+ MC operation...GOOOO!!!

Load bars finished up. Gamiviti towers with Front Runner Load Bars. Awaiting the new awning

IMG_20190417_130059907_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190417_130124479_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190417_130133753_HDR.jpg

I am mostly writing this to keep myself accountable, but I have been working through some trouble spots on my 98 LX470 sitting at 380K miles. Last weekend I ended up building the courage to tackle the timing belt and strip down the engine. When I bought the rig it was owned by a gentleman who cared very little about the little leaks such as those from the valve covers, and let that drip down and into the various nooks and crannies. As you could all imagine, after 100k miles of this behavior the gunk and grease, coupled with failing CV joints spewing more grease created quite a grimey experience. Read another way: an additional 12 hours to the job due to the cleaning and rework needed since the buck stops here with underhood cleanliness ( what can I say, I am too self-centered to let the mechanic at the inspection station judge me for the way I keep that engine).

So, I tore it down, washed it part by part, and finally started putting it back together. It took me the weekend to finally get to the reassembly point, and the car is sitting quietly in a public garage pretending to be operable, while I desperately try to sneak out earlier prior to the weekend and get a chance to get her back on the road.

And for those of you that are thinking, "holy smokes, what about the suspension after 380k miles? I bet that AHC is wonky" well you bet your behind it was and that's why I also have started to wrap up the other part the conversion to OME coils, Bilstein shocks, and OME torsion bars this week too. I got stuck trying to figure out how to actually tighten up the rear coil bolt and torque to spec, and after much frustration I stepped away to think it through. Moved on to the front part and spent what felt like an eternity carefully cutting the shock out. After I got it out, I started to become more dissapointed in the truck's front end after spending such intimate time together while cutting the shock out.

I obsessively found myself writing down all of the things that "at the time" felt like minimal additions.. I could here the little voice in my head:

"Might as well"

"While your in there"

"When is the next time I am going to disassemble the whole spindle and leave the car on 4 jack stands"

"When Bob asks for the press tool back you can't push returning it any longer, he knew the last excuse was bull***t"

So, within a matter of 5 minutes, I already racked up another 500 bucks worth of stuff. I think I drunkenly bought a new denso radiator off amazon, becasue there is no other reason the front desk lady wrote me a strongly worded email to let me know "my tiny home" arrived in cardboard form.

I'll be putting new tie rods, sway bar links, bushings, differential bushings, upper and lower ball joints ( already met some sketchy guy who knew a guy who knew some guy named Alstrom but really he sells Sankei 555, etc or whatever everyone else does to find those coveted metal gemstones of suspension glory).

Wish me luck gents!

Big couple weeks here:

Rear Springs (OME 2865) (amazon)
Rear OEM shocks (Toyota of Dallas)
ARB Deluxe Bar (3413190) 03-07 model, fits all 100 series (4 Wheel Parts, Moore, OK)
All new emblems (Toyota of Dallas)
Removed gold pin stripe (3M wheel, oreilly auto parts)

After 10 years of ownership, the gold is gone!

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Big couple weeks here:

ARB Deluxe Bar (3413190) 03-07 model, fits all 100 series (4 Wheel Parts, Moore, OK)

View attachment 1955823

View attachment 1955824

View attachment 1955822

View attachment 1955825

View attachment 1955826

I need to do the same, planned on just replacing the toyota emblems and leaving the rest off. Seeing how refreshing it looks makes me want to replace them all.

What did you use to get the emblems off?

I need to do the same, planned on just replacing the toyota emblems and leaving the rest off. Seeing how refreshing it looks makes me want to replace them all.

What did you use to get the emblems off?

I first used fishing line to cut through the adhesive on the back of the emblems, then I used a 3M Stripe Off Wheel to get just about all of the old adhesive off. This stuff is seriously baked on. I then used polishing compound and even wet sanded it to try and get it all off. I could not get it all off without damaging the paint. I was planning on putting new emblems on so it wasn't that big of deal to me.

This is after much effort to remove the adhesive.

IMG_0245.jpg

Final result. You can see the little amount of residue left.

IMG_0259.jpg

I think I have a little Tent-Envy. Which tent is that? Nice camping set up.

@abuck99 , thanks for the kind words—it’s the now-discontinued oztent jet tent f25x. It’s freaking awesome once set up, but set up is probably a 25 minute job, and take down probably about 45. So not a great “I move every night” tent, but good for 2+ nights in the same location and really good for four or more. Pretty stinking weather tight and roomy—we put all three kids in the back lean-to, and the grow ups have the front 64 square feet. No condensation ever and just a couple of tbsp of leaks during hours of torrential rain. I think there’s a similar design by another brand out there but forget the details...

You have a part number for the longer 16" wiper blade? Thanks.
Unfortunately no part number, I just went to AutoZone where they had replacement options in 14 ,15.5 and 16

Got a new battery to replace the one from original owner, wanted to start fresh to plug in my new compressor fridge without worrying about overnight stays. Downgraded in size from 27f to 24f, but because its AGM the specs stayed the same and got piece of mind that I can run it down without damaging it. It was plug and play and cost from local sams club was $191 OTD when returning core with a 3 year free replace warranty.

Odd that the sticker says made in mexico! I though Deka/Eastpenn was all made in USA, if you see the image both made in usa and made in mexico appear, sooo confusing!

View media item 83011
View media item 83012

Last edited:
Big couple weeks here:

View attachment 1955823

View attachment 1955824

View attachment 1955822

View attachment 1955825

View attachment 1955826
Looks great and just in time for stedi lights. Just discovered them and they are available in the usa.

LED Fog with DRL Upgrade for ARB Deluxe Bullbar

Last edited:
@99land By any chance would you be able to post the part number for the emblems?

Did they only come in gold and chrome or black as well?

After a week in shop Vicki is driving better than she ever has:

+New front calipers, rotors, pads
+New rear rotors and pads
+New OEM shocks all around
+Fluid Film underbody treatment
+Synthetic Oil Change

No more pulsating brake issue and the ride is so much more controlled. Guys at the shop said getting the original shocks off was a total PIA.

Computer did not store codes for the total brake failure lights I got a couple of weeks ago so I am just crossing my fingers for now...

Now that I have her back from my wife and she is my daily driver again, I am thinking about finally pulling the running boards and roof rack + wind deflector delete.

Full inside and out detail happening tomorrow- will post picks of her all cleaned up and shiny.

Got a new battery to replace the one from original owner, wanted to start fresh to plug in my new compressor fridge without worrying about overnight stays. Downgraded in size from 27f to 24f, but because its AGM the specs stayed the same and got piece of mind that I can run it down without damaging it. It was plug and play and cost from local sams club was $191 OTD when returning core with a 3 year free replace warranty.

Odd that the sticker says made in mexico! I though Deka/Eastpenn was all made in USA, if you see the image both made in usa and made in mexico appear, sooo confusing!

View media item 83011
View media item 83012
I upgraded to a AGM but went to a smaller size battery on my old 4Runner like you did on your 100. I didn't notice until after that I kept the same cca's but lost a bunch of RC (reserve), which is what you want when you run accessories with the engine off.

I upgraded to a AGM but went to a smaller size battery on my old 4Runner like you did on your 100. I didn't notice until after that I kept the same cca's but lost a bunch of RC (reserve), which is what you want when you run accessories with the engine off.

I saw the RC difference, but I am thinking that AGM's are OK to use those RC's consistently without damaging the battery compared to a regular battery which I originally had. I am only looking for some weekend warrior juice and not knowing the original owners battery history i went this low price route. The group 31 of the same brand was really appealing too, maybe if I find any issues with this setup I'll look into that.

How was your experience with using up that battery to run accessories?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom