What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (81 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do the Trail Tailor sway bar links come with all of the necessary hardware? Any additional mods to get them on with the 2in longer front links?

Do the Trail Tailor sway bar links come with all of the necessary hardware? Any additional mods to get them on with the 2in longer front links?
Yes. Comes with everything you need and bolts right up.

I took my wheels off to get better access but that’s not really even necessary. I just didnt feel like laying in the gravel after work yesterday.

It took all of 15 minutes.

Got a new key chain. That’s the silhouette of an 80, but who cares, it’s still a cruiser!!!

B2700E89-F3EA-4598-B962-BF49CDAE111A.jpeg

FA0B4D9D-03BA-4FFA-BB95-D515432BF17E.jpeg

Last edited:
Replaced the front driver and passenger side door lock actuator motors. The thread in the FAQ is helpful, but 44 pages long; thinking a 1 page instructional; locked to comment would be helpful to others. First side took me about 2.5hrs, the other side under an hour. Would have been quicker but forgot to connect the door side light and had to remove all the screws from the door panel to get behind and connect it: Doh!.

Hopefully this low budget hack lasts as long as the originals @ 190k.

Just finished my 1" body lift and added 305 75 16 rears and 285 75 16 fronts (got them used for $75 each). Getting ready for Baja trip :)

View attachment 1764873

Different sized tires? Most all wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicles this will cause quite a bit of damage. Am I missing something in the landcruiser that it can handle this?

Different sized tires? Most all wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicles this will cause quite a bit of damage. Am I missing something in the landcruiser that it can handle this?

You will not damage the drivetrain using different sized tires. That's what differentials are for, to allow different rotation for each tire. When the diffs are locked theoretically you could damage the drivetrain. However, you typically only use the lockers when offroading and not excessive turning. Plus our trannys are built well.

o_O First time ive seen a cruiser with different size tires front to back, Looks wonky.

You will not damage the drivetrain using different sized tires. That's what differentials are for, to allow different rotation for each tire. When the diffs are locked theoretically you could damage the drivetrain. However, you typically only use the lockers when offroading and not excessive turning. Plus our trannys are built well.

They do allow for different rotation of each tire, but only for a short period of time(I.E. when turning). In your case it will be your center differential doing the slipping, but constant slippage will result in a loss of power and increase of heat which will cause unnecessary wear and failure. This is the same reason having two different sized tires on the same axle is bad.

Last edited:

I strongly disagree. The design requirements for our differentials are to mitigate small, short bursts of rotation differences

They do allow for different rotation of each tire, but only for a short period of time(I.E. when turning). In your case it will be your center differential doing the slipping, but constant slippage will result in a loss of power and increase of heat which can cause unneccessary wear and failure. This is the same reason having two different sized tires on the same axle is bad.

Hit the nail on the head.

They do allow for different rotation of each tire, but only for a short period of time(I.E. when turning). In your case it will be your center differential doing the slipping, but constant slippage will result in a loss of power and increase of heat which will cause unnecessary wear and failure. This is the same reason having two different sized tires on the same axle is bad.
Exactly. That guy will learn a very costly lesson if he runs different sized tires on the front and rear on a full time 4wd vehicle. My question is, why would he?

hit some trails. Report back. Please.
Yeah. I think if @spear2 is definitely going to do this he should take along a infrared temp gun and take some readings as an experiment. That would be super interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom