What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (100 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chasing down sunroof tilt issues.

Step 1: Remove absolutely everything except sunroof...

IMG_3609.JPG

You probably sold a DIY kit to someone that turned it into a standard bumper offering that will now see 30-50K in revenue.....

J
Haha,
You wouldn't believe how many calls and emails I get asking if I'll sell the plans for the price of a DIY kit!

Admittedly it does - I asked for something that wasn't bulky, didn't weigh too much, and angled up on the edges and this was what we settled on after he provided a couple of drawings.

Really? :rimshot:

Gman,

You're in the Dominican Republic, did you have it made there? If so pretty decent Fab skills for a local shop to come up with. Was getting the steel, accessories and getting it bent a challenge ?

Admittedly it does - I asked for something that wasn't bulky, didn't weigh too much, and angled up on the edges and this was what we settled on after he provided a couple of drawings. Not modular and probably no where near as nice and as well made as your Dissent products. But the front, rear and sliders all cost $2k USD together.

He had issues getting some of the bolts re-seated, so I will have to address that back in the states as well as what to do with the front turn signals. I am assuming that I can swap out a LC turn signal directly for the corner lights.Still need to read up on that.

I wonder what the drawings that didn't make the cut look like...haha. I bet they looked like the SLEE Blueberry, ARB or the Kavik.

The shipping alone to D.R. would have been very cost prohibitive to buy a DIY kit from the states. It deff wouldn't be hard to reverse engineer any number of things just based on pics available on the interwebz.

There is a large off-road community in the DR. Many vehicles types have their own club. Mostly rich upperclass locals, some expats. The top 7-10% of Dominicans are very wealthy. Private school crowd. There are also some nicer high-end 4x4 fabrication shops here that do some excellent work as well, but they cater to that wealthy upper class crowd and have a reputation of up-charging expats. 4x4Dominicano is the largest and most commercial one of those. Their instagram page is here if you want to look: Todo Para Tu Offroad! (@4x4dominicano) • Instagram photos and videos They focus mostly on Jeeps and FJCruisers, but have produced armor for most other type of trucks here.

One of the guys in an Xterra club recommended the guy I used. He is Venezuelan, not Dominican, and the guy's shop is pretty bare bones. Only has power half the day. He does have some skills, but does everything first with cardboard cut outs and then replication with steel and eyeballing it as he goes. Seems to work visually. He said he had not worked on many LC's previously. Dealing with the guy was a challenge as his business skills sucked. Communication was non-existent and he kept trying to change things without asking. He then tried to ask for more money part way through. The total project took him almost 6 weeks - about 3.5 weeks over what he promised.

As for the look, we initially talked it over and he pulled up pictures on a ipad of random bumpers. I told him what I found appealing and unappealing. He then did a drawing that we tweaked. I didn't think about it closely resembling anything already out there and I initially thought the bumper would remain wider as it angled to the corners then it turned out, but as he progressed he slimmed it down further to save weight (and probably material for himself). As for the back, I completely left the bumper design up to him and just told him I wanted a 2nd arm with a detachable fuel can/cooler box on a ladder. To be clear there was no intention of copying anyone's design on my part. My apologies to Dissent if that is the / his perception.

You do get what you pay for and I have noticed some small issues with the completed product - also I've only had the truck back a week and one of the sliders is a bit loose and is creating noise at low speeds. I am shipping it back now as I depart here in a month and will have to address that in the US.

Mounted the tent, awning and enjoyed the long weekend on the "beach" with my wife and some friends. Got the chance to hIt some natural hot springs and saw my first bear of the season

About 800 km trip in total

DSC_1738.JPG

DSC_1727.JPG

IMG-20170520-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20170523-WA0118.jpg

Last edited:
There is a large off-road community in the DR. Many vehicles types have their own club. Mostly rich upperclass locals, some expats. The top 7-10% of Dominicans are very wealthy. Private school crowd. There are also some nicer high-end 4x4 fabrication shops here that do some excellent work as well, but they cater to that wealthy upper class crowd and have a reputation of up-charging expats. 4x4Dominicano is the largest and most commercial one of those. Their instagram page is here if you want to look: Todo Para Tu Offroad! (@4x4dominicano) • Instagram photos and videos They focus mostly on Jeeps and FJCruisers, but have produced armor for most other type of trucks here.

One of the guys in an Xterra club recommended the guy I used. He is Venezuelan, not Dominican, and the guy's shop is pretty bare bones. Only has power half the day. He does have some skills, but does everything first with cardboard cut outs and then replication with steel and eyeballing it as he goes. Seems to work visually. He said he had not worked on many LC's previously. Dealing with the guy was a challenge as his business skills sucked. Communication was non-existent and he kept trying to change things without asking. He then tried to ask for more money part way through. The total project took him almost 6 weeks - about 3.5 weeks over what he promised.

As for the look, we initially talked it over and he pulled up pictures on a ipad of random bumpers. I told him what I found appealing and unappealing. He then did a drawing that we tweaked. I didn't think about it closely resembling anything already out there and I initially thought the bumper would remain wider as it angled to the corners then it turned out, but as he progressed he slimmed it down further to save weight (and probably material for himself). As for the back, I completely left the bumper design up to him and just told him I wanted a 2nd arm with a detachable fuel can/cooler box on a ladder. To be clear there was no intention of copying anyone's design on my part. My apologies to Dissent if that is the / his perception.

You do get what you pay for and I have noticed some small issues with the completed product - also I've only had the truck back a week and one of the sliders is a bit loose and is creating noise at low speeds. I am shipping it back now as I depart here in a month and will have to address that in the US.
No worries here!
I couldn't of shipped you a bumper anyways and have no intention of expanding to the Dominican Republic :)
Now if he were a USA fab shop I may feel differently, and there have been a few.
Maybe I need to use more emojis
Or somthing so I don't come off wrong :)

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Recieved a pic with the old girl completely disassembled. Next week she will be ready to get home.

She's a 01 100HDJ Diesel with 500.000km on the clock. The oem paint was green, I did not like it much, but the truck is too awesome to let her go. Pulled the trigger for the color "Magnetic Grey Metallic" from the 200 series. Next step is a complete overhaul of all hardware, followed by refreshing interior.

IMG-20170524-WA0000.jpg

IMG_0344.JPG

The stock head unit needed to go, bought a double din video/mp3 player and installed it...

34822109351_df3eb03b78_b.jpg

34954127575_bf16f35dc3_b.jpg

that's my GF walking along the beach in Bermuda, heh

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
Getting beach prep done

New lower ball joints and upper SPC control arms. I pressed in the lowers, and Camelback Toyota did the SPC's. Drives like a dream, and now I'm looking to put some 860s in the rear and crank the front up another inch. Because I can...
20170522_200158.jpg

View attachment 20170527_114926.jpg

I removed my roof rack. The center foot on each side had one bolt with the dreaded rust.
IMG_0397.JPG
I ended up drilling out the plastic around the bolt and pried the center foot off. I then used vice grips to remove the rusty bolt. If I decide to reinstall, should be able to find a bolt that will work in the drilled out side and can still use the factory bolt to secure the other side. Here's the after...
IMG_0399.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom