what do you use to heat your shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i currently have an old shop that is insulated but some is falling out of the roof. it’s a little drafty too. i have a wood barrel stove in it which works ok but takes a long time to heat up in the winter.

i’m looking for other ideas such as radiant heaters etc if any one has ideas they use and know work. my shop is about 700 sq feet. not putting in gas. that’ll go in a new shop eventually

i currently have an old shop that is insulated but some is falling out of the roof. it’s a little drafty too. i have a wood barrel stove in it which works ok but takes a long time to heat up in the winter.

i’m looking for other ideas such as radiant heaters etc if any one has ideas they use and know work. my shop is about 700 sq feet. not putting in gas. that’ll go in a new shop eventually
Mass Rocket stove. The heat passes through a series of channels and it will stay hot for hours after its out. Good idea to pre load it and then..if you want to walk in when its hot, do some kind of auto start with igniter and propane. It will then be nice and hot once you arive.

I'd start by sealing up the drafts and getting the insulation in order. My shop doesn't go much below 50℉ without even turning the heat on due to being reasonably well sealed and insulated.

Like PAToyata said, insulate, make it air tight and the heat required will be minimal.

I assume you meant "heat" and not "hear"? Might want to edit the title. My shop has 4 tons of heat pump. Easy peasy, just set the thermostat.
I was told that 32.00 fee was going away in 2021 ?

Have a feeling the Middle East desert has large daliy tempature swings? Plus think the lows might not be as low as Canada. Having followed the heat pump development over the years but most it was not much below freezing that they lose their efficiency and the transfer of BTUs drops off. Electric strips heat as backup is expensive. I have a heat pump plan on installing at my cabin. At around freezing plan to disable the heat pump and just run the auxiliary heat strips. Cabin is 100% electric and heat with electric furnace now but only to 45° degrees Fahrenheit when I not there. Heat pump is mainly to gain Air Conditioning.

Have a feeling the Middle East desert has large daliy tempature swings? Plus think the lows might not be as low as Canada. Having followed the heat pump development over the years but most it was not much below freezing that they lose their efficiency and the transfer of BTUs drops off. Electric strips heat as backup is expensive. I have a heat pump plan on installing at my cabin. At around freezing plan to disable the heat pump and just run the auxiliary heat strips. Cabin is 100% electric and heat with electric furnace now but only to 45° degrees Fahrenheit when I not there. Heat pump is mainly to gain Air Conditioning.

My shop is in Auburn Alabama at my US house. I live and work most of the time in Riyadh but I don't have a shop here, or even a garage unfortunately.

stop the drafts n repair the insulation, that barrel stove should be plenty heat for 700 sqr ft. i wouldn't spend anymore $ on the old shop heating if you're building a new one. google 'upside down fire' that's what i do in my shop
oh yeah, weld a f%^k ton :flipoff2:

Fatso

2C358DE0-4D7C-4949-89B3-828B2D9006CD.jpeg

thanks for the replies. i don’t want to invest a lot of time or money into this shop as it’s not going to be used for much longer. i really wanted to see if people were using any of these propane space heaters or portable heaters. the fact that no one has mentioned them makes me think i’ll put up with my wood stove for now and get on with building a proper well sealed and insulated building!!

thanks for the replies. i don’t want to invest a lot of time or money into this shop as it’s not going to be used for much longer. i really wanted to see if people were using any of these propane space heaters or portable heaters. the fact that no one has mentioned them makes me think i’ll put up with my wood stove for now and get on with building a proper well sealed and insulated building!!
this for sure. the downside to propane heat as above is ...condensation....in my mind the only plus to it is it's quick as fawk for heat.
besides, wood heat is awesome for heating you 3 times...when you cut it, when you split it n when you burn it :flipoff2:
i love workin' in the shop with only the sound of the fire crackling, the soft swish of blond curls coming off a sharp hand plane n the barely imperceptible growl of a hungry handsaw chewing through oak.

i really wanted to see if people were using any of these propane space heaters or portable heaters. the fact that no one has mentioned them makes me think i’ll put up with my wood stove for now and get on with building a proper well sealed and insulated building!!

That's what I use (portable propane heater that mounts on top of a 10 lb. tank). I didn't post it because our "winter" here is nothing compared to yours. Works well enough for the few times per year that I need it; not sure how useful it would be in Canadian winters.

Maybe get something like this and an outside propane tank rental. When your ready to move on, take it with you and run it on natural gas.
E70A95DE-383B-49A0-9598-09612C97D7A2.jpeg
1117BE55-170A-4649-89F6-500FD5C512AC.jpeg

Fifteen or so years ago my son and I built a 40'X30' metal building.
Insulated with R21 in roof and R19 on walls.
We put a dividing wall splitting it in half giving us each 600 square feet and we have been coveting each others half eversince.
For the first few years we only had space heaters and turned them off at night.
Even in zero temps the inside temp never got below 40* over night.
My son has a clay studio in his half and when firing the electric kilns the radiant heat makes it quite comfortable in the winter.
About ten years ago I came across a free 10K electric heater and we installed that on the middle wall with a 10" vent blowing into each side.
Electric is not the most economical way to go but with the insulation and a tight building it doesn't take much to keep it comfortable.
The heater is a drop in the bucket compared to two or three electric kilns going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom