What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (99 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just picked up some of those oem wipers myself. About to install those and replace the window motor control unit on my right back passenger door. And have to call insurance company and schedule an adjuster for some damage sustained in a parking lot a few weeks back.

Took a trip out to the east coast beach for annual summer beach vacation this last week. I drove well over 2400 miles round trip. First time taking the 80 on a trip like this. Drove my yukon out last year. Luckily no issues at all with the rig. She drove like a dream the entire way. On the way there we did get slammed with terrible weather. Saturday wasn't too bad. But Sunday, the second day, was intense with rain and wind for I would say 75% of the time. At the very least. What a ride. Saw so many accidents. Many times I could barely see in front of my hood. White knuckling type of thing. I was saying my prayers every hour and counting my blessings. Lol. I've never driven in anything that intense and prolonged. But we made it.

Left for home yesterday. Kids and wife flew back so it was just me driving solo. Wasn't sure how I was going to break the trip up. And quite honestly I was thinking about making the entire drive in one day. Kept pushing and she kept purring. About halfway in I decided to do it all. I was keyed in and ready to get home too. I stopped outside tyler, tx and had whataburger at like midnight. Got out and popped open the back. Then sat on my tailgate with a big smile on my face enjoying my burger. Made it home early this morn around 2. What a freaking trip. Drive, scenery, and just overall experience. Highly recommend this drive. Well except the bad weather I got. Lol. And shout out to 95-99 widespread "tapes" as we used to call em back in the day. That really got me through. Some great jamming time and brought back lots of memories. Amazing journey.

Did start noticing a slight gurgling/ticking noise that is related to the ac being on. But no engine issues. Going to try and pinpoint and fix this week. And Happy father's day to all the dads on the forum. So glad to back home safe and sound with the fam. Waking up to my wife and girls after that long drive yesterday was so worth it. And thanks to this community for all the resources I used and read in preparation for this trip.

There are 3 different versions of fenders and flares. Did you buy those for the correct year range?
Well Partsouq had them listed for a '97

The attachment points look the same for these ones, but they're a lot taller than the ones I took off with the runner board cutouts. I think I'll buy them and give them a go

P/N's

square template.jpg

Last edited:
Well Partsouq had them listed for a '97

The attachment points look the same for these ones, but they're a lot taller than the ones I took off with the runner board cutouts. I think I'll buy them and give them a go

P/N's

View attachment 3352192
Always easy to trim if needed...

In celebration of Father’s Day, thought I would give a shout-out to my dad is the one who passed down the Land Cruiser addiction as from a very young age he took me all over Colorado and Utah in his 79 FJ40 he’s had since new. Some of my fondest memories were riding passenger on 3 or 4 really firm pillows so I could see over the dash. He made it a pretty comfy 40 for road-trips with lots of insulation, a killer stereo, and the H55 five speed. I always knew a cruiser was going to be my first car and it’s sorta funny, I really thought I was going to get a FJ60. But my mom insisted on my first car had to have airbags. Hence the 95-97 80. I was pretty upset at the time but 8 years later I think it couldn’t have worked out better.

815D1A2C-5B92-4AAE-BAB0-F1D98BA091DC.jpeg

6EE9FDD7-3D33-4FD9-A096-272E97FEF897.jpeg

26676530-671B-4194-8A5F-5A1BEE7A3CDB.jpeg

Returned with my wife and dogs to a favorite camp spot in Wyoming, caught some fish and did some terrific sleeping by a river.

Second morning out, two backpackers wandered into our camp asking for help. They were early 20s kids on a cross-country road trip but made a bad choice and got their rear wheel drive minivan (with bald tires) stuck in a snow/mud bank almost 70 miles from pavement, then they had walked nearly 20 miles down the mountain until they ran into us. We crammed all our stuff and them into my truck and drove them up to their van, then I got my traction mats and winch line all set up to recover their vehicle… but no power to my winch. 🤦🏻‍ Turns out I broke one of the pins in the controller off in the winch receiver, so it was a bit of a fail.

The resolution was us driving them 70 miles back down the river to get a 4x4 wrecker in town, and we parted ways at the excellent Melvin Brewing Company. We heard they did get their van recovered, so all’s not lost.

35145638-CD95-48B4-947F-E5082B07A247.jpeg

Yesterday, drew and cut out a template for a transfer case skid plate since my vehicle doesn't even have one

20230616_142955.jpg

Five minutes on CAD and another few minutes on the table and the template is out and ready

20230617_141948.jpg

Bending it to my specifications

20230617_143327.jpg

20230617_143536.jpg

Test mount, the real one will be in 1/4" as this is just 16 gauge for mock up purposes

20230618_144904.jpg

Need to figure the rear mounting to the frame then work on making another skid plate for the gearbox and armor for the front differential

Last edited:
I am currently lucky enough to live up in Aspen and work at a hotel that gave the employees passes to the Food and Wine event up here. Apparently this event was the first public showing of the new Lexus lx550. My goodness is it a good looking car. Cool to see team Toyota is building something cool and listing to what people want finally. Seems like a very similar size to the 80 in person

View attachment 3350710

View attachment 3350711

View attachment 3350712
It clearly says GX though.

Added a rear molle panel from refinedcycle.com.
I’m happy with it,

The upper shelf was added years ago and the red bladder is a must when camping. I drink a lot.

Zona

81E3914B-5530-424B-847B-D0FB31B2999C.jpeg

079E0D10-6528-4AF7-8408-2401A5C495D3.jpeg

B7FA846C-B4E9-46E7-88DB-0D7AFEBF946A.jpeg

765BA530-7B6A-4542-A495-78FBFED819A3.jpeg

Returned with my wife and dogs to a favorite camp spot in Wyoming, caught some fish and did some terrific sleeping by a river.

Second morning out, two backpackers wandered into our camp asking for help. They were early 20s kids on a cross-country road trip but made a bad choice and got their rear wheel drive minivan (with bald tires) stuck in a snow/mud bank almost 70 miles from pavement, then they had walked nearly 20 miles down the mountain until they ran into us. We crammed all our stuff and them into my truck and drove them up to their van, then I got my traction mats and winch line all set up to recover their vehicle… but no power to my winch. 🤦🏻‍ Turns out I broke one of the pins in the controller off in the winch receiver, so it was a bit of a fail.

The resolution was us driving them 70 miles back down the river to get a 4x4 wrecker in town, and we parted ways at the excellent Melvin Brewing Company. We heard they did get their van recovered, so all’s not lost.

View attachment 3352476

No tug strap? Traction boards wouldn't work?

No tug strap? Traction boards wouldn't work?
Tires so bald they couldn’t grab the traction boards and the low side of the van stuffed into a mud bank. Because of the snowbank they tried to drive around and the narrow uphill pitch of the road we decided not to attempt a tug - didn’t to make a bad situation worse by blocking the road back and getting everyone stuck.

In celebration of Father’s Day, thought I would give a shout-out to my dad is the one who passed down the Land Cruiser addiction as from a very young age he took me all over Colorado and Utah in his 79 FJ40 he’s had since new. Some of my fondest memories were riding passenger on 3 or 4 really firm pillows so I could see over the dash. He made it a pretty comfy 40 for road-trips with lots of insulation, a killer stereo, and the H55 five speed. I always knew a cruiser was going to be my first car and it’s sorta funny, I really thought I was going to get a FJ60. But my mom insisted on my first car had to have airbags. Hence the 95-97 80. I was pretty upset at the time but 8 years later I think it couldn’t have worked out better.

View attachment 3352459

View attachment 3352460

View attachment 3352461
Great post! Thanks for sharing!❤️

Yesterday, drew and cut out a template for a transfer case skid plate since my vehicle doesn't even have one

View attachment 3352518

Five minutes on CAD and another few minutes on the table and the template is out and ready

View attachment 3352520

Bending it to my specifications

View attachment 3352521

View attachment 3352522

Test mount, the real one will be in 1/4" as this is just 16 gauge for mock up purposes

View attachment 3352524

Need to figure the rear mounting to the frame then work on making another skid plate for the gearbox and armor for the front differential

Got a little bit of time later today.

Wondering if I should do a "sandwich" style mounting setup on the frame or like White Knuckle Offroad and use a custom U bolt.

Anyone know the dimensions of said U bolt?

Decided to troubleshoot my inoperable rear locker. Read all the threads on troubleshooting, then climbed under with tools and testing things. Motor is bound, and the 2 top bolt heads are stripped holding it to the 3rd... just cammed out. Gave up for now, and letting them soak in penetrating lube. Not sure if those extractor sockets are too long and will hit the motor or perhaps extractor wrenches will work. Someone has been in here before from the looks of things.

Decided to troubleshoot my inoperable rear locker. Read all the threads on troubleshooting, then climbed under with tools and testing things. Motor is bound, and the 2 top bolt heads are stripped holding it to the 3rd... just cammed out. Gave up for now, and letting them soak in penetrating lube. Not sure if those extractor sockets are too long and will hit the motor or perhaps extractor wrenches will work. Someone has been in here before from the looks of things.

Try a Snap On flank drive plus wrench. I bet it will remove those bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom