What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nothing for the first time in about 2 months. it was great!

• Haha
Reactions: b16
Spent the weekend digging into a new'ish project. Bought a 1994 LC in New Mexico that is really straight and zero rust. PO had a shop swap in a motor from a '95 or newer LC. It runs well and doesn't leak any oil, but after an intermittent CEL, I opted to really dig into this thing and re-baseline it. I'll be doing a write-up on it when I have a little more time, and I'll link to it: (HERE) later.

Over the weekend, crawling around underneath it, I discovered some fun O2 sensor wiring. Just because you can doesn't mean you should... wire nuts and e-tape. I fixed it with solder and heat shrink. No more CEL, and she's purring like a kitten.

Next is a full tune-up with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, throttle body gasket and associated hoses, all of the water hoses at the fire wall and the heater control.

Unfortunately, when I went to the car wash to clean under it before I started my inspection, I managed to break the driver side door handle, and it locked me out... so, that accelerated by DS door handle paint matching and R&R, as well as replacing driver side and passenger side mirrors, paint match to go with it.

soldered wiring.jpg

wire corrosion.jpg

wire nuts.jpg

Last edited:
Mirror and door handle painting coat 1 before wet sand

Paint coat 1.jpg

While paint was drying, I started to pull it all apart.

Box o'parts....

Box o parts.jpg

Cover 3.jpg

Cover 4.jpg

Cover 5.jpg

Engine Parts Numbers 1.jpg

Engine Parts Numbers.jpg

Last edited:
Really like those 3G4R wheels...do you have them spaced? Makes me miss my 02 4R kinda
Yeah, liked them too, but at 7", a little skinny. And yes, spaced out 1.5"...came off of my son's 96 Taco when he stole my BFG's on Lexus wheels that came on mine for a quieter ride. The OEM Lando wheels came with the truck as spares and polished up nicely...personally they're my favorites!

Drove it in a crazy microburst storm.

20220822_172537.jpg

20220822_172620.jpg

This normally dry wash went from dry to river in 2 minutes.

20220822_173118.jpg

I drove through the storm and it caught up with me just as I got home.

That looks like the fake storms you see at the Sony Pictures Studios! Insane. :drool:

It was insane. It went from 105F calm and clear to hurricane winds and hail in 10 minutes. Than an hour later it was back to calm and clear.

The monsoons have been intense this year.

Finally replaced the PCV valve and grommet, and two fresh hoses up there and no more oil factory smell!! Was about to replace my valve gasket again, but nope. All good now.

Also doing some routine maintenance, and refound this:

CAE543B9-30F8-456C-BC73-C1397FA5B6D7.jpeg

Forgot all about this. I found it way back when I filled every hole with LEDs. I Abandoned this one. The blinker housing has a little crack that let water in corroded the bulb into the socket. I’ve long since sealed the crack with some epoxy from the inside.

Bulb still works.

Did a quick search…can you buy just the bulb holder? No need for a new housing.

I have aux led blinkers in the Arb too.

It was insane. It went from 105F calm and clear to hurricane winds and hail in 10 minutes. Than an hour later it was back to calm and clear.

The monsoons have been intense this year.
80 looks right at home and unphased by that chaos.

Primed and test fit my CAD (cardboard aided design) bumper. Now to clean up all those ugly hidden bits that the winch hides 🧼 🙈

I'm really thinking of adding something to hide the frame ends... I suppose that's why some prefer the winch mount portion of bumpers on top of the frame as opposed to below, I kind of felt from a strength and rigidity standpoint having the winch pulling from under the frame would be more stout due to the outer 3 bolts and 4 bolts underneath... I'm also not an engineer...so 🤷🏻
20220822_204403.jpg

20220823_195659~2.jpg

20220823_195705~2.jpg

I'm really thinking of adding something to hide the frame ends.

Looks good, especially for a homebrew. You can also put lights in the frame ends. This is what a lot of guys have done with the 4x4 labs front bumper.

looks awesome! I would consider a gusset or tube running from lower down on the vertical plate up to the wings for some added strength. I can see the wing getting twisted up or back pretty easily by an impact

looks awesome! I would consider a gusset or tube running from lower down on the vertical plate up to the wings for some added strength. I can see the wing getting twisted up or back pretty easily by an impact
Agreed, I will be adding gussets inside the back of it for additional strength.

Installed a PCV catch can since all the cool kids are doing it. Also prepping to road trip to Grand Junction from LA next week, so need to check bearing preload and put my hood heat vent risers on before driving off across the desert.

PXL_20220824_015045877.jpg

PXL_20220824_015100563.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom