What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (88 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright follks, Im not the smartest guys in the planet but I feel like the fan clutch job should not be that hard. Ive tried using both a ratcheting 6 point wrench and a flare wrench, but the nuts that connect the clutch to the water pump are not budging, at all! Ive applied boat load of penetrating spray, tried heating them up, nothing works, and Im on the verge of rounding all the nuts off. Any tips/tricks to help this noob out?
Thanks
Hopefully you've gotten this sorted by now. I had to turn mine off with a vice grip--they were totally mangled by the time I was done, but that was all that would turn them. Not sure why they'd be stuck on there so tight. Replaced all the studs and nuts when the new fan clutch went on.

Pulled the headliner down to tackle a few jobs and found a mouse nest :hmm:
View attachment 2690204

He/she/it had pulled the insulation from the back of the roof. View attachment 2690205

Not sure if this was the same critter but i found his "holiday home" under the drivers seat. So far i have found 3 bees/wasps nests and a few other things that i couldn't identify.
Pretty sure there are no more now...:hillbilly:

View attachment 2690208
Looks good. I did a whole interior removal on mine back in the day. I would love to pull my headliner down. Alas I have a 92...

Last edited:
Looks good. I did a whole removal on mine back in the day. I would love to pull my headliner down. Alas I have a 92...
I need to figure out some way of cleaning it without destroying the headliner fabric. It sure looks fragile.

I need to figure out some way of cleaning it without destroying the headliner fabric. It sure looks fragile.
That is a tough one. My headliner looks faded and rather scuffed but it is tight and holding strong. I worry about taking it down and ripping it or not being able to get it back in properly with the metal rods and what not. My main reason for pulling would be to get rid of the roof rack holes. I have them currently taped up with Gorilla Tape. I know that I have seen plenty of posts for the 60's folks that have the same kind of deal as the early LC headliners. I really would like to do a mod and get rid of the cloth and rod and go to a one piece type like the later LC's have. Would probably still be a pain in all the modding that would have to be done. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Finally got around to pulling the roof rack. Only had to cut one of the screws as the threaded nut was spinning in the roof hole. Now it's all taped up for now. Was going to buy a kit from Wits but he is out of the roof screws. Then I thought about getting it welded but the headliner is a PITA that I don't want to deal with. Also finally got around to pulling the damaged front panel from the PO that decided to rock crawl without sliders. Started beating the inner panel into shape and will be able to use the panel that I bought off of a parts car in the classifieds of ih8mud... 7 years ago... LOL.

20210601_105918.jpg

20210601_110039.jpg

20210601_105721.jpg

20210601_105725.jpg

20210601_105758.jpg

Hopefully you've gotten this sorted by now. I had to turn mine off with a vice grip--they were totally mangled by the time I was done, but that was all that would turn them. Not sure why they'd be stuck on there so tight. Replaced all the studs and nuts when the new fan clutch went on.
I accepted defeat for now, I had to get out of the house and get some other stuff done.
I already have some replacement nuts from Wits End but Ill look into buying new studs too.
My guess is that someone else did this job at some point and just tightened the f**k out of those nuts.

I accepted defeat for now, I had to get out of the house and get some other stuff done.
I already have some replacement nuts from Wits End but Ill look into buying new studs too.
My guess is that someone else did this job at some point and just tightened the f**k out of those nuts.
Man that sucks. Some folks go agro on nuts/bolts and screws. :doh: I was fortunate that mine were not too hard to get off. I however did break one off when putting it back together... LOL. RATS! :bang:

What brand and what type of wrench box end wrench are you using? 6 point or 12 point?

Lots of people refuse to believe it but not all wrenches are created equal. My suggestion would be to track down a Snap On truck and buy 6 point box end / open end flank drive + wrench, or buy one online. They even make extra long versions that would be great for this particular job.

As an example I bought a cheap $10.00 brake line wrench to use on my 80. Well the cheap brake line wrench from Napa stripped the first brake line nut. I grabbed my regular Snap On wrench and the open end worked on every brake line nut including the one I stripped with the Napa wrench.

There is a reason millions of professional mechanics spend big $$$$ on these wrenches, there really is a night and day difference between cheap wrenches and quality USA made wrenches.
I started with a set of 12 point craftsman ratcheting wrench and a normal 12 point duralast. Then tried a set of 6 point ratcheting wrench from Tekton, but it was to big to fit snug around the nut. Last resort was a set of 6 point flared wrench from HF.
I think I worked them to the point of no return, but Ill get back at this job once Im back in town from work next weekend.

Man that sucks. Some folks go agro on nuts/bolts and screws. :doh: I was fortunate that mine were not too hard to get off. I however did break one off when putting it back together... LOL. RATS! :bang:
Yeah, Im not a torque spec nazi, but cmon, have some common sense.
This is the first set of hardware that gave me trouble on my LX.
When I did my suspension, at the bits and parts came out without a fuss

I started with a set of 12 point craftsman ratcheting wrench and a normal 12 point duralast. Then tried a set of 6 point ratcheting wrench from Tekton, but it was to big to fit snug around the nut. Last resort was a set of 6 point flared wrench from HF.
I think I worked them to the point of no return, but Ill get back at this job once Im back in town from work next weekend.
This is definitely your problem, my experience with ratcheting wrenches leads me to believe they round off hardware easier than normal wrenches. A normal box end is for breaking the nut loose and a ratcheting wrench is for taking it off after it is loose or for going back on.

Try again with a 6 point box end wrench. Preferably something like an Armstrong, Proto, MAC knuckle Saver(made by Stanley in Dallas), SK, or Williams(Snap on).

These are all made in USA quality tools.

Goodluck

Yeah, Im not a torque spec nazi, but cmon, have some common sense.
This is the first set of hardware that gave me trouble on my LX.
When I did my suspension, at the bits and parts came out without a fuss
Funny. Mine had a big hole for one of the mounts with the nutsert entirely gone. One of the POs had put a drywall anchor in place and a massive amount of silicone. Still working on getting that mess off the roof.

Funny. Mine had a big hole for one of the mounts with the nutsert entirely gone. One of the POs had put a drywall anchor in place and a massive amount of silicone. Still working on getting that mess off the roof.
Yeah that sucks. Mine is still in place but it was spinning. I could use my nutsert tool and reflare it and it would hold a screw. Issue is that I cannot find a good kit that has the same kind of setup like WitsEnd had for the roof mod.

Got a new stable and it now has a permanent home indoors! 8' garage door, so I don't have to worry about squeezing in, although it is a pretty tight spot once you're in there.

20210601_142547.jpg

20210601_142402.jpg

Getting ready to do the same thing myself. What did you do with the line on the underbelly of the unit?

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the roof rack. But they all came out ok except for one, that I had to pull the whole nutsert out.
But I haven’t officially addressed this job yet, since all I did after removing the roof rack was to put some gorilla tape over the holes 😬😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom