What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (48 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tore into this hot mess today, and drained radiator and block coolant-getting ready for some new red fluid-had green in there for awhile now.

What’s the call, ATF dex3 back in PS? I can’t seems to find that Mobil light hydro oil in any less than a gallon

447DA2B3-D995-483F-B535-4F92A9EBD9A0.jpeg

36BED890-4B91-4BA3-9490-1456B70C1297.jpeg

Only this for me
I use the ATF WS.

So without opening the can of worms about which is better...

What do you do with the mystery fluid left in the steering gear? I’m guessing it’s the OEM stuff since it was brown honey colored. Do I flush that? Are either options compatible?

edit. Found this: How to change Power Steering Fluid - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-change-power-steering-fluid.78646/

Leaning towards the WS since my local ‘zone’ has several quarts of Idemitsu WS in the 50% off bin. But Amazon is easy enough for the Mobil dte.

welp. Morning run.
10 quarts of this for $10. Sold. And a half dozen donuts.
A8FC5BFF-9731-46CC-BDC1-01BB8A36EA9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Omg. Lower PS pump stud. Top is in was going slow back and forth. there’s enough stud to grab.
69FFCA21-994C-4609-BECE-EA4A32090136.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
What’s the call, ATF dex3 back in PS? I can’t seems to find that Mobil light hydro oil in any less than a gallon

use the regular dex 3, thats what the lid calls for. if you have the hydraulic oil and thats more convenient then you shouldnt have an issue with it
Gonna try red locktite with the nut.

i would use blue locktite, ive had to soften up the red locktite with a torch before taking a bolt or nut out

i finally replaced my hood latch cable, also found out that the batter box has way more bolts holding it in than expected as you have to poll the box out to route the cable from the hood back

Couple more things checked off the list, accomplished the expensive, harder route.
Conversion to allow emissions testing on the RWD rollers:
IMG_1167.jpg

After 20 years I finally got the speedo in check to factory specs. 4:88 gearing made the 37's spot on:
IMG_1166.jpg

Gonna try red locktite with the nut.

View attachment 2598211
I 2nd the thin double nut method. Of course also make sure to hit the housing with the propane torch before you try to get it out.

Can you get in there with any kind of grinder and slot the end or grind some flats on the stud for the vise grip to grab?

You could also try some kind of an extractor tool like this one.

GEARWRENCH Stud Extractor-1708DD - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-Stud-Extractor-1708DD/205593421

Goodluck

use the regular dex 3, thats what the lid calls for. if you have the hydraulic oil and thats more convenient then you shouldnt have an issue with it

i would use blue locktite, ive had to soften up the red locktite with a torch before taking a bolt or nut out

He is trying to remove a broken stud, in this case I think he wants it permanently locked on there.

He is trying to remove a broken stud, in this case I think he wants it permanently locked on there.

red would be a good choice then, if theres enough room on the stud going with a double nut might help getting the stud out as well

While I’ve been pretending that PS stud isn’t broken....I’ve been busy as a beaver.

I’d say my alternator brushes were well and done.

also spied my fuel filter with a date stamp of 3/97....lol. Not doing that today!

now going foraging for some slim nuts. (No welder here). Grinder and flat spots is plan B.

F36EDBB5-182B-49E9-9E2A-0CB00A61D7DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom