What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, crap.

I went on a 10 day trip for work and had to rent a Tahoe for my 2416 mile trip.

Apparently, the 80 felt neglected and ignored, so it's gonna show me how much.

The brake booster is failing. Haven't noticed a problem at all, but now that it sat for a while, it decided it's gonna rebel.

One pump of the brakes is ok. Two pumps and I can feel it tighten up. Three pumps and it's hard as a rock.

Better get it on order now!

Well, crap.

I went on a 10 day trip for work and had to rent a Tahoe for my 2416 mile trip.

Apparently, the 80 felt neglected and ignored, so it's gonna show me how much.

The brake booster is failing. Haven't noticed a problem at all, but now that it sat for a while, it decided it's gonna rebel.

One pump of the brakes is ok. Two pumps and I can feel it tighten up. Three pumps and it's hard as a rock.

Better get it on order now!
Ouch. From what I remember of my parts search that isn't a cheap one. But at least you caught it early.

Ouch. From what I remember of my parts search that isn't a cheap one. But at least you caught it early.
Yeah, I made up my mind a long time ago what I'm getting.

I did discover in my search that the booster that is on my truck was apparently replaced somewhere prior to me buying it in 2012. I thought it was original, but maybe not.
It has a tag with a part number of 864-02201-5802 in the configuration of one of the other Bosch part numbers, but I can find no interchange numbers or cross-references to apply to it.
The part number that is on it does not match ANYTHING I can find anywhere.

Wrapped up the other side. Looking really nice 👍🏽

42DCB32F-1044-43BE-B6C6-7338A06C9CA7.jpeg

7ECEE023-0F7C-4B3D-8C12-4F99B026D9E6.jpeg

EAAF26BB-8762-42DD-81D4-A97DDAEB34A5.jpeg

Yeah, I made up my mind a long time ago what I'm getting.

I did discover in my search that the booster that is on my truck was apparently replaced somewhere prior to me buying it in 2012. I thought it was original, but maybe not.
It has a tag with a part number of 864-02201-5802 in the configuration of one of the other Bosch part numbers, but I can find no interchange numbers or cross-references to apply to it.
The part number that is on it does not match ANYTHING I can find anywhere.

Pics?

Not technically done during the weekend, but installed a Midland 15 watt MicroMobile during my lunch and breaks at work during the week. Also used some oil resistant gasket maker to band-aid my leaking power steering reservoir until I can find a decently priced replacement.
Secured my squeaky roof rack with some self tappers, no more squeaky roof rack. Got some off road therapy after work.

20210126_162937.jpg

20210127_141956.jpg

20210127_171632.jpg

20210112_142000.jpg

I added 2 cupholders via tuffy box! Used some 8020 to level it and it came out good. Now I have to wire in a new amp and stereo and rewire the uhf/vhf and cb to go on the console.

Another way of know if it’s the sliding window trim is the 2nd row seatbelts may be wet when pulled out. Pop the side panels above the rear wheel wells and look up. You’ll see several holes with the clips that hold the “belting” in place poking through the sheet metal. I smeared FIPG over them in my truck 10 years ago and it has been dry ever since.
Thanks, good tip. They seem dryish might but have dried out already, but I gonna smear some goo in there anyway.

ordered a sheet of magnetic vinyl to "winter delete" the sunroof....

Yes exactly right he is very frugal, definitely taking the Counter Overlander approach to his equipment!
I feel this is exactly why I watch his channel so much. You all realize he built that jeep from junkyard axles and fabricated the suspension himself. Built not bought. No fancy name brand winches. Only sponsorship he seems to have is the Yankum ropes, which he's sold me on.

Anyone ever try these for routing wire to the roof for solar or lights? Guys at Svendsen's Marine - https://www.svendsens.com/ (industrial marine hardware store of the gods in Alameda) swear by these. Tons of different sizes. Primarily design for fiberglass applications. I'm too chicken to drill through the roof skin, but this was temping, I see they're on amazon too. Not too $pendy either.

IMG_8729.jpeg

Like most, I am learning more about the economics and marketing power of YouTube and how you Make money.

If he starts mentioning Badlands winch several times you can bet a pallet full of just showed up at his shop one day! I think they call that an influencer?!?!

Self admission, since I don’t have any sponsors and based on a frequency I predict the need, I try to buy higher quality at a reasonable cost point for the job at hand when it comes to tools and equipment!
Have you guys actually used the Badlands winch? If you see in his videos he uses them and they never crap out. Maybe you "think" the winch is no good and the other "brand" names are better but do a quick search and the actual quality of these and you will see they are very good. I used a Badlands 12k synthetic winch on numerous times pulling out skidsteers, trucks and all sorts. So don't be so quick to judge the quality just by the name.

Another way of know if it’s the sliding window trim is the 2nd row seatbelts may be wet when pulled out. Pop the side panels above the rear wheel wells and look up. You’ll see several holes with the clips that hold the “belting” in place poking through the sheet metal. I smeared FIPG over them in my truck 10 years ago and it has been dry ever since.

It is possible you have leaks in two places, the headliner is a clear sunroof leak and stopped up drain.

The QTR belt moldings have little squares of rubber that act like a gasket around the clips and will leak into the rear arts and drain to the seat belts etc. and leak fairly often, but unfortunately most go undetected because it some of it settles into a well in the rear qtr that has a debris drain. Sounds like @thatcabledude has a great fix that is worthwhile even as a preventative measure, because they will leak eventually.

Have you guys actually used the Badlands winch? If you see in his videos he uses them and they never crap out. Maybe you "think" the winch is no good and the other "brand" names are better but do a quick search and the actual quality of these and you will see they are very good. I used a Badlands 12k synthetic winch on numerous times pulling out skidsteers, trucks and all sorts. So don't be so quick to judge the quality just by the name.

I haven’t, but I am betting they do the job pretty well. They just don’t have the name recognition and the years of reputable service. I think the point was he is using in a professional (getting paid) setting and many would side on the more traditional brands. I personally have only had a Ramsey fail and Wrecker services use that brand frequently!

BTW, I really like this guy and would wheel with him any day!

I feel this is exactly why I watch his channel so much. You all realize he built that jeep from junkyard axles and fabricated the suspension himself. Built not bought. No fancy name brand winches. Only sponsorship he seems to have is the Yankum ropes, which he's sold me on.

I don't mind cheap but if I was paying someone for an offroad recovery I would want it done professionally. There is a time to yank with a rope and a time to winch.

If you watch the video I posted of his, you will see him use the badlands winch. It failed, it did not pull crap. I am not so worried about brand, more about size and rope capacity. Again, if I was paying someone to recovery my rig I would not be happy if they had to yank me 50+ times to get me up a sand hill. A pickup with a professional crane type winch, the kind you see on tow trucks doing recoveries on a beach, would have winched that jeep up the hill.

Would you be a happy customer if the jeep in that video was your 80 series. In all honesty if it was your 80 series he would not have got it up that hill just by repeated yanking due to the extra weight of an 80 series. All that yanking can really mess stuff up. It did a number on Matt's jeep.

If I ever need an offroad recovery in the area I would call Ramsay's towing in Kanab. They have been getting all kinds of 4x4's and RV's unstuck for years. They recover a lot of idiots from the beaches at lake Powell. I would also consider Casey's offroad recovery.

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stick_to_the_pavement/

It is possible you have leaks in two places, the headliner is a clear sunroof leak and stopped up drain.
I wish it was clogged drain!!!! I did a full service on all four drains 2 weeks ago. The passenger side rear snrf drain was clogged like a toilet in a cheap Mexican hotel, but I cleared both sides, with the headliner out, fronts too.

I think I’m gonna start a MOAL thread soon.
Mother of all Leaks. And pull a bunch o trim out snd systematically try to isolate the ingress point. Will use water sensitive paper (TP) as leak detector.

I wish it was clogged drain!!!! I did a full service on all four drains 2 weeks ago. The passenger side rear snrf drain was clogged like a toilet in a cheap Mexican hotel, but I cleared both sides, with the headliner out, fronts too.

I think I’m gonna start a MOAL thread soon.
Mother of all Leaks. And pull a bunch o trim out snd systematically try to isolate the ingress point. Will use water sensitive paper (TP) as leak detector.
Kind of off topic but I am very curious. When you had your headliner out and you were cleaning drains, could you tell if the sliding door under the moonroof was integral to the moonroof unit?

In other words would it be possible to remove the moon roof assembly while retaining the sliding door that is underneath it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom