What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (107 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kind of off topic but I am very curious. When you had your headliner out and you were cleaning drains, could you tell if the sliding door under the moonroof was integral to the moonroof unit?

In other words would it be possible to remove the moon roof assembly while retaining the sliding door that is underneath it?
Yes, the sliding part is part of the headliner, not the sunroof.

The few that have removed their sunroof and welded in a blank have a new secret storage place for stuff.

I wish it was clogged drain!!!! I did a full service on all four drains 2 weeks ago. The passenger side rear snrf drain was clogged like a toilet in a cheap Mexican hotel, but I cleared both sides, with the headliner out, fronts too.

I think I’m gonna start a MOAL thread soon.
Mother of all Leaks. And pull a bunch o trim out snd systematically try to isolate the ingress point. Will use water sensitive paper (TP) as leak detector.

I have been there, on one of my 80's I had to regretfully change to a new sunroof. I think now there are a few fixes for a bad seal.

If it is in the headliner and I am 💯 the drains are clear and hooked back up correctly, have found it is either sunroof seal or roof rack rivnuts are compromised and determined which one by taping over those locations and running a water hose across the roof.

Admittedly, not a fun activity but leaks really suck! Good luck with the fix!

I don't mind cheap but if I was paying someone for an offroad recovery I would want it done professionally. There is a time to yank with a rope and a time to winch.

If you watch the video I posted of his, you will see him use the badlands winch. It failed, it did not pull crap. I am not so worried about brand, more about size and rope capacity. Again, if I was paying someone to recovery my rig I would not be happy if they had to yank me 50+ times to get me up a sand hill. A pickup with a professional crane type winch, the kind you see on tow trucks doing recoveries on a beach, would have winched that jeep up the hill.

Would you be a happy customer if the jeep in that video was your 80 series. In all honesty if it was your 80 series he would not have got it up that hill just by repeated yanking due to the extra weight of an 80 series. All that yanking can really mess stuff up. It did a number on Matt's jeep.

If I ever need an offroad recovery in the area I would call Ramsay's towing in Kanab. They have been getting all kinds of 4x4's and RV's unstuck for years. They recover a lot of idiots from the beaches at lake Powell. I would also consider Casey's offroad recovery.

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stick_to_the_pavement/
Yeah, I really like Matt and his team, but I've thought this many times. The ropes may be quicker and easier to setup, but a lot of times the winch is more certain to do the job and do it with less drama and stress on the vehicles. His frame can't be straight.

After 15+ years of ownership, finally removed the running boards. Getting the doohickey's (technical term) off the rear door flares was fun.

PXL_20210124_200649050.jpg

Yeah, I really like Matt and his team, but I've thought this many times. The ropes may be quicker and easier to setup, but a lot of times the winch is more certain to do the job and do it with less drama and stress on the vehicles. His frame can't be straight.
Yeah, he seems like good people and his videos are great. I certainly am not trying to knock the guy.

I have met Casey from Casey's offroad recovery years ago. He was smart and seemed like he new his stuff as a mechanic. Everyone should check out his videos.

I came across a rolled over car sometime around March or April of 2020. It was being driven by a couple of high school girls. I took them to cell service and waited until their family showed up before I left. I am pretty sure Casey recovered their car.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwDHoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2MM0EtuErX4XUlus4DRN69

Frame? Lol

Frame? Lol

Ya, good point.

I ain’t knocking the character with the recovery business in his yellow Jeep, but that thing seems like it would be better for delivering mail.

Sure it’s light, but hard pulls with a unibody Cherokee don’t seem smart after enough abuse. Sure it’s fine for pulling a little Jeep Wrangler, what if it’s a crew cab diesel he’s gotta pull out. He should probably consider a K5 blazer with a 6.2 or 6.5, or a vortex, get rid of those bald Patagonia tires and get beadlocks and a York air compressor for what he’s doing. Bigger tires with some tread left on them may have changed the video considerably.

A PTO driven winch would be easier on things too... like his alternator

Ya, good point.

I ain’t knocking the character with the recovery business in his yellow Jeep, but that thing seems like it would be better for delivering mail.

Sure it’s light, but hard pulls with a unibody Cherokee don’t seem smart after enough abuse. Sure it’s fine for pulling a little Jeep Wrangler, what if it’s a crew cab diesel he’s gotta pull out. He should probably consider a K5 blazer with a 6.2 or 6.5, or a vortex, get rid of those bald Patagonia tires and get beadlocks and a York air compressor for what he’s doing. Bigger tires with some tread left on them may have changed the video considerably.

A PTO driven winch would be easier on things too... like his alternator
At the end of the day he’s gettin’ ‘er done, and killing it on YouTube also it seems.

At the end of the day he’s gettin’ ‘er done, and killing it on YouTube also it seems.
He makes no qualms about what and who he is. His goal is to just get it done.

XJ and XJ parts are cheep. Can you imagine what we would say if we saw him flogging a LC like his XJ? No one cares about his XJ. That is why it is fun to watch.

Kind of off topic but I am very curious. When you had your headliner out and you were cleaning drains, could you tell if the sliding door under the moonroof was integral to the moonroof unit?

In other words would it be possible to remove the moon roof assembly while retaining the sliding door that is underneath it?I was moving pretty fast at that point to get in the road.
I have been there, on one of my 80's I had to regretfully change to a new sunroof. I think now there are a few fixes for a bad seal.

If it is in the headliner and I am 💯 the drains are clear and hooked back up correctly, have found it is either sunroof seal or roof rack rivnuts are compromised and determined which one by taping over those locations and running a water hose across the roof.

Admittedly, not a fun activity but leaks really suck! Good luck with the fix!
Lol. No factory rack, dodged that bullet!!!

So about a month ago I decided to mess with my power steering pump (I had accidentally messed up the gear when I replaced it about a year ago) so I took it out again to maybe file down the gear in hopes of eliminating the ticking sound it made that was driving me crazy..

While I was removing the high pressure line, I broke the retaining thing and the head snapped off. While waiting on the parts and had nothing to do I decided to solder the piece back together.
Using this wild jig,
20210124_123207.jpg

With these,
20210130_135246.jpg

It's been holding for about a month now with no leaks!
Screenshot_20210130-140221_Gallery.png

I do have the new part now but I really don't feel like doing it all over again.

20210124_123207.jpg

It is funny how the 80 thread has become such a fun discussion about Matt and his Cherokee recoveries.

I think he keeps equipment simple so he doesn’t get too far out over his skis and things seem to be going well, plenty of people to pull out in stockish Jeep’s, 2WD trucks, SUV’s and even rental cars

If he can’t do it with the equipment he has, he probably refers them to someone else who has more investment in equipment.

I grew up around a pretty wealthy older gentleman who owned 1000’s of acres of land, excavation equipment, manufacturing companies etc., he always had a 2WD truck. I asked his grandson why he didn’t buy a 4x4, he said they discourage it because he drives his property till he gets stuck and radios (they had a serious 2M/Ham set up with a base station) us to go come pull him out and we can do it with our 4x4/shop truck with a winch. He will do the same with a 4x4 and we would have to take a bulldozer or a helicopter to recover him!

Back to the theme of the thread and getting back on my 80 series rebuild after the DVS panhard bar relocation and continuing to improve the back half of the vehicle:

The heavier Slee rear 4” springs (in preparation for the LRA aux tank)

LandTank lower control arms, I have a bent stock bar so I figured I may as well upgrade

Trail Tailor LCA skids.

8C315FBB-05F4-4D43-9C61-35F894BEB759.jpeg

387F9F13-ED0E-4822-A5D2-B79DA5B2FB0A.jpeg

231F3DD9-8DCB-4721-937E-5D01E2CDF92B.jpeg

E61C3A50-1CB2-49B8-B955-AA73BBFF95FC.jpeg

That recovery video reminds me of being about 10 and hanging out with my brother in my dad’s ancient willys at the end of a dirt road that turned to sand, then deep sand on Eel Point in Nantucket. We’d wait for the tourists to drive down the road to the beach, they’d get buried up to the floorboard and we’d pull them out for about $10. We’d make about $100 each in the first two weeks of the summer then we’d live high on the hog all summer. All we had was an old hawser line from the ferry that was about as old as the willys, and shovel.

In other words would it be possible to remove the moon roof assembly while retaining the sliding door that is underneath it?
My headliner is still out of mine, the sliding door is on the moonroof unit.

Also here us a pic of my tuffy box and the little spacer I made out of 8020 to mount it. Basically i have a 1/2 spacer on the front and a 3inch overall height spacer on the back. I mounted the cupholders in the back of the unit for now. Maybe I will put them up front later if I dont like this config. But so far its good.

20210130_131539.jpg

20210130_131555.jpg

20210130_131629.jpg

Began soundproofing of the doors. SecondSkin Damplifier pro followed by luxury liner pro. Did the inside of the outer panel, then inside and outside of the inner panel. If that makes sense.

Preparing for the morel speakers.

E4F0561C-3711-46B1-935A-AF9C7BFC2F2F.jpeg
F7D77916-A468-4BB5-A539-D15F9B69F7D4.jpeg
20313447-D8E6-4E86-A140-955F8404D3F9.jpeg
74F559BB-B3AF-4A68-A616-576A48FB92D3.jpeg

There are three things I want an aftermarket front bumper to accomplish.

1. Provide a mounting location for a winch along with recovery points.

2. Increase approach angles and clearance.

3. Provide extra protection for the occasional impact with a tree, deer, shopping cart, or other BLM related obstacle. ;)

My current rig came with a metal tech front tube bumper. So far I really like the lines of this bumper and it is very light which is an added bonus. The bumper takes care of the first and second item on my list, but I thought it was lacking in the protection department.

On thursday my friend and I were talking about this subject and my lack of a tube bender to remedy the situation. My buddy proceeded to pull out an 8 ft piece of 1.5" DOM with a 90° bend on either end out of his garage and said "problem solved".

So today I modified my front bumper. I am mainly worried about smacking deer. I only added another 5" of height to the bumper, but I am quite confident this little change will make all the difference when I hit bambi again. Before it would have been a broken deer knee and shoulder blade into the headlights. Now it should be shoulder blade into the bumper and deer underneath the tire.

Before:

20201230_220741.jpg

After:

20210130_170035.jpg
20210130_140006.jpg
20210130_165222.jpg

I also got this guy charged and tucked away in the supply tote.

20210130_165404.jpg

Was not expecting to be back in here after 12K miles.
20210130_145722.jpg

It would appear that both the axle housing seal and the hub seal let go. Diff oil all over the parking brake and on the rotors.
20210130_172741.jpg

Luckily i had a set of new seals and the gasket. Didn't have replacement pads or shoes so tried to clean them up best i could with some brake clean.
I'm guessing i must have compromised the seals when i did them last time. Was super careful this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom