What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (94 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OOOOHHHH.... I am going to tell your wife you said that!
Please do. She would agree. That's why I drive when there's anything technical of any sort.

One mistake this individual made was as soon as it rocked forward, she hit the brakes hard and it lifted the LR tire. She could have driven downhill into it and saved it.

My wife also beatches at me about "screwing around" when I drive, when I'm getting a feel for the weather and the footing. Yet, when the SHTF, I drive.

Attached a Huracan Storage thingy ma bobber.

20210128_160114.jpg

Rant time....

I don't get why people use 80's for rock crawling. They can certainly handle it and perform well, but I do not think they are optimal for crawling. This is a great example of why, what a waste of a clean bodied rig.

I feel like 80 series are much better suited for general offroading, going on adventures, exploring, and boonie bashing. Rock crawlers should stick with smaller rigs.

This area is literally in my backyard. I could be up on that trail in 30 minutes. Years ago I spent alot of time wheeling sand mtn and riding dirt bikes up there. Now it has turned into a giant s*** show with a ton of idiots from Vegas and Cali in their bought not built jeeps. I can see why Matt's offroad recovery has been so successful. I almost think some people get stuck on purpose just so they can be on his YouTube channel.

Even riding dirt bikes up there has become sketchy with all the morons in their side by sides and jeeps, half of which are drinking all day, it is just too dangerous to ride up there.

I went out Tuesday evening to shoot a new gun and let the dogs get some exercise. The cliffs in the background are sand mtn.

View attachment 2567722View attachment 2567723
I want to hang out with you in your "backyard" sometime...That would be awesome to live there for sure!

Got the head off. I am a complete idiot and did it totally wrong. I did the bolts in order, but took them completely out 1 by 1. Not doing a teeny bit for each bolt around and around. Hope I didn't warp the head but will have the machine shop inspect it. Oh well, was pretty cool! Worst case I get a new head. Looks like its the stock head gasket, came off pretty easy. Lots of carbon buildup everywhere. Man this motor is going to clean up so well I can hardly wait.
View attachment 2566260View attachment 2566259
Did your headgasket blow, or is this a pre-emptive strike?

I call BS xj's don't rescue lexuses. Fake news!
Anybody can roll a vehicle....and that includes an 80 series. I have had my 80 since 1997 and I have almost rolled it several times. Most frequently happened before I had lockers and I would try to climb a super steep hill with lots of loose dirt and rocks....when you start to slide backwards, there isn't much you can do but hope for the best. Lockers have really helped because they allow more control.....I added them in 2010 and haven't come close to a roll-over since. Lockers wouldn't have helped in the video....I think she just got surprised by the lip on that rock. I do appreciate your sentiment though... my experiences have shown that jeeps break on the trail WAY more frequently than Toyotas. I think secretly even Jeep owners would admit that....Toyotas are just better made with thicker parts that count.

Last edited:
Anybody can roll a vehicle....and that includes an 80 series. I have had my 80 since 1997 and I have almost rolled it several times. Most frequently happened before I had lockers and I would try to climb a super steep hill with lots of loose dirt and rocks....when you start to slide backwards, there isn't much you can do but hope for the best. Lockers have really helped because they allow more control.....I added them in 2010 and haven't come close to a roll-over since. Lockers wouldn't have helped in the video....I think she just got surprised by the lip on that rock. I do appreciate your sentiment though... my experiences have shown that jeeps break on the trail WAY more frequently than Toyotas. I think secretly even Jeep owners would admit that....Toyotas are just better made with thicker parts that count.
After I watched that video with my son, who is an aspiring off roader as teenager, it linked us to another video where he talked about the reason he chooses XJ’s for his rescue vehicles and mentions cost Compared to a Toyota.

His build is well thought out and pretty basic to get a job completed, as much as I love my LC’s, I might too use a built XJ with 44/60’s for this purpose, so I can rescue all the lesser built Jeep’s!

After I watched that video with my son, who is an aspiring off roader as teenager, it linked us to another video where he talked about the reason he chooses XJ’s for his rescue vehicles and mentions cost Compared to a Toyota.

His build is well thought out and pretty basic to get a job completed, as much as I love my LC’s, I might too use a built XJ with 44/60’s for this purpose, so I can rescue all the lesser built Jeep’s!
Not trying to talk smack on the guy but after viewing some of his videos I think his biggest concern is price. I don't think this is bad because I am also a cheapo.

In this video where he recovers someone from the "sand chute" he says it was the hardest recovery and he does a number on his rig. In the video it would be easy to think the chute should be an easy obstacle but in reality that place is a SOB. I would never take my 80 down that trail because I am sure it would not have enough poop to make it out. I took my yz450 down that thing about 10 years ago. It took me a few attempts to get up that chute on the 450. That day I vastly improved my sand riding techniques. I actually had to take all the air out of my rear tire and I had to torque the crap out of my rim lock to get out of that canyon.

In his video of the sand chute recovery I noticed he had a badlands winch. If I made a living doing offroad recovery I certainly would not be using a badlands winch..... he ends up yanking the guy over and over again up the hill very slowly. His tires keep coming off the bead, the jeep is overheating, he toasts the front axle or something, and I also think he ruined the power steering and alternator. It was a very interesting video and I love that his XJ did make it up the hill while the newer jeep couldn't go anywhere lol. It sure seems to me like a larger nicer winch should have been able to get the stuck jeep out. But the repeated yanking and flogging of the vehicles took a big toll on his jeep and who knows what kind of damage the newer jeep sustained. On top of damage to the vehicles they really tore the trail up digging tires into the sand every 1 or 2 feet all the way up the hill....

I love the video and he comes off as a great guy, but I also feel like this was not a professional recovery.

Yes exactly right he is very frugal, definitely taking the Counter Overlander approach to his equipment!

Not trying to talk smack on the guy but after viewing some of his videos I think his biggest concern is price. I don't think this is bad because I am also a cheapo.

In this video where he recovers someone from the "sand chute" he says it was the hardest recovery and he does a number on his rig. In the video it would be easy to think the chute should be an easy obstacle but in reality that place is a SOB. I would never take my 80 down that trail because I am sure it would not have enough poop to make it out. I took my yz450 down that thing about 10 years ago. It took me a few attempts to get up that chute on the 450. That day I vastly improved my sand riding techniques. I actually had to take all the air out of my rear tire and I had to torque the crap out of my rim lock to get out of that canyon.

In his video of the sand chute recovery I noticed he had a badlands winch. If I made a living doing offroad recovery I certainly would not be using a badlands winch..... he ends up yanking the guy over and over again up the hill very slowly. His tires keep coming off the bead, the jeep is overheating, he toasts the front axle or something, and I also think he ruined the power steering and alternator. It was a very interesting video and I love that his XJ did make it up the hill while the newer jeep couldn't go anywhere lol. It sure seems to me like a larger nicer winch should have been able to get the stuck jeep out. But the repeated yanking and flogging of the vehicles took a big toll on his jeep and who knows what kind of damage the newer jeep sustained. On top of damage to the vehicles they really tore the trail up digging tires into the sand every 1 or 2 feet all the way up the hill....

I love the video and he comes off as a great guy, but I also feel like this was not a professional recovery.

Yeah, he tries to avoid winching, so he doesn't invest in a good one. 90% (Please, don't check my math. It's an estimate.) of his recoveries are with the Yankum ropes. I agree though. He's cost conscious. Which, without a viral Youtube channel, you probably have to be! But, to your point, a one-time investment in better gear might actually save you money down the road.

Yeah, he tries to avoid winching, so he doesn't invest in a good one. 90% (Please, don't check my math. It's an estimate.) of his recoveries are with the Yankum ropes. I agree though. He's cost conscious. Which, without a viral Youtube channel, you probably have to be! But, to your point, a one-time investment in better gear might actually save you money down the road.
Like most, I am learning more about the economics and marketing power of YouTube and how you Make money.

If he starts mentioning Badlands winch several times you can bet a pallet full of just showed up at his shop one day! I think they call that an influencer?!?!

Self admission, since I don’t have any sponsors and based on a frequency I predict the need, I try to buy higher quality at a reasonable cost point for the job at hand when it comes to tools and equipment!

I replaced my oil pan gasket last weekend. one of the dirtiest jobs I have done on the the old 91 Fj80 this far! somebody had gone in before me and done a bad job I think. I could see where they brushed the oil pan gasket up against the oil pickup for the pump. it had a glob of silicone on the corner of it. so far the gasket seems to be leak free. I had to undo the drag link and pull one of those braces that bolt up to the engine and transmission (don't know what that thing is called) to get the pain to fit back up there with the gasket on. It seems to be leak free. After all that work I have a new project for this weekend...... my speedometer went wacky. Its been weird in the past but I grease up the cable up so often and its usually fine. Today the temperature dipped to about 27 here. I took it on my morning drive for coffee and sped up to 40 and my speedometer went all kinds of crazy and did not get better when it warmed up. It seems it works fine until I get to about 20mph then it jumps to usually 20 - 50mph over what I am actually going. Makes a lot of noise too.(more than when I felt it needed grease.) I feel like it could be one of 2 things. 1. the actual speedometer could be broken in witch case I will have to replace it I think. any thoughts? 2. I think My speedometer cable could on its last legs and Its just in need of replacement. will be doing some tinkering this weekend.

I feel like the old 80 just fights me sometimes. When I fix one thing 2 more things pop up. How old cars go I guess.

I replaced my oil pan gasket last weekend. one of the dirtiest jobs I have done on the the old 91 Fj80 this far! somebody had gone in before me and done a bad job I think. I could see where they brushed the oil pan gasket up against the oil pickup for the pump. it had a glob of silicone on the corner of it. so far the gasket seems to be leak free. I had to undo the drag link and pull one of those braces that bolt up to the engine and transmission (don't know what that thing is called) to get the pain to fit back up there with the gasket on. It seems to be leak free. After all that work I have a new project for this weekend...... my speedometer went wacky. Its been weird in the past but I grease up the cable up so often and its usually fine. Today the temperature dipped to about 27 here. I took it on my morning drive for coffee and sped up to 40 and my speedometer went all kinds of crazy and did not get better when it warmed up. It seems it works fine until I get to about 20mph then it jumps to usually 20 - 50mph over what I am actually going. Makes a lot of noise too.(more than when I felt it needed grease.) I feel like it could be one of 2 things. 1. the actual speedometer could be broken in witch case I will have to replace it I think. any thoughts? 2. I think My speedometer cable could on its last legs and Its just in need of replacement. will be doing some tinkering this weekend.

I feel like the old 80 just fights me sometimes. When I fix one thing 2 more things pop up. How old cars go I guess.
What grease are you using for the speedo cable?

There is a specific grease for it, and if you don't find that exact thing, then white lithium grease would be the first go-to.

Speedo.jpg

What grease are you using for the speedo cable?

There is a specific grease for it, and if you don't find that exact thing, then white lithium grease would be the first go-to.

View attachment 2568631
I have been using white lithium grease. but I had no idea that there was a specific grease for the speed cable. I am going to find me some of this stuff haha. Thanks!

Like most, I am learning more about the economics and marketing power of YouTube and how you Make money.

If he starts mentioning Badlands winch several times you can bet a pallet full of just showed up at his shop one day! I think they call that an influencer?!?!

Self admission, since I don’t have any sponsors and based on a frequency I predict the need, I try to buy higher quality at a reasonable cost point for the job at hand when it comes to tools and equipment!
Bingo which is why the overland bound guy talks about kings shocks and gulwing windows on EVERY video. Looks tho like they aren’t taking the bait.

The sunroof still leaking, overwhelmed really. #deleteallsunroofs Needless to say, someone is having a lovely beach day at least.
18C5AF1A-08A6-4F87-AD68-3B9110589C5A.jpeg

The sunroof still leaking, overwhelmed really. #deleteallsunroofs Needless to say, someone is having a lovely beach day at least. View attachment 2568900
In that location (looks like driver rear door) I believe it’s possible it’s coming from the “belting” under the sliding windows. Do the rear quarters get water in them also?

In that location (looks like driver rear door) I believe it’s possible it’s coming from the “belting” under the sliding windows. Do the rear quarters get water in them also?
I suppose that’s possible. The rear corner by the hatch is damp too, but also this: above drivers head

is there a way to check that belting?

FA10000E-AE5C-44AC-9F40-A6CAEAA8F606.jpeg

I suppose that’s possible. The rear corner by the hatch is damp too, but also this: above drivers head

is there a way to check that belting?

View attachment 2568908
Another way of know if it’s the sliding window trim is the 2nd row seatbelts may be wet when pulled out. Pop the side panels above the rear wheel wells and look up. You’ll see several holes with the clips that hold the “belting” in place poking through the sheet metal. I smeared FIPG over them in my truck 10 years ago and it has been dry ever since.

Meanwhile...mocking up location for the sub.
Will add a little flat bracket and drill a new hole for the lower bolt.

Seems good to go to once I mount the sub to the main bracket.

At least this is option 1, might try another configuration before I commit
ECE2AB2B-45A2-498B-9704-00DC479F5F9B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom