What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (103 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a new front DC shaft I had made up at a local shop.

PXL_20210129_211718570.jpg

After I watched that video with my son, who is an aspiring off roader as teenager, it linked us to another video where he talked about the reason he chooses XJ’s for his rescue vehicles and mentions cost Compared to a Toyota.

His build is well thought out and pretty basic to get a job completed, as much as I love my LC’s, I might too use a built XJ with 44/60’s for this purpose, so I can rescue all the lesser built Jeep’s!
For towing, I would have to agree. Horsepower and towing capacity are both weak points for the 80 series. I would not make a business of towing with my 80 for that reason.

On the other hand, I typically wheel and hunt alone in really remote areas and I am getting long in the tooth. The most important consideration for me is the likelyhood of the vehicle breaking down and not getting me back home. I would take an 80 series over any other vehicle ever made when those were the primary considerations. Every single component in the suspension and drive line are better made and more substantial in an 80 series than in any line from Jeep or any other manufacturer's vehicles for that matter. Since those are the items that break most often offroad, I'll take my 80! I have only had to take a long walk one time in my 80 many years ago. I cut the sidewalls on two tires at once (inferior all-terrains). I use Toyo mud tires now and don't have to be too concerned.

Last edited:
Found this beauty a couple of months back at a local garage sale. $100 paid since it wasn’t working. Tore it all apart and found one bad contactor and bad wiring; some hack had been in there before me. Was gonna powder coat it but the finish cleaned up so well so I left it alone.

I’ve rebuilt ’bout 10 Warn’s in the last year or two and this one is a beast. It’s components are stout and totally oversized.

I loaded it with 85’ of 7/16“ synthetic Masterpull line and threw a cheapie cover on it and I think I’m ready for business !

9E0D9DED-C2D9-41AE-B41D-95CFB1F9EF13.jpeg

2FAA952E-BFFA-42E9-983C-20CFD5FC9751.jpeg

5BC6914D-ECCD-417F-9359-45AB0BB49D18.jpeg

DAFBDA6E-7914-4CFA-AD33-C536D98E02CB.jpeg

Quarter panel louver leak culprit?
The gasket for top trim tab was shredded, will fix that.
BF8720B6-988F-401A-BF76-421DB4363D39.jpeg

Does the other edge piece coming off the louver itself have anything to do with anything? And confirmed. Both of these are leaking into cab.
Will also assume the bottom bolt is too.
C2C738C1-73C7-4B8A-B25F-AB670650582B.jpeg
In stock at NAPA.
And now the clips.
also going to seal these.
05F6BA93-2BA4-4253-8C10-22561FF3A059.jpeg

Last edited:
What color did you spray that back panel with?...looks good!
I went with Duplicolor medium grey on everything... went ahead and cleaned with purple super cleaner, then warmed panels with a heat gun, sprayed and rewarmed to promote drying... came out good, no runs, seems to cure well to the panels. I replaced all panel clips and added some sound deadening inside the dead spaces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom