What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No Love for the 50?! Man I love that road. Way better than I80. Gotta know where to stop though.
We did find a sweet hot spring before Austin off the 376 and 50.

1596816362832.png

No Love for the 50?! Man I love that road. Way better than I80. Gotta know where to stop though.
No disrespect meant to anyone who is fond of US50. Its unique for sure

We did find a sweet hot spring before Austin off the 376 and 50.

View attachment 2396337
Spent a week camping at those springs in 2009. Mid December. Blizzard. Buddy dropped his keys while we hiked around. Got lucky and found them.
Cool area.

Spent a week camping at those springs in 2009. Mid December. Blizzard. Buddy dropped his keys while we hiked around. Got lucky and found them.
Cool area.
We only stayed one night. But made a nice little BBQ dinner on a make shift tub side table while relaxing. :lol:

2012 - May - Cruise Moab (163).JPG

Love it.
Did you check out any of the big open mine shafts in the area?
We didn't. We buzzed around some of the roads and to the upper springs and continued on to home. This was the return path from Cruise Moab 2012 and had already been on the trails for several days and wanted to get home to our beds.

Love it.
Did you check out any of the big open mine shafts in the area?
What cracked me up the most was the tennis balls to control the water flow. Don't know why. The springs around here are "little" more natural and just flow off.

/sorry off topic - carry-on tech :)

What cracked me up the most was the tennis balls to control the water flow. Don't know why. The springs around here are "little" more natural and just flow off.

/sorry off topic - carry-on tech :)
Do you even 80 brah?

Tongue length on the M416 came out perfect. No stress about jackknifing the trailer. Just stop when there's daylight in the passenger side mirror.

View attachment 2397244
I have an M416 just waiting for a bit of a build, will be adding length to the toy he for this very reason. Nice job.

Brought her home today. I've had a 100 series in the past, but this is my first 80. It's a '97 LX450 with 166k. No lockers and the paint is rough, but the body and frame are spotless with zero rust.

Starting with a full paint correction. Pic below is after washing 2x, claying, and decontaminating then washing and drying again. Breaking out the buffer tomorrow.

IMG_08082020_185713_(3120_x_2080_pixel).jpg

I've had a clunk noise I haven't been able to figure out for the past month. I had checked ALL the things, seriously. When I checked the radius arm bushings while they were on the truck they still looked good so I checked that off as not the problem. Well, after seriously checking just about every other possible culprit, I pulled the radius arms today and a few of the sleeves had separated from the rubber. Not something I could see while they were on the truck.

So I pressed in new OEM radius arm bushings today and voila! - no more clunk. Nice to finally have that not causing me headaches.
Radius arm bushings by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

New bushings

Front Swaybar Bushings and Links.

Old bushings were the originals and I should have done this a LONG time ago. All bushings had deteriorated from use and having been oil soaked. Links weren't completely shot...but very loose feeling and I replaced them as well.

Panhard bushings are on tomorrows list.

SBB1.jpg
SBB2.jpg
SBB3.jpg

Edit: Checked my Panhard Bushings this morning and found them to still be serviceable. So rather than make that my only project today, I will just do them later when I look at the rear suspension and what it needs. One good thing....I didn't have to fight any rusty bolts to remove the Panhard and inspect it. So glad I don't live in the 'rust belt'.

SBB6.jpg

SBB5.jpg

Last edited:
New-to-me rig. Pulled all rear seats and cleaned in prep for simple camper platform. All good, easy time killer with a beer, and utilized rear cubbies & storage on backs of seat covers to re-organize my gear. In the process of cleaning I found I’ve got “the” sunroof drain clog/leak to front floor, primarily driver. Now I know why the PO decided to seal the sunroof from the outside. Dingleberry, shoulda looked into it before getting caulk-happy. Guess it finally wore out.

Motor still works great though. In the process of fixing the leak I’ll probably end up with a sunroof I can use again. Hard part is doing this without a garage in Southeast Alaska. Rain-city, especially this summer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom