What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting, I'm going to measure my 200 series shaft and report back when I get home from work in a few days!

I apologize for taking a bit to confirm this but I just checked and the 200 series shaft is almost a foot longer than then 80 shaft. It does look beefier and the flanges (what looks like) the same bolt pattern. They are all about 2.5 inches between holes. The 80 shaft is 3'2" and the 200 shaft is 4' 3/8". If the 80 stuff no longer becomes available, you could get it shortened to work.

Old an neglected.

364CFDB9-5BA5-4EA9-BAFA-A0EE4ADE1FCA.jpeg

Cheers

I apologize for taking a bit to confirm this but I just checked and the 200 series shaft is almost a foot longer than then 80 shaft. It does look beefier and the flanges (what looks like) the same bolt pattern. They are all about 2.5 inches between holes. The 80 shaft is 3'2" and the 200 shaft is 4' 3/8". If the 80 stuff no longer becomes available, you could get it shortened to work.

Thanks for checking this out!! I feel it would be worth it to shorten a 200 series to the correct length for a lifted 80, no need to re-tube just shorten! Keep in mind as you lift an 80 series the drive shaft needs to be lengthened to keep the slip yolk happy.. less spline engagement in the slip yoke will make it wear out faster.

If the 200 shaft is constructed like the 100 series shaft is, most driveshaft shops will not work on it. It's not a "normal" construction where the tube is welded to the end yokes--it's friction welded instead. There is no pilot inside the tube at each end.

Recently picked up a ‘94, to do DD and camping duty alongside my ‘84. It’s been baselined and had some upgrades, but still OE headlights. So I installed Depos and did the marker/corner light swap mod for better turn signal visibility. I also swapped the headlight trims on from the OE Koitos to keep all matching patina, at least what passes for patina on an 80 :)
63AB141D-25BC-4B0D-8C81-0F27BABD237C.jpeg

If Mr. Toyota stops making 80-series drive shafts then either one of our Mud vendors or an Australian vendor is sure to start making them. There are a lot of 80s still out there and drive shaft damage is not uncommon when wheeling your rig. Slee already offers a double cardan front drive shaft. I have one on my rig. I am sure they could come up with a replacement for the rear one as well.

Got a package from @yodaTEQ today! Watched OTRAMM's video at lunch, and tackled the install after work.

20191003_154458.jpg

I cheated a bit, by only peeling back the seal half way, since it's a PITA to put back on. I used a broken pick tool to reinstall the seal, as advised in the video.
20191003_162513.jpg

Installed, and fit perfectly. What a great product!
20191003_172129.jpg

The little one approves!

20191003_172200.jpg

Last edited:
Got a package from @yodaTEQ today! Watched OTRAMM's video at lunch, and tackled the install after work.

View attachment 2098338

I cheated a bit, by only peeling back the seal half way, since it's a PITA to put back on. I used a broken pick tool to reinstall the seal, as advised in the video. View attachment 2098340

Installed, and fit perfectly. What a great product!View attachment 2098342

The little one approves!

View attachment 2098345

Nice! Ive been contemplating some gullwings for a while now. Now that I'm not using my third row seats I'm thinking I might finally pull the trigger. Just gotta pick which ones.

Nice! Ive been contemplating some gullwings for a while now. Now that I'm not using my third row seats I'm thinking I might finally pull the trigger. Just gotta pick which ones.
It makes buckling my toddler in his seat MUCH easier. I can get to my air tank without opening the tailgate, and I'll have my deflator and air hose attached to the Molle, for easy access!

Price of admission made me choose the steel option, but I think it will be fine for my needs. We don't worry much about rust out here in the West.

Very good communication from Frank at @yodaTEQ and an extremely well built product. 👍

New OEM oil cap. That’s about all I can manage during the week. Four new Toyota shocks arrived as well. Planning on installing those this weekend.

CC9BBA8F-2F8E-454D-867E-515711FA57CB.jpeg

Was going to run the rubicon with a jeeper but got a cold and then wife and kid got the cold too so that’s a no go now. :(

Installed the pintle hitch and realized it is only slightly higher than the factory receiver and stick out more so might not gained any ground clearance at all. only positive side is the 50lb weight saving. Even though it supposed to be rated at 2000lbs I wouldn’t tow anything with it.
AFF8F349-0BCA-4582-9022-2CF9EB875B44.jpeg

It’s one of those I wouldn’t do it if I knew better. Should of jumped on the 4x4labs bumper group buy instead. LOL

I've got one similar to that and it tows my ~1100# camper just great.

Was going to run the rubicon with a jeeper but got a cold and then wife and kid got the cold too so that’s a no go now. :(

Installed the pintle hitch and realized it is only slightly higher than the factory receiver and stick out more so might not gained any ground clearance at all. only positive side is the 50lb weight saving. Even though it supposed to be rated at 2000lbs I wouldn’t tow anything with it.
View attachment 2099597

It’s one of those I wouldn’t do it if I knew better. Should of jumped on the 4x4labs bumper group buy instead. LOL
Is there one you can buy that goes straight out from the bumper with no drop down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom