What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (139 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2 Weekends summed up with 1 post. Last Friday, my turbo started making bad sounds... like this:

After I tightened some of my hoses, I went for a test drive and things went bad. I had the Cruiser towed home and found this:

So, I ordered these, which arrived this Friday:

IkiNbcHh.jpg

3rcLBmjh.jpg

When removing the old turbo, we found this:
csd86Pch.jpg

New turbo is on:
nGCh2Ith.jpg

Hoping to get the PDI airbox to fit by the end of the day.

I'd like to join ya if you want company. I'll be at the expo as well and live in central VA. Shoot me a pm and we will catch up.
Will do, shoot an email rjcjr10@yahoo.com I want to hit potts mtn. AND Ill be hooking up with matt from Aylestock adventures to istall new wiring harness in my truck. So Ill be in VA for expo wiring, and RTT rally I think.

2 Weekends summed up with 1 post. Last Friday, my turbo started making bad sounds... like this:

After I tightened some of my hoses, I went for a test drive and things went bad. I had the Cruiser towed home and found this:

So, I ordered these, which arrived this Friday:

IkiNbcHh.jpg

3rcLBmjh.jpg

When removing the old turbo, we found this:
csd86Pch.jpg

New turbo is on:
nGCh2Ith.jpg

Hoping to get the PDI airbox to fit by the end of the day.

Just in time! Makes a real mess when the shaft lets go.

Cheers

I used some Gorilla Tape (albeit sloppily) to get the logo back on...

IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg

I had to do the same a while back but used contact cement. Still holding up it seems like but not the prettiest if you look closely.
That's funny - wife suggested contact cement, but I thought something called "Gorilla" anything would be cooler.

Just in time! Makes a real mess when the shaft lets go.

Cheers

Yeah after @mudgudgeon 's story about his turbo killing his engine, I got pretty worried. But it looks like I might jave dodged a bullet on this one.

Reactions: RFB
After finishing up work on this 77-series it is back to the 81.

D852432B-CE8B-44DE-99C1-FDB6FEE71072.jpeg

I got about a days worth of work on it and then it goes home.

EEA91BD0-259A-4BB8-8076-3FC779A83D2D.jpeg

55C36C01-13D2-4768-9951-D241069FA7A2.jpeg

Cheers

Dropped it at a friends shop to upgrade the stereo speakers and sub. Keeping stock stereo for stock look. Just couldn’t take the terrible sounds now that the antenna works and I actually get radio stations.

Trying to keep factory look for some reason but hoping it comes home way better that original 95’ system sounded.

Dropped it at a friends shop to upgrade the stereo speakers and sub. Keeping stock stereo for stock look. Just couldn’t take the terrible sounds now that the antenna works and I actually get radio stations.

Trying to keep factory look for some reason but hoping it comes home way better that original 95’ system sounded.

Hate to say it but speaker upgrade will do just a little for the sound system (I tried this).....lose the OEM and get a new radio, it will make them new speakers come alive...ask me how I know..;)

023.JPG

Started the weekend by hitting a deer late Friday night :frown:.

About 45mph on a two lane road and nowhere to go. Hit driver side just inboard of the bumper cap and pushed in bumper, contacted and bent valence, and snapped off one of the mounting points on the headlight bucket. All was repairable by re-bending metal and brackets except I will need to replace the headlight bucket. For now, I fabbed up a repair to the mounting tab using JB Weld and aluminum mesh. Not pretty, but at least I can drive the truck and aim the headlight.

Light Bucket.jpg

The real plan for the weekend was to remove the RS3000 security system. Following the first part of the thread below it was truly a (un)plug and play exercise. Thanks to @firetruck41 for posting.

HOW TO: Detailed DIY for Remote Start/Alarm/Keyless Entry

RS3000 Removed.jpg

Last, but not least, I greased the Birfs. Below is my new setup for a pneumatic greasing. Makes it a pain/mess free process to dump a 1/2 tube of grease into the Birfs. Total investment is $45. Gun was $35ish on Amazon and compressor was free on the side of the road 👍 (People throw away the damnedest things. All it needed was a new regulator).

Pnuematic Grease Gun.jpg

Got the second bat tray installed for on board air....now I need to mount the compressor and wire it up...it just fit with no room to spare for the mounting legs

006.JPG

Last edited:
Got the second bat tray installed for on board air....now I need to mount the compressor and wire it up...it just fit with no room to spare for the mounting legs

View attachment 2089239

I would recommend move the compressor to the cargo area maybe on a mount on the third row bracket. When we chatted you mentioned you do a lot of solo adventures and I personally would feel better with a second battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom