What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@yjeff

Great looking installs.

What size cable did you run for the inverter/sub and how long was the run (from engine compartment house/deep cycle battery I assume)? Have you tested the inverter at high load and is it working well with the cable size you have it on?

I've got a powered sub and 1kw inverter that I am considering installing in the rear quarter panel but don't know if I want to run the large cable required by the inverter since a smaller cable for just the sub would be easier to run. My research points to 2/0 cable being appropriate for the 1kw inverter which is pretty big to snake through to the rear I assume. I'm interested in your experiences and with how much you can run on that inverter without running into low voltage issues.

@jpoole

I believe it was a 0/1 awg wire. We ran it 6 yrs ago, previously I had a Xantrex 1800w inverter, but decided it was too big for what I needed. I think we started with 18 ft or so of cable and trimmed some ft off, as needed.

I ran the same 1000w inverter, in the same location, on a different 80, at 4awg, and it was fine also.

@yjeff

Great looking installs.

What size cable did you run for the inverter/sub and how long was the run (from engine compartment house/deep cycle battery I assume)? Have you tested the inverter at high load and is it working well with the cable size you have it on?

I've got a powered sub and 1kw inverter that I am considering installing in the rear quarter panel but don't know if I want to run the large cable required by the inverter since a smaller cable for just the sub would be easier to run. My research points to 2/0 cable being appropriate for the 1kw inverter which is pretty big to snake through to the rear I assume. I'm interested in your experiences and with how much you can run on that inverter without running into low voltage issues.
Very nice!

I'm running the HIR 9011's in high and low beams and nobody ever flashes me in Low.
I got flashed with my regular (non 9011) low beams the other night. I had to flash back on Hi to let em know what's up! In retrospect, he was probably telling me my lights weren't bright enough:hmm: Time to install the 9011s that have been sitting in my garage for the last 2 years...

Installed some electrical goodies in the #80series last week. Used @wits.end #quarterpanelmount to hold a 1000w sine wave inverter, 8in powered subwoofer, CTEK solar controller, and fuse block. Paired the sub with a new Sony headunit thats does Apple CarPlay or Android integration. We are pretty stoked for our drive to Baja this winter.

View attachment 1832132 View attachment 1832131 View attachment 1832130

Your Cteck is back there? Where is your second battery?

Finished one of those mods that when you get done, first thing you want to sip is a very cold brew and smile. Finally said bye bye to the carpet, and fitted the aluminium tailgate. Been a work in progress, measure a thousand times and finally drilled the holes, countersunk them and used some flat allen heads fasteners. Rounded the edges and started polishing the minor scratches. Plan is to get it all smooth and let the natural oxidation do it's thing. Very happy with the final outcome and looking forward to many outings and actions on the stainproof tail-gate

upload_2018-11-14_21-58-17.png

upload_2018-11-14_21-58-31.png

upload_2018-11-14_21-58-50.png

Finished one of those mods that when you get done, first thing you want to sip is a very cold brew and smile. Finally said bye bye to the carpet, and fitted the aluminium tailgate. Been a work in progress, measure a thousand times and finally drilled the holes, countersunk them and used some flat allen heads fasteners. Rounded the edges and started polishing the minor scratches. Plan is to get it all smooth and let the natural oxidation do it's thing. Very happy with the final outcome and looking forward to many outings and actions on the stainproof tail-gate

View attachment 1832329

View attachment 1832330

View attachment 1832331

Very nice!!!! Although there is a chance you will miss the old stained carpet. :hillbilly:

Very nice!!!! Although there is a chance you will miss the old stained carpet. :hillbilly:

Slight chance...perhaps when I need to lay down and the tailgate is hotter than a camels toes.

Builds - Bushdoctor' LX 450 - 80's Build Progress - "Berky"

Installed the slee headlight upgrade harness. Very happy with the improved light output. Researching alternate HIR bulbs. Welcoming any suggestions for even better output. (Can't afford depo lights for now).

New battery bracket. Like it but will need to mod it some to better accommodate the battery I'm running.

Builds - Bushdoctor' LX 450 - 80's Build Progress - "Berky"

I'm running Beam Tech LEDs in mine with the stock harness. I had to aim them down a touch but have been very pleased with the output and pattern and don't get flashed. I got them on Amazon and have used them on several vehicles including my wife's 4Runner and my dually. I like the beam techs because the have a heat sink and not a fan. They've been in the 4Runner and Dually for over a year with no problems.

Installed some electrical goodies in the #80series last week. Used @wits.end #quarterpanelmount to hold a 1000w sine wave inverter, 8in powered subwoofer, CTEK solar controller, and fuse block. Paired the sub with a new Sony headunit thats does Apple CarPlay or Android integration. We are pretty stoked for our drive to Baja this winter.

View attachment 1832132 View attachment 1832131 View attachment 1832130

Looks great! Are you worried about longevity with the sub and your other electronics mounted on the same panel? I would think the vibes wouldn't be great on the rest of that stuff.

Ok I see this topic is making the rounds on the forum last couple days so fairly good timing. I just picked up a BRAND NEW double cardon front driveshaft for my 80. when I bought it it had a slee DC DS and the H block cracked, then I got another from another vendor and it failed,the spring inside the ball died.
DSCN7921.JPG
DSCN7922.JPG
DSCN7923.JPG
DSCN7924.JPG
DSCN7925.JPG
. So I figured there had to be a way to get one new, not from a junk yard repainted etc. NEW so I hit up Beno and he hooked it up with a new OEM taco rear driveshaft pd the driveshaft shop a hnny and here it is. finally and its sized for my lift. Is it weird that I get slightly aroused from new parts from japan??

Looks great! Are you worried about longevity with the sub and your other electronics mounted on the same panel? I would think the vibes wouldn't be great on the rest of that stuff.

Not really worried about it, that power inverted has already been bouncing around the back of the car for 33k miles in South America. The solar controller has been about the same. I’ll go through and tighten bolts/wires every year or so. None of it is super important if it fails, I’ll still be able to get home.

I've got to talk with Cacey as he's giving you a better price. Glad I could help with the hookup to a local drive line shop.
hes not local.

After a full day of meetings yesterday, was good to be out on the job today! Stuck some of these.
11-15-2018_1.JPG

Installed the first of our new mini kiosk signs.
11-15-2018_2.JPG

11-15-2018_3.JPG

Stick them in the ground and this happens, maps are like crack to OHV users! Most that we talked with today were from Canada, eh!
11-15-2018_4.JPG

The inserts are maps, showing routes to bypass local ranches, residences, part of the project funded by Polaris and Ride Now Powersports.
11-15-2018_5.JPG

Last edited:
Success! Installed 9011 bulbs all around. The modification of the bulbs was super easy with a dremel.

I moved the o-ring from the low-beams over to the new bulbs, doubling up the orings. The old o-ring was bigger. On the hi beams the rings are the same size already.

I did have to also modify the connector on the harness for two of them. The key for the 9011 was different and it was easier to widen the slot on the connector.

IMG_20181115_213651.jpg

Last edited:

That is pretty crazy, it looks a lot like many places in Mexico I've been. Lived in San Diego my entire life but I've never been to Arizona. Looks beautiful.

Success! Installed 9011 bulbs all around. The modification of the bulbs was super easy with a dremel.

I moved the o-ring from the low-beams over to the new bulbs, dounlido up the orings. The old o-ring was bigger. On the hi beams the rings are the same size already.

I did have to also modify the connector on the harness for two of them. The key for the 9011 was different and it was easier to widen the slot on the connector.

View attachment 1833088

Next time, try nail clippers, it takes literally 5 seconds!

so why travel so far for your drive line needs? You obviously have a big need.
Why are you even posting here? WTF does this have to do with you? seriously your showing your cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom